• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

#1: Bulbasaur vs. Charmander vs. Squirtle

Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squirtle?

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Mar 17, 2014
Charmander always, not only I like its design best, it's an unstoppable beast in Kanto and Johto, and the new Mega Evolution (X not Y) just made it better.

Years
Bulbasaur was the one I chose while playing Red for the first time. Charmander gets the coolest final evolution but among these 3 I liked Bulbasaur's design best.
Plus, Ash's Bulbasaur was pretty awesome in the anime.

Sirfetch’d

Squirtle <3 For no other reason that it was my first ever Pokemon! I am being hit wit nostalgia right now so bad ;-;

*goes and plays Blue Version*

Years
I love Bulbasaur! Even though I do love the ever popular Charmander too.

I was the only kid in the class to pick the gentle flower seed dinosaur over the vivacious hot-tempered and awesome charmander. Both are great, but Bulbasaur is more appealing to my personality. I am just a sucker for plant/flower pokemon.

Squirtle, I like, not as much. However, I am not a big Blastoise fan. Though, Wartortle is one of, if not, my favorite intermediary stage water starter.

Voted Bulbasaur!
Bulbasaur%20-%20Pokemon%20Yellow_419461.jpg
Spr_1g_003.png

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Seems like Charmander won, wohoo! Unless a spur of Bulbalovers come now in the last day.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
I am actually going to rate them.

Bulbasaur - 8/10

Bulbasaur is cute and it's the only starter with a dual typing. Also, Bulbasaur has the advantage over the first two gym leaders, Brock and Misty. However, Bulbasaur's evolutions look horrible (especially Mega Venusaur).

Charmander - 5/10

Charmander is slightly overrated (and please don't get me started on Charizard) and can't really beat the first 3 gym leaders because it has the lowest defenses of the three starters and is weak against the first two. However, Charmander does look pretty badass.

Squirtle - 7/10

Squirtle is ok overall. It isn't cute in my opinion but it's still great in-game and competitively.

So overall, I'll pick Bulbasaur

disciplish

supreme meme machine
Years
This was a tough choice, but I chose Bulbasaur. Besides the fact that it needs more love, during my PMD playthrough Bulbasaur was the ish. Especially considering it has Sleep Powder, which is amazingly awesome. Although I don't like Venasaur because he's sorta... fat. ><

Normally though I would've chosen Charmander, but... I figured Bulbasaur needed the extra push. It's also probably more huggable, since I don't want to get burned by Charmander's tail.

Years
I picked Squirtle because in Pokemon Red and FireRed you can go through the elite four only using Blastoise and Zapdos, beating the elite four can be piece of cake but i do love charizard because he was my first pokemon.

Years
When I first started playing, much like most pre-teen boys, Charmander (and eventually Charizard) was easily my favorite. I mean honestly, what's not to like about a bad-ass, fire-breathing Dragon that isn't really a Dragon?

As I've gotten older though, I've found myself using the other two starters just as much- if not more than Charmander. And if I had to pick, I would go with Squirtle as my favorite Pokemon. It gets access to a lot of great moves, and has arguably my favorite Mega Evolution of the Kanto starters (sorry Mega Charizard X, you're trying just a bit too hard).

And now that we've got a new PokéPOTW up and running, this thread will be de-stickied, but feel free to continue voting and posting your opinions if you haven't already!

Trainer VyNk

Cursed Hemophillic.
Years
1. Charmander . . MoveSet, Charizard's Design, Type advantages against almost all Types, Poweful Stats if Fought all Battles, First ever pokemon as starter in all games I ever play (if availabe or I find HIM) many more can't type all that.

Charizard = Powerful Moves.

2. Squirtle . . . Never felt that I wanted Squirtle but its still strong with hydro canon and hydro pump, Picked it in Leafgreen (2nd playthrough of LG)

Squirtle = Balanced Defence.

3. Bulbasaur . . .

Uff! Never Felt Need for This weakling (Sorry) eventually I Choose him As Starter in Leafgreen (1st playthrough)

Didn't liked -: Moves, Type, Design + Evolutions nothing!

Bulbasaur = Stat Reducer.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
This is a rather tough choice, because I have a fond for reptiles in general, and all three starters were given various improvements in battles with their Mega Evolutions, which also come with useful abilities, but as far as favorites go, I may have to go with Charmander, because it evolves into a dragon despite initially not being a dragon type, unless it has a Charizardnite X.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
Charmander. ♥ My first Pokemon ever. Design-wise, the Charmander line might even be my favorite of all starters to date.

Back