• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[IDEA] The Hunger Games: Pokemon Edition

Should we go forth with this idea?

• Yes

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
This is basically and idea to get clans more involved as a community. Clans are great and all with their tournaments within themselves and the occasional clan war but this idea.. This idea is meant to promote clan activity and a whole in the forums. This is meant to be a monthly/bimonthly/whatever forum-wide clan tournament. And.. Well, read and find out haha

Based on the Hunger Games© Trilogy written by Suzanne Collins

[a id]intro[/a id]

The Survival Games

Clans are where camaraderies are formed, yet also where trainers strive to become better than their peers. Despite this, they are also a family of battlers. These families are no ordinary families, though, as they hold great pride in their proficiency in battle. As a result, the Survival Games were born. During the Games, each clan must offer two contestants. The two representatives will then be pooled with the representatives of other clans, and thrown into an arena where they must fight until only one is standing. Clans themselves decide how their representatives are chosen, whether it be through voting, volunteering, or other methods. Contestants can not participate in more than one game per five. For example, if player X participates in the first Games, no matter whether they win or lose, they cannot participate again until the sixth Games. Of course, the rest period may increase when the clans themselves get bigger. For now, the rest period may be decreased in order to accomodate clan size.

[a id]r&p[/a id]

Pokémon Registry & Pokémon Pool

Upon entering the Games, each contestant will register 10 Pokemon. These 10 Pokémon will make up a player's initial Pokémon Pool. Only Pokémon from the Pokémon Pool may be used in battle. A player may switch around/substitute Pokemon in their team whenever they feel like. Movesets and/or EV/IV spreads are not required, and a single Pokemon may have multiple movesets and/or EV/IV spreads throughout the Games. Once a player has decided on the 10 Pokémon they would like to use, they are to send the Gamemaker a PM containing the names of the 10 species they want to register.

After each battle, Pokémon who have fainted must be reported to the thread/Gamemaker. Fainted Pokémon will no longer be available for battle and will promptly be removed from their player's Pokémon Pool. Pokémon may be reinstated into the pool through methods, discussed below. In addition, after defeating an opponent, a player may select one of the opponent's registered Pokémon and add it to their own pool of usable Pokémon. The Pokémon selected must have been present in the battle between the player and the loser. As with any Pokémon in the player's pool of usable Pokémon, movesets and/or EV/IV spreads may be changed at any time.

In order to enhance the survival feel, players can battle with teams that contain less than six Pokémon. For example, if a player narrowly defeats their first opponent with a 1-0 record, they'd only have five total usable Pokémon left, including the ones from their Pool. In addition to these five, the player will be able to select a single Pokémon from the team of the enemy they defeated. They now have a full team of six, again. Now let's say they defeat their next opponent through a 3-0. Including the Pokémon from the opponent's team they can take, they'll only have four Pokémon left. The player cannot add anymore Pokémon to the team. From there, the player will have to go through the remainder of the Games using only four Pokemon, until more are lost or more members are added.

The Games will not begin until all players have registered their Pokémon.

[a id]t&b[/a id]

Teams & Battles

Unlike typical tournaments, the Survival Games will not have any sort of bracket. The contestants actually get to choose who they battle. This may seem unfair, but the tournament is based on survival, meaning even if weeding out the weaker is the only way to ensure your survival, what must be done, must be done. Each battle will only have one round. This means despite the possibility of hax, a player only gets one chance to defeat a player. If the player should lose, they are eliminated from the game effective immediate. However, players can also team up for both offensive and defensive purposes as well. Offensive teams, as the name suggests, go hunting for other players. They initiate the challenges. Defensive teams sit idly by and try to extend their stay, battling only when provoked. Despite being two different approaches, offensive and defensive teams function relatively the same.

Offensively, the team of attackers must attack until their victim(s) is/are defeated. In addition to the Pokémon that they may retrieve from their opponent's team after a victory, an attacker from a team may also revive one of their Pokémon that had fainted during the course of the battle. Not all members of a team must battle during an attack if the victim(s) is/are defeated before they get the chance to gear up. For example, say a team of two people try attacking a single player. The first attacker defeats the victim. The victim is eliminated from the team. Both members of the team may select a Pokémon from the victim's team to add to their own Pool. The player who actually dealt the finishing blow, obviously gets the first pick. Going back to earlier, if a member of the team doesn't actually participate in and win a battle, they cannot revive a Pokémon of their own.

