• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon StunningSteel

CaveNinja

ROM hacking duo
Years
fg44IyP.png

:pokeball: Intro
Hey everyone! We (Vcaveman and Seatrekninja) have been working on this hack for over a year now, and are pleased to share our creation with you. We hope you'll have as much fun playing it as we are having making it! The primary goal of this hack is to take the most outstanding feature of Pokémon X and Y - character development - and bring that to Pokémon FireRed, adding multiple rivals with fully-developed backstories which motivate their actions. To spice things up, we've given the player the power to make choices that will impact their relationship with their friends/rivals. We've also given the player the option to do a lot of things we've always wanted to do in FireRed, like take both fossils in Mt. Moon or walk back to Mt. Moon from Cerulean City.

The product of these endeavors is Pokémon StunningSteel - a branching story with rich character development and convoluted plot twists that ultimately converges to one of three possible endings.

Going along with the theme of choice, we've given the player plenty of options to customize their team of Pokémon by adding Pokémon like Heracross and Charmander to the wild, as well as giving several Pokémon access to their hidden ability, such as Drizzle Politoed and Flash Fire Typhlosion. All while preserving the classic feel of Kanto. More details on gameplay features can be found below. But first, a little background on your journey!​

:pokeball: Story
The year is 2008, a decade after the Great Pokémon War. Your late father, a master of Steel-type Pokémon, is hailed as a national hero. However, you don't remember much about him, apart from the stories your mom tells you and the glorified accounts of the media.

Nevertheless, just like your dad, you've always been gifted when it came to Pokémon. Although you didn't have time to raise your own Pokémon while you were in school, that didn't stop you from making a name for yourself at various battle facilities using rental Pokémon. Now, after graduating at 17, you decide to embark on your own journey to see what the world of Pokémon holds for you as a trainer.

However, your path is not as straightforward as you imagined it would be, and you soon find yourself faced with decisions that have the power to impact those around you, for better or for worse. What kind of mark will you leave on the world? On your friends? How far will you go to pursue your goals? The choices are in your hands.

On your adventure, you'll struggle through difficult battles and form bonds with rivals and friends alike. You'll laugh. You may even cry. You'll unravel mysteries and expose hidden motives. Your journey will become one of self-discovery as you delve deeper into your father's past and explore the meaning of destiny. But be careful which paths you take. In this tale, you are no mere spectator.​

:pokeball: Features
  • Branching choice-based plot development: As I mentioned before, the story is the main focus of this hack. There are 4-6 friends/rivals (depending on your definition), and several other named characters with solid backstories. Your relationships with (most) of them are dynamic, and ultimately the choices you make will determine which of 3 possible endings you receive.
  • 151++ Pokémon: All 151 original Pokémon are available through traditional solo gameplay. In addition, almost every Pokémon from Gen 2 and 3 are available; they are just extraordinarily rare in the wild, to make sure Kanto still feels like Kanto. I'm including a pdf which documents all of the gameplay changes, including evolutions and wild Pokémon, so you don't have to run around blindly if you really want a Bagon :).
  • Difficulty: Moderate (significantly harder than vanilla, but not crazy)
    Most NPCs near the beginning of the game are untouched, but once you get to Celadon City, they start gradually increasing in difficulty. The main challenge comes from several battles with your 4 rivals and other special NPCs (e.g. the captain of the S.S. Anne). We put a lot of work into making the gameplay enjoyable for all levels of players. To that end, we implemented a losable battle system so that we could add difficult battles without hindering plot progression for less experienced players. These battles generally entail max IVs and custom (legal) movesets, as well as generally high levels. There are plans to add custom EV spreads after Fuchsia.
  • Losable battles: Battles against your two strongest rivals are losable unless the plot absolutely requires you to win (e.g. you have to beat Gary during the champion battle!). By losable, I mean that if you lose the battle, the plot will (usually) progress the same as if you had won, although the character you lost to will remember whether you won or lost. Watch out, though - a few battles have higher stakes (Pokémon, items). There is a poster on the wall of your bedroom that displays a record of your wins/losses against your main rival (Gary/Blue), excluding the first battle in Prof. Oak's lab.
    Spoiler:
  • Revamped EV Training Hotspots: All available before Silph Co., almost all with 100% encounter rate! See pdf for details.
  • Hidden abilities: Around 30 evolutionary lines have been updated with their hidden abilities from Gen 5 (again, see pdf for details).
  • Updated movesets: Around 30 Pokémon have had their movesets updated, mostly for flavor (e.g. Cut on Zangoose) or convenience (i.e. egg moves and Emerald tutor moves are instead learned at Lvl 1 so they can be taught by the move relearner). (Again, see pdf... you know the drill.) This list will likely expand. Feel free to leave suggestions in the comments!
  • Run indoors; Running Shoes available before you leave Pallet Town.
  • TMs reusable
  • Poison overworld effects disabled
  • Pokéballs reusable (but more expensive)
  • EXP gain after catching Pokémon
  • Repel system from BW2 (When Repel wears off, it asks you if you want to use another)
  • Various minor gameplay changes, such as making Lava Cookie a held item. (You guessed it! See pdf for details)
  • Gen 4 Physical/Special Split - currently an optional patch. If nobody is playing the gen 3 mechanics route, we will just simplify the process and add the Gen 4 PSS to the main patch with the next beta.

