• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Are Tyranitar & Dragonite legendary?

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
If you look at the Gen 1 and 2 pokedex's you see that both the Tyranitar evolution line and the Dragonite line come after the so called Legendary birds or beasts

If you look at the people who use a Dragonite in the anime/games you have:

Iris
Lance
Clair
Drake
Palmer.

Where as if we look at Tyranitar I don't think there is anyone who uses it? Ingame and in the Anime.
It makes an appearance in the Celebi movie where it is captured and used as an evil slave, but apart from that. Nothing.

Why do you think this is?

Which is more rare Tyranitar or Dragonite?

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pseudo-legendary_Pokémon

If you look here they mention Metagross/Salamence/Garchomp and Hydeigon, but none of these appear over the 3 semi-legends you see in the pokemon games.

Last edited:

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I don't know. But I don't know think their placement on the Pokedex means anything about them being legendary and whatnot. Victini is placed #0 in the Unova Pokedex but doesn't mean all the rest after it are ranked as legendary also.

And yea Tyranitar is pretty good. But probably because he's the slowest out of all the Pseudo-Legendaries.

Years
As the others have already said it's a psuedo-legendary and not an actual legendary. Of the two, I've only raised a Dragonite back in Yellow, and it was pretty boss. Maybe I'll raise a Tyranitar in my next SoulSilver playthrough.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
If they are legendary, why do so many people use them, whats more, their 1st and 2nd evo's (whateveryoucallthem) can be caught in the wild and there are many of them, making them like not-so legendary. Some like Dragonite are also considered legendary, as they are rare. But they are not considered 'legendary pokemon' because of the reason I said earlier.

In my opinion, I think that they placed them after the legendary 3 probably because they are more powerful then the 3 in base stats.

EDIT: Shouldn't this be in Pokemon General sub-forums? Just saying. :P

Last edited:

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
If they are legendary, why do so many people use them, whats more, their 1st and 2nd evo's (whateveryoucallthem) can be caught in the wild and there are many of them, making them like not-so legendary. Some like Dragonite are also considered legendary, as they are rare. But they are not considered 'legendary pokemon' because of the reason I said earlier.

In my opinion, I think that they placed them after the legendary 3 probably because they are more powerful then the 3 in base stats.

EDIT: Shouldn't this be in Pokemon General sub-forums? Just saying. :P

If you look in the games Tyranitar is barely used.
Also the Pokedex has never been sorted by pokemons base stats.

Also why is Volcarona not in this class aswell?

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
If you look in the games Tyranitar is barely used.
Also the Pokedex has never been sorted by pokemons base stats.

Also why is Volcarona not in this class aswell?

Psshh, you ask too much questions dude, I believe Volcarona is not inside this class because you look at the trend, it has always been Pokemon with 3 evolutions, I don't see why Volcanora should be there. IMO, Volcanora is like a Snorlax/Sudowudo-like Pokemon thats a stationary one.

The commonly accepted definition for Pseudo-Legendary is a non-legendary pokémon that has a Base Stat total of 600 and has at least one immunity.

Anyway, this Psudeo-Legendary thingy is NOT a Gamefreak thing, its just a trend that fans saw.

Some mod please move this thread to Pokemon General, its not about 1st/2nd gen discussion.

Last edited:

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Well, Tyranitar's first ability is Sand Stream. It's not used much in the games because the player might abuse it to his/her favor.

Back in GSC times, I think Tyranitar was meant to be a "surprise" to the player, which is why no trainer used it. I only had a list of names of the 100 new Pokémon, no pictures. So I desperately wanted to see what Tyranitar looked like. When my Pupitar finally evolved, I wasn't disappointed! :D I couldn't use it in story mode, but damn it was powerful. I had two of them. :D The only problem with it was that I wanted both Houndoom and Tyranitar in my team, which would give me two weaknesses to Water and Fighting. When I wanted a more balanced team, I replaced either, but my "fun" team always had both.

Only three people (Blue, Grimsley, Roark) use it in the games, and in only one case (Roark) the ability doesn't hurt their team.

TBH I think someone powerful should use Tyranitar. It's the hardest Pokémon to raise in GSC (I hate Pupitar), and it's among the rarest as well (only found in one place, which happens to be right before the end of the game). Tyranitar needs more love. :(

The commonly accepted definition for Pseudo-Legendary is a non-legendary pokémon that has a Base Stat total of 600 and has at least one immunity.

Immunity is not necessary.

Last edited:

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
Well, Tyranitar's first ability is Sand Stream. It's not used much in the games because the player might abuse it to his/her favor.