Defensively, a defending team must defeat all of their attackers. Like usual, if a player on a defensive team wins, they can add a Pokémon from the team of their attacker to their own Pool. Unlike an offensive team, however, members of a defensive team do not have the privilege of reviving one of their own fainted Pokémon. They can, however, revive a teammate who'd been defeated in battle. In doing so, the teammate returns to the Games with only the Pokémon from their Pool who had not been yet fainted. All the fainted Pokémon are added to the revivers Pool and are in fully usable condition. For example, say that P1 and P2 teamed up. P2 began the team with a Charmander, Torchic, and Snivy. P2's Charmander had fainted prior to the two players teaming up. While a team, they are attacked by P3. P2 and their Torchic are defeated in the process. P1 then comes to the rescue and defeats P3. P1 then goes on to revive P2. At this point, P2 only has a Snivy left. Snivy is the only Pokémon P2 can use unless more are added through winning battles. P1, however, gets to add both Charmander and Torchic to their Pool in perfectly healthy conditions. Like with offensive teams, all members of a defensive team may select Pokemon from a defeated attacker's team and add it to their own Pool. This is provided, however, that the player himself was not defeated during battle. Going back to our example, P1 would be able to take one of P3's Pokémon, while P2 would not be able to do the same.

[a id]mentors[/a id]

Mentors

Mentors are previous victors of the Games. They serve a few purposes during the Games. First off, a mentor can only assist a fellow member of the clan they belong to. Once the Games begin, mentors will all be sent a copy of every player's Pool. It is up to the mentor what to do with this information. They can keep it a secret, or they can help their student, the current contestant in the Games, come up with a strategy to stay alive. However, mentors are only to contact their student. They cannot talk to or help any other contestant during the Games. Aside from this, mentors can also send their student presents during the games. Whenever a contestant wins a battle, they earn 10 points. A mentor can use these points to purchase gifts for the student during the games. The price of gifts will grow with every elimination that occurs, save for the first. For example, after the first battle has occurred, it would cost a mentor one point to send their student a Potion. The student can then use this Potion to revive any fainted members of their Pool. However, by the end of the tournament, this same Potion could cost 10 points. A Points and Gifts system will be developed later.

[a id]victors[/a id]

Victors

The names of victors, along with a log of all their battles, will be recorded into an archive for all to see. In future Games, the victor will be able to take on the role of a mentor. Prizes can be discussed later on.

[a id]QQ[/a id]

The Quarter Quells

The Quarter Quells take place every 25 Games. What sets them apart from normal Games is that they usually have additional rules to make the Game in particular more interesting. Possible Quarter Quell ideas involve having twice as many participants, allowing Pools to grow by 50%-100% in size, or letting players affected by the rest period to participate.

[a id]r&c[/a id]

Rules and Clauses

Rules

• All matches will be played on PC's Pokémon Online Server.
  • Battle logs must be saved in order to be referenced later on.
  • Contestants are not to scout the teams of their opponents.
  • There is a strict no do-over clause.
  • No items which rely on luck. As such, the following items are banned:
    • BrightPowder
    • Focus Band
    • King's Rock
    • Lucky Punch
    • Quick Claw
    • Razor Claw
    • Razor Fang
    • Scope Lens
    • Stick
  • Battle logs, results, and information on fainted Pokémon must be reported to the Gamemaker A.S.A.P.
  • Pokémon with Dream World abilities are only allowed if they have been officially released by Nintendo®.
  • Similar to the rule above, only officially released Pokémon are allowed.
  • The following Pokémon are banned:
    Ani493MS.png
    (All Forms)
    Ani257MS.png
    Ani491MS.png
    Ani386MS.png
    Ani386AMS.png
    Ani386SMS.png
    Ani483MS.png
    Ani530MS.png
    Ani445MS.png
    Ani487MS.png
    Ani487OMS.png
    Ani383MS.png
    Ani250MS.png
    Ani382MS.png
    Ani249MS.png
    Ani490MS.png
    Ani150MS.png
    Ani484MS.png
    Ani384MS.png
    Ani643MS.png
    Ani492SMS.png
    Ani642MS.png
    Ani644MS.png

Clauses

• WiFi Clause
    Players must show their opponent their team before a battle by enabling team preview.
  • Freeze Clause
    You cannot freeze two or more Pokémon on your opponent's team.
  • Sleep Clause
    You cannot put two or more Pokémon on your opponent's team to sleep. Pokémon put asleep by Rest do not count towards the total.
  • Species Clause
    You cannot have two or more of the same Pokémon on your team.
  • Evasion Clause
    You cannot use any moves which boost your evasion.
  • OHKO Clause
    You cannot use moves that guarantee OHKOs such as Fissure and/or Sheer Cold.
  • Self-KO Clause
    The player who uses a move that causes all remaining Pokémon to faint, loses.