:pokeball: Screenshots
O2xUDP9.png
rYTkxOK.png
4Tko9Nn.png
iV1315z.png
f97eYIn.png
QCAAPqe.png
0Byp3tI.png
mpLISvr.png
GhBL49L.png
e3sQsMf.png
GXsLvxN.png
on8Gis2.png
WIPPCUm.png
YpfgCqG.png
GSjiLJ3.png
TQpPbgz.png
D4sdLGH.png
qF8U4cw.png
XXMY9Qb.png
jrelXQc.png
2AVjPZ2.png
wEO92cP.png
YT7mV0d.png

:pokeball: Credits
There are soooo many people to thank. I've put a (hopefully) complete list of credits in the pdf. But a few people are especially deserving of credit:
  • Seatrekninja: My partner on this project and StunningSteel's primary storyboarder. It goes without saying, but StunningSteel wouldn't exist without him.
  • HackMew: For multiple tools, XSE, and groundbreaking work that enables us to do awesome things like run indoors.
  • LU-HO: For AdvanceMap, without which I probably would not be hacking.
  • Jambo51: For the safe flag expansion patch, which makes my life so much easier.
  • JPAN: For the saveblock extension patch that is required for Jambo51's safe flag expansion.
  • Navenatox, knizz, Touched: For the Dynamic Overworld Palettes patch, which is too clutch.
  • karatekid552: For excellent documentation of the uses of various flags and variables, which I reference regularly.

:pokeball: Misc. Notes
  • Please do not try to Nuzlocke this game. Some of the losable battles are pretty darn near impossible to win.
  • Pokéballs are more expensive now. Don't squander them on Pidgeys at the beginning of the game if you want to have them when you run into that ultra rare Heracross!
  • Completing the Kanto dex is very reasonable. Also, we will almost certainly add the rest of the Pokémon from Johto (except Celebi) before the final release. However, completing the National Dex will be impossible without trading because we have no plans to add Groudon, Kyogre or Rayquaza.
  • The plot order has been altered slightly, and some events have different triggers now. Specifically, note that you have to explore both Cycling Road AND Routes 12-15 in order to get into Silph Co. As a rule of thumb, if you get stuck somewhere, you just need to push forward in another location. The triggering events are generally pretty easy to find, especially if you know what Kanto normally looks like.
  • IMPORTANT: If you finish the game and want to restart a brand new save file, you need to remove the .sav file from the folder your game is in. If you do not, the game will "remember" that you have completed certain events in the previous game which will mess up events in your new game. It doesn't cause any actual bugs in the ROM (.gba file), but basically an old .sav file (.sgm is fine!) will mess with your new save file if you restart the game.

