• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gaming franchises that *must* return

Cinnabar

Fenniken is godly.
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
F-Zero, Mother, and Banjo-Kazooie. Three amazing franchises that I feel need to see the light of day once more.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Crash Bandicoot and Spyro? Yes yes YES. Those two series made my gaming childhood, I can remember spending countless hours playing the two games (as well as Pokemon), and I was really quite irritated at what the frachises have become.

Not only have they changed Crash's design completely, as well as an abundance of other characters' (which look horrible btw), but the levels and gameplay, just don't feel the same. I think for Crash Bandicoot, Twinsanity was its final quality game -- while the level style was more free roam, it still maintained a set structure and storyline and I loved the art and other extras you got for finding gems and completing tasks. The sounds and graphics along with the storyline were amazing too. A truly great game! After that however, the designs got horrible and the franchise fell to pieces imo.

That goes for the Spyro franchise as well. I lived and breathed Spyro, my favourite game being Gateway to Glimmer/Ripto's Rage, and when Skylanders came out I was infuriated. That game is sooo childish, (obviously because it's aimed at little kids), but why!? The series should've stayed loyal to its fans who have been playing its games from the very beginning. I understand the attempt to spice things up and gain more popularity by attracting the younger generations, but it's really given no oppoortunity for older fans to enjoy the series anymore. I loved when the games has one main boss and that's final. One game, one storyline, one boss. No, massive storylines that expand over three games. Boring. Ever since the games where Cynder and what not have been introduced, the games and the whole concept of Spyro has been damaged for me. Not to mention Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly was a disgrace. Not only was it short, it was extremely bland. I expect a lot more, especially if Ripto returned.

I'm really really disappointed. These were some of the most amazing games. It's just a shame they've been ruined. Hopefully a new team can pick up the pieces and rebuild not only these two series, but the older fanbase that have stayed loyal to them from their beginnings.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
I love the Mother series as much as the next guy, maybe more considering the next guy may not even know what we're talking about, but I'd have to vouch against reviving it. Even with Itoi at the helm once more, there's a point where you can go too far. As a substitute, I would suggest a new series from Itoi if we wanted some more of that "Itoi magic". If that's successful, we could have a couple of sequels of that too, and then stop. Afterall, are we putting more value in Itoi as a writer, or are we just idolizing the brand he put out? There's a few good reasons why most movies only have 2 related sequels max. Anything after that is usually a cash grab, and/or falters in quality.

Eheh, there ought to be a topic about franchises that should've ended in their prime a long time ago. That's the one thing I can give to a series like Mother and Darkstalkers, and while I miss both of them (and wish new generations could experience them without being blinded by how old it is), I haven't been impressed by too many revivals, either.

But I'll give in to my indulgent, curious side and say I'd love to see a Darkstalkers 4, even if I have a sick feeling I'll, and a bunch of other fans, possibly regret it. Prove me wrong, Capcom. Or don't do it. Either way.

Game_sloth

That guy
Years
  • Age 30
  • AL
  • Seen Aug 17, 2013
Megaman Battle Network has to return also, Starforce just sucks. Even if it means adjusting the battle field to MMBN's, I'll be happy, because I downright hate the 1st person view in battles.

Idk about wanting a return of battle network, but I would love the Megaman X games to make a return. I still play X5 and X6 here and there on the old PS1.

Years
Well, I'd love to see the Wario series continue (by that I mean the Wario Land games, not the WarioWare ones).
And yes, of course I'd like to see a new Mother game, but all things considered, it's not really that likely.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 19, 2013
I really liked Jak and Daxter back on the PS2. It would be cool if that came back. Also I'd like to Descent for the PC comeback. I remember that game always scared me (I was around 10 when I played it).

Mr. Magius

  
Years
Monster Hunter.. I know they're releasing a couple of games in NA soon, but they tend to stay in Asia with all of their really good games. They might be waiting for their franchise to have a bigger fanbase in the west, but still, they have some of the best games imo. I want something like Frontier... ;-;

I love the Mother series as much as the next guy, maybe more considering the next guy may not even know what we're talking about, but I'd have to vouch against reviving it. Even with Itoi at the helm once more, there's a point where you can go too far. As a substitute, I would suggest a new series from Itoi if we wanted some more of that "Itoi magic". If that's successful, we could have a couple of sequels of that too, and then stop. Afterall, are we putting more value in Itoi as a writer, or are we just idolizing the brand he put out? There's a few good reasons why most movies only have 2 related sequels max. Anything after that is usually a cash grab, and/or falters in quality.
I agree with this. Mother is more of a group of gems that can't just be remade over and over again, else it would ruin the idea of the series. But Itoi is capable of making more games in the same vein as Mother due to his magical mind, and I would personally love that.

Years
I second Jak and Daxter, and I'd also like another real Spyro game. There have been a few out pretty recently, but they've been overly melodramatic and "mature."

I was about to say Sly Cooper, but I looked the series up on a whim and found out that a new entry will be coming out next year!

Years
I second Jak and Daxter, and I'd also like another real Spyro game. There have been a few out pretty recently, but they've been overly melodramatic and "mature."

I was about to say Sly Cooper, but I looked the series up on a whim and found out that a new entry will be coming out next year!
It seems that former Check Six developers are making a new Spyro game and are asking fans what they would like to see. They have confirmed so on their Twitter account.