Currently I'm just trying to rally some support for the idea as well as gain it some publicity.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

KH Fan Bixran

Pkmn Nobody
Years
YES!
YES!
A MILLION TIMES YES!!!!

srry for getting excited, but the books are SO GOOD, i just cant wait to try this!!

Years
So this is really cool of course and I support it, so I'm just gonna drop this here

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Amu

remember who the real enemy is
Years
I obviously support this and you seem to have worked too hard on planning to not do this lol!

GO FOR IT <3

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
Good to see some support :)
Love the banner Karpman. Thanks for making it. As I said, I've done some resizing. You can see it in the first post :)

Anyways, since many people have said they support the idea, even if they haven't voted in the poll, I'm just gonna use this thread as essentially an idea thread, updating the first post as we go.

I was going to post some ideas I had btu seeing as it's late I'll just post them tomorrow :P

EDIT:

So, if you've read through the whole post, then you'll have realized I mentioned the "Gamemaker" a few times. What the Gamemaker is, basically, is the person who is running the current Games taking place, in particular. They're job is simple. Record battles, fainted Pokemon, etc. In the HG series, the Gamemakers (they have a council instead of just one) can create natural disasters, among other things, to force players out of hiding positions into battle if they deemed the game to be moving too slow. Similarly, the Gamemaker for us can match of players themselves if them feel that no one is battling. How they match up players is completely up to them. They can use a random generating system, or pit players against each other intentionally. I plan to be Gamemaker for at least the first two games. The first one to get the ball rolling, and the second to kind of get the whole Mentors and points and gifts system in order. After that I may or may not continue being Gamemaker, depending on if anyone else wants to give it a go.

I should also add that the Gamemaker cannot also be a player in the games.

But anyways, I need help with an aspect of the tournament. Should the Pools of the players just be placed in the thread? IT allows for easier management, but at the same time, other players can see them. Perhaps we can do something like keep them hidden until everyones made their Pool? That way, no one can specifically target the weaknesses of others.

Another thing I thought about possibly implementing is the "Arena" system. In the HG series, players are put in special arenas created for the Games themselves. The weather and conditions in these arenas change with each Games. I thought perhaps every now and then we could have rules on which weather system is allowed to be used during the Games. If we do, do this, I thought that maybe for a battle or two, a player would be given a neutral pokemon that can cast permanent weather. No matter if the weather caster dies or lives in battle, the player cannot use it again. It's as the name suggests, a neutral Pokemon. The Gamemaker basically says, hey put this guy on your team for this one fight. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Years
Good to see some support :)
Love the banner Karpman. Thanks for making it. As I said, I've done some resizing. You can see it in the first post :)

Anyways, since many people have said they support the idea, even if they haven't voted in the poll, I'm just gonna use this thread as essentially an idea thread, updating the first post as we go.

I was going to post some ideas I had btu seeing as it's late I'll just post them tomorrow :P

EDIT:

So, if you've read through the whole post, then you'll have realized I mentioned the "Gamemaker" a few times. What the Gamemaker is, basically, is the person who is running the current Games taking place, in particular. They're job is simple. Record battles, fainted Pokemon, etc. In the HG series, the Gamemakers (they have a council instead of just one) can create natural disasters, among other things, to force players out of hiding positions into battle if they deemed the game to be moving too slow. Similarly, the Gamemaker for us can match of players themselves if them feel that no one is battling. How they match up players is completely up to them. They can use a random generating system, or pit players against each other intentionally. I plan to be Gamemaker for at least the first two games. The first one to get the ball rolling, and the second to kind of get the whole Mentors and points and gifts system in order. After that I may or may not continue being Gamemaker, depending on if anyone else wants to give it a go.

I should also add that the Gamemaker cannot also be a player in the games.

But anyways, I need help with an aspect of the tournament. Should the Pools of the players just be placed in the thread? IT allows for easier management, but at the same time, other players can see them. Perhaps we can do something like keep them hidden until everyones made their Pool? That way, no one can specifically target the weaknesses of others.