:pokeball: Bugs
We've put a lot of work into making a bug-free experience for you! If you do find a bug, please let us know and we will try to fix it ASAP.
List of known bugs/features:
  • Safari Zone fishing - FEATURE. If you catch a Pokémon while fishing in the Safari Zone, it will steal your fishing rod. But never fear! The attendant will give you a new rod when you leave the Safari Zone. Unless, of course, you lose your Old Rod, in which case the rod he gives you will, in fact, be old. I'll see my way out now.
  • Double Battles on Route 10 (event) - Bug, stylistic (does not affect gameplay). If you go into a double battle with more than one Pokémon in your party, but only 1 Pokémon is un-fainted, you will enter a double battle and will send out a fainted Pokémon as your second Pokémon. It looks weird, but does not affect the battle at all. That is, the fainted Pokémon will be unable to battle and will not be targeted by the AI. If your first Pokémon faints, you will lose the battle (the fainted Pokémon you sent out is correctly considered fainted).
  • In-game save function makes Registered Key Item disappear - Legitimate bug, but easily avoidable. Apparently, if you have a Key Item registered to the Select button and you save the game using the in-game save function, then restart the system and use the in-game load function (Continue), the registered Key Item will be gone. Avoid this by either 1) using save states, not battery files OR 2) deselecting the Key Item before saving and quitting. If you have encountered this before in another hack and/or have an idea what might be causing it, help your dude out and drop some knowledge (I don't know why this is happening). I'll try to implement a functional fix when I get the time.

:pokeball: Support Banners/Fan Art
Thanks to Oppenheimer for these awesome graphics!
Spoiler:

:pokeball: Downloads
StunningSteel v1.3.3 beta:
Release date: June 27, 2017
Notes: Bug fixes and minor improvements. See this post for details.

StunningSteel v1.3.2 beta:
Release date: April 8, 2017
Notes: Bug fixes and minor improvements. See this post for details.

StunningSteel v1.3.1 beta:
Release date: September 22, 2016
Notes: Minor improvements. See this post for details.

StunningSteel v1.3 beta:
Release date: September 18, 2016
Notes: The first public beta release is complete through Fuchsia City, including Fuchsia Gym. Essentially, anywhere you can reach without Surf is ready to go. Save files from v1.3 should be compatible with all future betas.

Download includes a pdf with extensive documentation of gameplay changes (evolutions, wild Pokémon, EV training hotspots, etc.)
In case you missed that.

:17: Gen 4 Physical/Special Split patch: http://www.mediafire.com/download/aw4211xgoktlaae/Gen4PSS.ips
This is an OPTIONAL patch that adds the Gen 4 PSS and updates important trainers' movesets to make use of the change. Apply this patch AFTER you apply the main patch, StunningSteel.ips. If you prefer the type-based system of Gen 3, then you should just ignore this patch (but comment below to let us know your preference, otherwise the Gen 4 PSS will be officially added to the next beta and you won't have a choice in the future). Credit to doesnt for the mechanics patch, Darthatron for the original ASM routine to display the P/S icons and Jambo51 for its improvement.

New to Pokémon ROM Hacks? Here's how to apply the patch:
Spoiler:

Please have fun! Suggestions and feedback are always welcome!

Last edited:

FelipeGazolla

I'm here just for Pokémon Adventure Red
Years
Man, it looks incredible. This system of choices changing the storyline and a lot of rivals, i love it. Your game will be very great when full, i wish luck for you! Just for curiosity, how is about the progress of the game (in percentage)?

Years
I am going ot try this hack out! I love games that have multiply chooses that can lead to different endings. I guess smt and persona are fault for my love of this type of games and visual novel too. :p

CaveNinja

ROM hacking duo
Years
EDIT: status update
Man, it looks incredible. This system of choices changing the storyline and a lot of rivals, i love it. Your game will be very great when full, i wish luck for you! Just for curiosity, how is about the progress of the game (in percentage)?

Thanks! I'm really glad you're so excited about it! To answer your question, I feel like I need to break up "progress" into 3 parts: 1) features, 2) timeline and 3) plot/character development

1) Features: 70% complete in terms of impact to player; 40% in terms of work for me :P
Spoiler:
2) Timeline: 50%
Spoiler:

3) Plot/character development: 40%
Spoiler:

All this being said, these percentages are just rough estimates. It's hard to gauge some of these things, and events/maps tend to evolve when you actually sit down and code them into the game.