Kung Fu Ferret

The Unbound
Years
We need to localize all the Digimon games that have come out in Japan since 2010. We haven't gotten Lost Evolution, the two Xros Wars DS games, ReDigitize (since nobody outside of Japan gives two sh**s about the PSP), and I'm pretty sure we'll never get the game based of Season 1 that's due in Japan next month, which sadly is also for PSP.

I mean, seriously!

Port Redigitize and Adventure for 3DS! SOMETHING!

PhoenixWright77

Pokémaster Attorney
Years
  • Seen May 17, 2015
I think the Ice Climbers could use a reboot. I can kind of imangine a 3D adventure game where you use both of the Ice climbers ability to climb up to the top of a mountain. It would be different from the first game but sequels don't need to be the same!
(Just like Legend of Zelda 2: Adventure of Link!)

Last edited:

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Dark Cloud. Its life was brief, but the two games that it delivered were so great omg. Dark Cloud was like one of the first Playstation games I ever played, through a collection of demos that came with the PS2 my brother bought way back. I kept on try to get further and further in the demo everytime, and finally got it several years later. And it wasn't disappointing at all. It grew much more fun the further I got in the game, and I loved the story, the concept, the gameplay, the controls and all. And that continued into the next game. The characters were great, and while I would've liked to see Tora back again in the second game, it was just as great. There were rumours that Dark Cloud 3 would be made though, and it was later confirmed that it'd be made for the PS2 aswell, but that never happened. Later it was said to come out on the PS3 March 2009, but that never happened either, and since then it doesn't seem like there's been any news. It's really a shame, since the games were really enjoyable, and I'd love to see it make a comeback, but from the looks of it, that isn't going to happen. Unless they decided on doing a Duke Nukem :p

pokemanmdj

Random Passerby
Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2016
As much as I would love the Mother franchise to make a return, I know that Itoi said he has no plans for a sequel. I only wish they could port the games to the NA, or heck, make a remake of it.
^ >< At least there's those faithful fans making the MOTHER 4 project. It's something...
And I guess not "milking" a series is kind of a good thing.

But personally, I'd love to see another Star Tropics- it's just a really old series, with both of it's games on the NES. I don't think it was half bad, honestly- for what the NES could do at the time, hey, it was pretty good.

Years
Crazy Taxi.

I loved that game so much and played it all the time at a young age. It would be great to see another Crazy Taxi with all the advanced mechanics, graphics and maybe bring in some multiplayer. It's just a game where you can mess around and have fun, reckless and fast driving is the way to do it, take you away from all the stress of getting destroyed on Black Ops II.

Oshamaru

Legs go, Megaman!
Years
I would really like Mother/EarthBound to be back, but yeah, Itoi said no more Mother...But (supposedly) Itoi had plans for an EarthBound remake. I don´t exactly remember if he said he WAS making a remake or if it was just the idea.

Boktai also needs to return...Lunar Knights just doesn´t look the same. D:

Years
Anyone know about Eggerland? It was a series from a long time ago by HAL Laboratory. I'd like to see something else become of that; I think its last appearance was in some PC game compilation in 2000 or 2001.

Also, for that matter, a true return to the Shinobi series would be much appreciated. (remember, the one with Joe Musashi?)

Shenmue, I think, is best left in the past, though it was great while it lasted. I just don't think it'd translate well to modern times. Also, Sega is really on its last legs by this point anyway; we'll be lucky to even get more than a couple of Sonic games out of them before they crash.

We need to localize all the Digimon games that have come out in Japan since 2010. We haven't gotten Lost Evolution, the two Xros Wars DS games, ReDigitize (since nobody outside of Japan gives two sh**s about the PSP), and I'm pretty sure we'll never get the game based of Season 1 that's due in Japan next month, which sadly is also for PSP.

I mean, seriously!

Port Redigitize and Adventure for 3DS! SOMETHING!

The US actually hasn't gotten that many Digimon games, period, considering how many Japan has. The first Digimon game was Japan-only, and it was on the Sega Saturn. Of course, we also never got the WonderSwan or WonderSwan Color, and there were a few Digimon games there, too. I think there also may have been a couple on the PS1 that we never got.

I honestly don't like Digimon games that much. They've always seemed a little simplistic and contrived to me, though I do look back on the late '90s and early '00s (my childhood) with extreme nostalgia, and Digimon is no exception (the show, at least, which I rarely watched but talked about with my friends). Nevertheless, the attention given to the franchise in the US seems a little low considering the size of its fanbase, and it is a little odd that Japan's gotten so many Digimon games that we haven't.

Last edited:

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
I would love to get a new Wonder Boy/Monster World title. The last three games (the "metroidvania" ones: Wonder Boy: Dragon's Trap, Wonder Boy in Monster World and Monster World IV) were awesome, and I was really disappointed when the series stopped even before going 3D.

Years
I'm just going to shout out a few I like to see.

A sequel to Chrono Cross
Sonic X-Treme being finished (dreaming for 3DS)
Space Channel 5: Part 3
An uncut, re polished, playable Drakengard (read: never will happen)
A U.S. release for multiple "Burning" titles (The Sega RPG)
A Suikoden reboot/remake
Sonic 06' overhaul (sigh)

I agree with others about Crazi Taxi, Banjo-Threeie, Dark Cloud, Monster Rancher, and all the Digimon Games.

Back