• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

In depth Advance Map tutorial

Attilas

Anime-paradise.info Owner.
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 1, 2011
Well first of all i would like to say hello.I went through the tutorial i knew most of the things but the map script part was interesting probably gonna use it.thanks for your effort.
Now i created a new map.It's a second floor on the hero's character house.Gonna make the dad reasearching on pokemon and probably add some interesting scripts but now i would like to work on mapping as i find it more interesting.
here's the 1st floor where the hero's room is and i made there the swap thingy

and here's the 2nd floor his dad's secret lab.i am thinking of making something like putting a sprite infront or w/e in order to not let the hero get up to his dad until a point of the game. so here's the map.
the warp that takes me the lab but when i want to go back to the hero's room i can't.any ideas?
P.S. i will put the links of the images on my siggy cause the forum won't allow me till i get 15 posts.>.<
well i can't show em in my profile either so just go to my profile and then hobbies.I would really appreciate any help.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 30, 2009
How do I insert .PNG tilesets?
I downloaded this .PNG off of the tileset section of WAH. How do I insert them?

Thanks! Great tutorial by the way!

videoman

I'm no hero. And never was.
Years
Weird Map and Bank insert problem

Hey there, i am having problems with inserting any map. Here's the problem:
When i insert the Map into a new bank it instead goes to different Map Bank. For example, if make i new map and insert it it will go to the Pallet Town Bank instead of the new bank. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Can someone please help me out?

Thanks

Videoman

onyx79

Red Dead Revolver
Years
great you screwd my game!
I wanted to take a tile from emerald and insert on firered and that's what happend:
2uorigk.gif

Sophidius

Need a storyline? PM me!
Years
How do you connect maps without having the border blocks between them?
Now, when I insert the tiles and I want to connect the maps so they overlap it doesn't show the other at all, just the border blocks. How do I fix this?
(btw, It's about the starting town and route 1 which is on the right of the starting town)

Years
Ohh I needed this, thanks. :3

I still think that replacing tiles is really confusing. @_@ If anyone could help me by clearing it up for me that would be great. :'D

Try4se

Try4se
Years
for some reason my warps wont work they warp me to the right place but somewhere random in the room,could someone help me?
Go to the map you are warping to.
Go to events.
Create a new warp, and put it where you want the person to end up.
Record what number the warp is.
Go to the other map.
Click on the other warp.
It will say
To Map no:
Map Bank:
Map:
Put in the warp number in where it says "To map no:"

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
What causes the 'Cannot read bytes at end of file' error :\ It keeps occurring for (I think) no reason, and thanks to it I just lost an entire map :\.

Realised I didn't have the latest files, is the problem fixed in 1.92? hopefully!

Last edited:

link12552

decade club
Years
What causes the 'Cannot read bytes at end of file' error :\ It keeps occurring for (I think) no reason, and thanks to it I just lost an entire map :\.

Realised I didn't have the latest files, is the problem fixed in 1.92? hopefully!

Updating would probably be the first thing to try, your rom should not be filled but if it is this happens. if so:

Open your rom in XSE and in "tools" goto extend rom and change it to 32mb:nervous:

Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2011
Hey well i was wondering how you put new maps on and not have them part of another map. every time i make a new map it puts it pallet town. and i want it on route 1?

great stuff really helpfull

1. Click new map
  2. Insert the pallete header ect...
  3. Draw you map
  4. Click insert map
  5. Under replace map put in header = 3 bank = 19
This should insert the map in route 1

Cuation: Make sure that the number of trees before the opening is the same as before.

View attachment 43959

Hope it helps

Nice to see people like it!

I'm having the same problem, any time I try to replace a map It becomes pallet town. I replacing 3.19 with another map, and it becomes pallet town.

Also, what do you mean by "Make sure the number of trees before the opening is the same as before"? The new route 1 needs to have the same trees as the old route 1, or the new route 1 needs to have the same trees as the map I plan to connect it to?

Last edited:

Winterbane

Ice Emperor
Years
I have a problem with saving changes to tilesets. For example; I wanted to use Pallet Town's trees, signage, and grass in a Ruby ROM (I need to for the HM Dive) as well as Cinnibar Island's lab building. However, when I edit one of the all-black palettes with the colorsets I want from LG/FR and create my new tileset, all is well on AdvanceMap. However, once I've saved in AdvanceMap and closed the program, anything using my new palettes becomes solid black in the program. In the ROM, it becomes a messed up variety of colors. Is there a way to overcome this? Thanks in advance.

zt2maniac

Zaniac
Years
I have the same problem I want to use D&P style Tilesets but I don't really understand how to upload them Can you help

stargate1995

Mr. Flying Pickle Monster
Years
Go to the map you are warping to.
Go to events.
Create a new warp, and put it where you want the person to end up.
Record what number the warp is.
Go to the other map.
Click on the other warp.
It will say

Put in the warp number in where it says "To map no:"
i know how to do this but whenever i warp to the place it will take me somewhere random
e.g.im trying it in a cave but it teleports me half way through the cave.

Years
  • Seen Nov 15, 2009
help ! ! i make a cave in advance and when i try it , i go in and i cant get out !!!! =(

Phy

Years
  • Seen Sep 2, 2014
Forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong spot..everyone else seems to be asking questions..so I figure why not?

As I'm progressing into my hack, using XSE (which I still am learning by the handful) and Advance Map, when I script a new character in, sometimes the script won't respond. I understand that this is probably because of a scripting error--but this isn't my problem.

When I go to that map, there are random stationary sprites just standing in the far corners of the room, looking down. I go to Advance map, and they're not put in there...

At first I tried to just ignore them, and thought maybe they would go away after I did a few more things elsewhere. When I went back into my house after working for an hour somewhere else, they were almost everywhere, and some were moving.

No matter what I did, removing everything, rebuilding, they stayed when I played the rom. So I restarted, and after about another hour of work, they're starting to appear again.

Any help? :)

link12552

decade club
Years
Forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong spot..everyone else seems to be asking questions..so I figure why not?

As I'm progressing into my hack, using XSE (which I still am learning by the handful) and Advance Map, when I script a new character in, sometimes the script won't respond. I understand that this is probably because of a scripting error--but this isn't my problem.

When I go to that map, there are random stationary sprites just standing in the far corners of the room, looking down. I go to Advance map, and they're not put in there...

At first I tried to just ignore them, and thought maybe they would go away after I did a few more things elsewhere. When I went back into my house after working for an hour somewhere else, they were almost everywhere, and some were moving.

No matter what I did, removing everything, rebuilding, they stayed when I played the rom. So I restarted, and after about another hour of work, they're starting to appear again.

Any help? :)

Try checking your map's that are having the problems
"person" event amount and see that it matches with the amount visible on the entire map. Next check the map header for "on entering" scripts. If there are any check to make sure they don't refer to a person event that does not exist on the map.

If none of these sollutions work then save all of the maps and scripts you have made in a folder somewhere and download a different copy of your rom. Then insert and recompile all of your scripts. I SUGGEST BACKING UP YOUR ROM OFTEN INCASE ANOTHER ISSUE ARISSES.
Sorry if this becomes tiresome, but the problem is caused when you either have to many maps or have repointed one akwardly.:\

Kolossus

Dialouge Master
Years
Whenever I edit something with advance map, and load my game on the rom, my changes aren't there. I have to start a new file every time. What am I doing wrong?

Back