Hope that answers your question. Enjoy!
I am going ot try this hack out! I love games that have multiply chooses that can lead to different endings. I guess smt and persona are fault for my love of this type of games and visual novel too. :p

Awesome! I think you'll enjoy this! I was initially inspired to do something like this after watching my sister turn Dragon Age into a soap opera back in 2012 lol

Last edited:

Crizzle

Legend
Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 7, 2024
I'm gonna be very frank with you.

This hack looks incredible. I love seeing a new hack emerge that looks really legit.

I do have one question: I'm assuming you used trainerbattle 0x9 in order to do loseable battles. However, I wasn't aware that you could track your record, of whether you win or lose. If you're willing, could you tell how you pulled that off?

Regardless, I'm going this try this out.

BluRose

blu rass
Years
Spoiler:
do you access to knizz's idb? i think there's a battle_outcome byte somewhere in the RAM iirc~

CaveNinja

ROM hacking duo
Years
This hack looks incredible. I love seeing a new hack emerge that looks really legit.
Thanks man! That means a lot coming from someone with as many completed hacks as you.
I'm assuming you used trainerbattle 0x9 in order to do loseable battles. However, I wasn't aware that you could track your record, of whether you win or lose. If you're willing, could you tell how you pulled that off?

Yeah, no problem! I think the trainerbattle command has a lot of untapped potential that is poorly documented. I'm sporadically working on cataloging the nuances of the different trainerbattles and filler bytes. At some point, I'll post my findings in R&D. But the most useful finding so far is keeping track of wins/losses with trainerbattle 0x9, which I can explain quickly here.

The utter simplicity of this finding is perhaps the reason why it went unnoticed for so long.
Spoiler:

Yeah. That's really all there is to it! And by all means, tell others; information sharing is the cornerstone of our hacking community. Of course, credit for the research is always appreciated :) (but not necessary, since in the end all I did was discover a built-in feature that had been there all along).

Cheers, mate! Hope this is helpful, and I hope you enjoy StunningSteel!

Last edited:

Crizzle

Legend
Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 7, 2024
Thanks man! That means a lot coming from someone with as many completed hacks as you.

Yeah, no problem! I think the trainerbattle command has a lot of untapped potential that is poorly documented. I'm sporadically working on cataloging the nuances of the different trainerbattles and filler bytes. At some point, I'll post my findings in R&D. But the most useful finding so far is keeping track of wins/losses with trainerbattle 0x9, which I can explain quickly here.

The utter simplicity of this finding is perhaps the reason why it went unnoticed for so long.
Spoiler:

Yeah. That's really all there is to it! And by all means, tell others; information sharing is the cornerstone of our hacking community. Of course, credit for the research is always appreciated :).

Cheers, mate! Hope this is helpful, and I hope you enjoy StunningSteel!

Thanks. I can't believe the answer was so simple. I will certainly be enjoying StunningSteel.

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
I must admit the hack you've described sounds like it could be a lot of fun! I'll have to give that beta a play soon.

Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Jan 17, 2017
The hack looks great but I have a couple suggestions.

I noticed there is no physical/special split in this one. Was that done on purpose? I would really recommend adding it since there are other post gen 3 features.
I would also recommend putting fairy-types in the game if you haven't already. Not necessarily any of the newer ones but just ones that were updated as fairy-types like Jigglypuff and Clefairy.

CaveNinja

ROM hacking duo
Years
The hack looks great but I have a couple suggestions.

I noticed there is no physical/special split in this one. Was that done on purpose? I would really recommend adding it since there are other post gen 3 features.
I would also recommend putting fairy-types in the game if you haven't already. Not necessarily any of the newer ones but just ones that were updated as fairy-types like Jigglypuff and Clefairy.

