• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Falling asleep to music.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
I'm trying this right now! Playing some Youth Lagoon in the background while I'm trying to go to sleep. So far, it's not working. Have any of you guys ever tried to use music to help you fall asleep? What did you listen to and how did you listen to it (i.e. headphones or speakers)? Did it even work?

Go!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
Music keeps me up. I can't sleep with any sounds going on around me other than the sound of a fan and natural sounds coming from outside, like rain and thunder.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I used to have a playlist for sleep time and I'd let it go on and on while I tried to sleep and I'd try to remember the last song I heard when I woke up. And then I would go check last.fm to see how quick I fell asleep going by the last song I heard prior to falling asleep. It never really made me fall asleep, cause I'd listen and reflect depending on the song and how it made me feel, especially when I do a lot of thinking at night in my bed. But usually I was already really tired and I don't like the room being silent when I go to bed. It freaks me out.

I don't do that anymore though. I do however use ProtonJonSA's Superman 64 LP to fall asleep though. The music in that game is so bland that it luls me and then I laugh at the commentary so I can go to sleep happy.

Years
400th post, woot!

Yes, I've tried falling asleep to music. As nice as the music sounded, the headphones were too bulky and in the way, and the music was...distracting. Perhaps that's because it was Disney I was listening to. :/

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I usually listen to music before going to bed , but not sure if that counts as using it to help me sleep. I sometimes put on quiet peaceful ambient or classical music (like Adam Young of Owl City's ambient project, Port Blue) to me sleep and it works alright. It calms me enough to want to go to sleep. I use to have sleep timer playlist on my iPod with soft music just for sleeping. I worked alright until my iPod broke. :(

Algo Fonix

oh god
Years
The only album I've successfully fallen asleep/slept to is Hliðskjálf by Burzum. It's dark ambient, so it's very easy to relax to.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
I can't actually fall asleep without music. I hate going to sleep when nothing is playing, I just hate the silence. I can't fall asleep if a DVD or something is playing in the background, either, it makes me want to stay awake and watch. Music is my only option, I just put my earphones in and drift off. I usually wake up lying on my iPod or my earphones wrapped around my arm or something but idc. The music I actually fall asleep to is usually glee. idec what people say it helps me sleep so....

Years
Yeah, sometimes classical music can make me drowsing. I listen the music with headphones, browsing with my Android and lie down to the bed. That will make me sleeping in about 30-80 minutes. Its all because the melody of music. They made my eyes heavy for still awake :D

Years
Only rarely do I listen to music to fall asleep. It usually doesn't help. For me, it's got to be music I know really well. It helps if it's also vocals-light (or has no vocals at all) and is low-energy.

I would use headphones because that helps drown out any other sounds that might be keeping me from sleeping.

This is some of what I'd listen to.

Spoiler:

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
Used to do it when I was 12-13, never been able to do it since then.

But I sleep easily if the TV is on, just can't do music. Iunno.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
I'm not sure whether music actually helps me or not to be true. I tend to find headphones too much of a distraction when I'm tossing and turning, but don't really have a stereo to use or anything. Things I have listened to in the past though would be Damien Rice and Ludovico Einaudi, so east-listening really. I wouldn't listen to anything overly full of energy.

Most commonly I listen to audio-books to help me to sleep. I find those are the most soothing. However, then I find myself not remembering some of what was said when I fell asleep so it's a win-lose situation.

Years
I've slept to heavy metal on several occasions. Usually on lengthy car trips I put the earphones in and doze off. I've played metal through the stereo a few nights and I did fall asleep to it but I think the earphones are more effective for me.

Arcturus.

Chews nails and spits napalm
Years
For the past couple weeks, I have been listening to music as I fall asleep almost every night. It doesn't seem to matter what type of music it is as long as I enjoy it. The only downside is my earphones get all tangled up in my sleep and I had to replace a pair before because one of the earbuds died and listening to music out of one ear is not very enjoyable.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
During car rides I would have music in and be getting some rest unless I'm driving. Then I use music to keep myself awake. When I'm in bed though sometimes I can fall asleep to music, but it's usually a light sleep and wake up several times. Only when I'm extremely tired do I fall asleep to music then.

Other than that, more than not music wakes me up. When my sister puts on her music while doing her morning things before school it typically wakes me up and I lay around half-sleep until she's off to school.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
Just like Patchisou Yutohru mentioned, I can't sleep with sounds on except for the fan or the sounds of nature, but for me it must be a bit on the colder side, I need to be in a comfy position on the bed. Otherwise I will just be lying in bed turning from one side to another.

Once in a while I will fall a sleep watching a TV show or movie that is on but after I had a big meal.

Back