• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mega Evo Sprites (Gen 4 style)

G-Master

Lead of Pokémon Roll
Years
  • Age 29
  • AZ
  • Seen May 10, 2022
My team of artists and I will be creating the mega evolution sprites in the style of Gen 4 (160x160, cropped back sprite). It won't be the quickest project ever, but feel free to contribute or improve what's already on the doc. As of posting this, it's just the front of Mega Venusaur. Sorry for quality, haven't done spriting this complicated in years.

Please give each other credit for sprites, and make sure your contributions are 160x160.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...dBRWJmMFFhcC1Tam9LRDFEbkE&usp=drive_web#gid=0

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2014
Hey it looks cool! I think some parts of the sprite could be improved, and the outlines shouldn't be all black like that, though other than that it looks really cool!

Last edited:

G-Master

Lead of Pokémon Roll
Years
  • Age 29
  • AZ
  • Seen May 10, 2022
Hey it looks cool! I think some parts of the sprite could be improved, and the outlines shouldn't be all black like that, though other than that it looks really cool!

Thanks! I actually didn't have all the outlines as black before (since the upper left outline of the sprite tends not to be black), but the shading on the leaves made it look too ... real. So I changed it. I'm sure I'll go back and edit it after I make a few more and get my skills back on track :)

the__end

Pixel Artist
Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
Thanks! I actually didn't have all the outlines as black before (since the upper left outline of the sprite tends not to be black), but the shading on the leaves made it look too ... real. So I changed it. I'm sure I'll go back and edit it after I make a few more and get my skills back on track :)

You have done the most basic mistake in spriting, you used to many colors. Pokemon sprites have a limit of 15 colors + transparent background and you used 21 colors + transparent background. Even thought it doesn't sound like a big mistake, it will differ from the other 649 Pokemon sprites.

G-Master

Lead of Pokémon Roll
Years
  • Age 29
  • AZ
  • Seen May 10, 2022
You have done the most basic mistake in spriting, you used to many colors. Pokemon sprites have a limit of 15 colors + transparent background and you used 21 colors + transparent background. Even thought it doesn't sound like a big mistake, it will differ from the other 649 Pokemon sprites.

The more you know I guess. Not sure how I feel about this though. I definitely want to respect that 15 color limit, but Mega Venusaur definitely has more colors than regular Venusaur (where I took most of the colors.) I'll take a look into removing some of the colors (specifically the dark greens on the lower leaves and vines).

Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2014
Oh right the color limit! It's been so long since I last sprited I had forgotten about it, it explains why your sprite felt so different. Here's a tip: look at colorful Pokémon, like Sigyliph. Then look at Pokémon with few colors like Cinccino. All Pokémon have the same number of colors, but plain Pokémon have many different shades of the same color, while colorful Pokémon have only a small amount of shades of each color. I suggest you take all the colors for your Mega Venusaur sprite directly from the Venusaur sprite, since all colors of the former can be found in the latter.

G-Master

Lead of Pokémon Roll
Years
  • Age 29
  • AZ
  • Seen May 10, 2022
I suggest you take all the colors for your Mega Venusaur sprite directly from the Venusaur sprite, since all colors of the former can be found in the latter.

I did technically, but I added at least four more colors that weren't in the original (the two shades of green on the lower leaves and vines, the darkest shade of brown, and the lip color I believe). I'll try to remove the ones I added, but I'm not sure if the sprite will look colored properly afterwards.

Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2014
If you shade it right, It shouldn't look weird. However, knowing how to shade it right might be hard, and the colors aren't the only problem with the sprite.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 4, 2023
Hi,

I am currently working on resizing the megaevolution backsprites that were made in Gen V style, so to fit the size of the sprites of gen IV.
It is a pretty boring task, usually takes about half an hour ~ 40 minutes to resize each backsprite.
Is this the kind of sprite you are talking about?
Tell me if this is the case, so I'll post the ones I have completed so far.

G-Master

Lead of Pokémon Roll
Years
  • Age 29
  • AZ
  • Seen May 10, 2022
Hi,

I am currently working on resizing the megaevolution backsprites that were made in Gen V style, so to fit the size of the sprites of gen IV.
It is a pretty boring task, usually takes about half an hour ~ 40 minutes to resize each backsprite.

Yeah, I'm not really picky as to how we get the sprites, as long as they are 160x160 and fit that color limit. So if you have anything that fits those requirements (front or back), feel free to add them to the spreadsheet and give yourself credit.

Years
  • Seen Jun 1, 2018
Hi,

Can you post them?
I really want to see them :D

Back