Thanks for the suggestions! Both of these were intentionally left out, but they may be added to the final release. The problem with the Gen 4 PSS is it kills some classic Gen 3 movesets. For example, if you implement the PSS, Gengar and Alakazam no longer have access to any viable Fire or Ice type attacks (HP notwithstanding, but who's going to breed for that in a hack), Snorlax loses Shadow Ball, etc. You bring up a good point about the existence of other post-gen 3 features, though, so we'll give this serious consideration. It may come in the form of an optional patch which contains the Gen 4 PSS, Fairy type, post-gen 3 moves and full Gen 6 BP/Acc updates. That seems like a good middle ground to cater to those weird ones among us (such as myself) who find the gen 3 mechanics rather charming.

I feel like Fairy typing doesn't really have a point when it only affects 8 families and there aren't any Fairy-type moves. But you're right, for completeness' sake, in the final release it would be reasonable to add Fairy type and Fairy-type moves.

I won't add anything that is buggy (seen a lot of hacks that mention Fairy type or various post-gen 3 abilities/moves in their known bugs list) at least until I can fix the bugs. Also, I won't add new moves until the end of the game, since I use YAPE so frequently and it isn't compatible with a PGE-expanded move table.

Again, thanks for the suggestions! Up to this point it's mainly been seatrekninja and I discussing gameplay changes and making decisions on our own, so we would love to hear the community's opinion on what you want to see in the final version.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 14, 2021
I believe the PSS is a must-have for a modern combat experience.
Gengar without a strong shadow ball just doesn't feel right.
Also, I want to try Hitmonchan with Fire/Ice/Thunder Punch, seems very fun.
So please consider adding the PSS.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 25, 2017
just a question how do you battle fushia gym?
Do you mean how to get in? If that is the case then the door will remain blocked until a certain event is completed. Explore a bit and you'll figure it out. If I were you I'd go east.

Last edited:

NeoSpeedFreak

A piece of meat
Years
Thanks for the suggestions! Both of these were intentionally left out, but they may be added to the final release. The problem with the Gen 4 PSS is it kills some classic Gen 3 movesets. For example, if you implement the PSS, Gengar and Alakazam no longer have access to any viable Fire or Ice type attacks (HP notwithstanding, but who's going to breed for that in a hack), Snorlax loses Shadow Ball, etc. You bring up a good point about the existence of other post-gen 3 features, though, so we'll give this serious consideration. It may come in the form of an optional patch which contains the Gen 4 PSS, Fairy type, post-gen 3 moves and full Gen 6 BP/Acc updates. That seems like a good middle ground to cater to those weird ones among us (such as myself) who find the gen 3 mechanics rather charming.

I feel like Fairy typing doesn't really have a point when it only affects 8 families and there aren't any Fairy-type moves. But you're right, for completeness' sake, in the final release it would be reasonable to add Fairy type and Fairy-type moves.

I won't add anything that is buggy (seen a lot of hacks that mention Fairy type or various post-gen 3 abilities/moves in their known bugs list) at least until I can fix the bugs. Also, I won't add new moves until the end of the game, since I use YAPE so frequently and it isn't compatible with a PGE-expanded move table.

Again, thanks for the suggestions! Up to this point it's mainly been seatrekninja and I discussing gameplay changes and making decisions on our own, so we would love to hear the community's opinion on what you want to see in the final version.

You know who gets the biggest hit from the lack of PSS?
Dark types.
Gen 2 and 3 Dark type Pokémon are Physical attackers and the type is special, giving them a big hindrance when using their STAB. And Houndoom wouldn't even get that big of a nerf from the PSS because all the Dark type moves would become physical, 90 Base Attack can work.

CaveNinja

ROM hacking duo
Years
Gengar without a strong shadow ball just doesn't feel right.
You know who gets the biggest hit from the lack of PSS?
Dark types.

Alright, alright, you guys have sold me lol. I'll put it in, probably before the end of the day tomorrow. Thanks for letting us know how you feel :)

I have done all the events i can think of but still cant get in The gym
Wow, I'm happy you're progressing so nicely. Fuchsia Gym is actually the last part of this beta, and isn't available until much later (after Saffron Gym and other stuff). Silph Co. is probably your next stop, assuming you've made it back up to Lavender from Fuchsia.

Back