Back in GSC times, I think Tyranitar was meant to be a "surprise" to the player, which is why no trainer used it. I only had a list of names of the 100 new Pokémon, no pictures. So I desperately wanted to see what Tyranitar looked like. When my Pupitar finally evolved, I wasn't disappointed! :D I couldn't use it in story mode, but damn it was powerful. I had two of them. :D The only problem with it was that I wanted both Houndoom and Tyranitar in my team, which would give me two weaknesses to Water and Fighting. When I wanted a more balanced team, I replaced either, but my "fun" team always had both.

Only three people (Blue, Grimsley, Roark) use it in the games, and in only one case (Roark) the ability doesn't hurt their team.

TBH I think someone powerful should use Tyranitar. It's the hardest Pokémon to raise in GSC (I hate Pupitar), and it's among the rarest as well (only found in one place, which happens to be right before the end of the game). Tyranitar needs more love. :(

Immunity is not necessary.

In terms of pre Elite Four no one uses them, it's not until afterwards anyone decides to use Tyranitar, I believe Roxanne runs one aswell.
Blue uses it when you rematch him.
Grimsley when you rematch him.
Roark when you rematch him.

I agree with you that Tyranitar is a pain to raise and the fact his pre evolutions are quite rare to find in most games (If they appear at all in the wild) make it a rarer pokemon to dragonite.

And as for the case of Volcarona why does a Psuedo-legendary have to have 3 evolutions? In my whole time playing Platinum I never saw the Garchomp line as legendary as it was easy to get and easy to train, same with Metagross and Salamence in pokemon R/S/E.

The only pokemon in the list of Psuedo-Legends I could agree upon is Hydeigon, mearly because of the level it's final evolution evolves at. Also a Psuedo-legendary may have a 600 BST, but that was not the original point I was trying to make.

Why do Tyranitar & Dragonite appear after the legendary 3, but no other generations do this.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
Why do Tyranitar & Dragonite appear after the legendary 3, but no other generations do this.

So this is the original point... THAT IGNORANT ME STRIKES BACK. I can only answer one question from the original post, "Which is rarer between the 2?"

I believe that Tyrantitar is rarer than Dragonite because the latter can be found in the Dragons Den and the Safari Zone (the Kanto one), while the former can only be found at Mt Silver. Not only because of the fact that more trainers use Dragonite.

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
Neither are legendaries, they are the fan-term pseudo-legendaries. They have ridiculously high stats, almost that of a legendaries in total but individually sometimes better stats, they tend to come in strange orders in the pokedex, and there are more than 1 in 1 game, no trading or cloning.

Years
  • Seen Jun 10, 2013
They definitely are not legendaries. When Red and Blue were in development, Game Freak got some help form Ape Inc, later known as Creatures Inc. This is the same team that worked on the Earth Bound series of games, and you can definitely see how they influenced some of the things in Red and Blue.

"The Bag of Dragonite is an item in EarthBound which when used, "transforms" a party member into a dragonite, allowing them to deal a massive amount of damage to most foes (with the exception of Giygas). It can only be used once, and it is a fairly rare item." (Taken from the Earthbound Wikia)

Obviously Dragonite was based off this item. It makes sense too, as Dragonite is amazing in Red and Blue. I think Tyranitar was created to be another powerful Pokémon like this.

As for Tyranitar not being in the anime, go watch the episode where Jessie and James release Arbok and Weezing. They fight a Pupitar, and it evolves into a Tyranitar. The battle becomes too intense, so Jessie and James tell Arbok and Weezing to leave, and be free. Arbok and Weezing refuse, so Jessie and James smash their Poké Balls. Arbok and Weezing leave, and Jessie, James, and Meowth fight the Tyranitar. It was truly a sad moment.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Pokédex position doesn't mean anything. Chimecho was the last Pokémon in the National Dex in 3rd gen but it obviously wasn't a legendary (it was damn rare though).

They're harder to catch than most Pokémon in their level, but not really hard. Raising them is harder, though. My first Tyranitar was a real accomplishment!

Larvitar can only be found in mountainous places. The only really large mountain in GSC is Mt. Silver (Mt. Mortar is too early into the game), therefore, it can only be found there.

Last edited:

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
Off topic: Is Volcarona a legendary???

Answering: No, Rare PKMNs they are, legendaries they aren't. Also, every legendary hasn't a pre-evolution, both Tyranitar and Dragonite have a pre-evolution. And that's a tough one...which one is the rarest? I don't know...xD.

Back