Another thing I thought about possibly implementing is the "Arena" system. In the HG series, players are put in special arenas created for the Games themselves. The weather and conditions in these arenas change with each Games. I thought perhaps every now and then we could have rules on which weather system is allowed to be used during the Games. If we do, do this, I thought that maybe for a battle or two, a player would be given a neutral pokemon that can cast permanent weather. No matter if the weather caster dies or lives in battle, the player cannot use it again. It's as the name suggests, a neutral Pokemon. The Gamemaker basically says, hey put this guy on your team for this one fight. Thoughts?

Well when I hosted survival, I just organized everything in a word document. That being said, I'm against putting the pools of players in a thread, since it really won't be fair and everyone will try to counterteam each other as best they can. The 'Arena' thing sounds cool, although I imagine most players would already have a weather starter, so perhaps you could only allow a certain type of weather instead?

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
Well when I hosted survival, I just organized everything in a word document. That being said, I'm against putting the pools of players in a thread, since it really won't be fair and everyone will try to counterteam each other as best they can. The 'Arena' thing sounds cool, although I imagine most players would already have a weather starter, so perhaps you could only allow a certain type of weather instead?

Hmm.. True comment is true. But it won't stop any counter teaming if a mentor decides to tell their student the other players team lol.

Oooooooh. I LIKE that. Maybe we can have, like, "Arena: The Alps" where only Hail is allowed, if they choose to use weather :D

... I just had a good idea. And forgot it while typing. Hopefully I'll remember later haha

EDIT:

So points and gifts system.
I'm thinking along the lines of each win getting you two points. The only gift I can think of right now are potions. Anyways, the price of the potion would be something along the lines of 1+x, with x being the number of KOs that've taken place. So say the first Games have four clans with two competitors each, by the last two competitors, potions would cost 7 points. To me the system seems pretty flawed right now. This is just the general idea. If anyone has a way to improve upon, please say so.

Last edited:

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
Firstly, sorry for the double post, but I felt I needed to bump the thread in order to notify others that a new thought has been posted.

So I've been thinking about the Points and Gifts system and these are just a few things I've come up with. I've thought of four items; Potions, Bread, Elixir, and Swapper.

Potions are as the name suggests; they let you heal and bring back Pokemon in your Pool that've fainted.

Bread, as inspired by the Hunger Games series, allows you to extend your stay in the games. How? If your mentor sends you Bread, then it automatically activates. Until another player in the Games have been eliminated, you cannot be the target of a challenge/battle. In short, you are safe until someone is eliminated. Obviously certain circumstances bypass the effect of Bread, such as if only two players remain.

Elixirs are essentially Potions and Bread all in one. In turn, this will mean that once a price is assigned, it will be much higher. In any case, Elixirs allow you to be defeated in a battle, but not be eliminated. In order for Elixirs to work, you must be in possession of one before a battle takes place. If you lose that battle, you may stay in the game. The person who defeated you cannot battle you again until either you or he/she battle another player. Like with Bread, certain circumstances bypass the effect of Elixirs, such as if only two players remain. It should be noted that any Pokemon who was apart of your team when you lost, are all unusable. The only exception to this rule is if all of your Pool are fainted. In that case, you may revive one single Pokemon.

Finally, there is the Swapper. The Swapper will be described as a little device that can transfer Pokeballs. What this means is; if your mentor sends you a Swapper, you can trade one single Pokemon in your Pool, for an entirely new Pokemon. This allows you the element of surprise against opponents, especially if your original Pool was sent to their mentor at the beginning of the Games. I have not yet decided whether or not Swappers will cost more that Potions and Bread, or less.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
Dang it, not having PO is holding me back...

You should get it then ;) The app itself isn't that large so it won't hinder your computer's performance. and If you have access to the internet, then I'm sure you could get it ^^ I'll link it below.

I would love to join, is there a level requirment?

Level requirement? As in Pokemon levels? Well, the thing is, this concept is created to be played on Pokemon Online, which is an online battle Simulator, so all Pokemon are level 100 by default. and To participate, you must first join a clan and then volunteer to be one of their representatives once the time comes ;] I leave a link to PO below.

Anyways, here's the link guys :) http://pokemon-online.eu/

Also I was thinking, instead of having Quarter Quells, we could have DECImations. This means instead of having a special game every 25 games, we'd have one every 10. I think this would be much more functional from a battling standpoint :P

I will get to updating the first post soon, with all the new ideas and systems.

Back