• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Development: The Follow Me Script

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 18, 2023
Can anyone make a compiled version of this one like the first version or a tutorial? I'm not very able to use python :S
Thanks in any case ;D

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
We all know what this is, so I'll cut to the chase. This is basically fully working - an example can be seen in GoGo's hack, Platinum Red (and eventually Blue). This is basically all we have so far:

The code for doing this has been open sourced, and is available on my GitHub, here. You're welcome to fork and send me pull requests if you have anything to contribute. Any bugs or issues should also be reported on GitHub rather than in this thread.

I will post build instructions soon.

So I ported this to Emerald (Someone will have to show me how to use Github hehe) but I've got a video:

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
More than 6+ years but the project isn't 100% finished as warping and surfing and biking still have problems.... I may not be an asm wizard or master C or C++ creator but I may have 2 ideas that just might work.

1. We could try to implement the Pokemon yellow code( since hgss code is from ds it shouldn't work but since Pokemon yellow is one generation down(gbc) it might be possible to implement it)

2.This idea may make sound bonkers or make me sound as if I watch to many science fiction movies but here goes..... how about an AI script.

OK hear me out, the games already have AI systems in them( Trainer AI and other game mechanic handling AIs so lets try not to deny the fact that adding AI(s) into the game is impossible. What the AI will do it will read the player data and key presses and act according to it and have main inshiative to stay one block behind the player. and also have multiple filters along with it like judging between walkable tiles and notice when a player walks on surf tile it makes it self invisible and reappears when player is on a regular tile. Same could work on a bike. As for flying the AI would appear on the map the player sets on to flying to( on the select location to fly to map)
Again these are all ideas hopefully that can be used.

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
More than 6+ years but the project isn't 100% finished as warping and surfing and biking still have problems.... I may not be an asm wizard or master C or C++ creator but I may have 2 ideas that just might work.

1. We could try to implement the Pokemon yellow code( since hgss code is from ds it shouldn't work but since Pokemon yellow is one generation down(gbc) it might be possible to implement it)

2.This idea may make sound bonkers or make me sound as if I watch to many science fiction movies but here goes..... how about an AI script.

OK hear me out, the games already have AI systems in them( Trainer AI and other game mechanic handling AIs so lets try not to deny the fact that adding AI(s) into the game is impossible. What the AI will do it will read the player data and key presses and act according to it and have main inshiative to stay one block behind the player. and also have multiple filters along with it like judging between walkable tiles and notice when a player walks on surf tile it makes it self invisible and reappears when player is on a regular tile. Same could work on a bike. As for flying the AI would appear on the map the player sets on to flying to( on the select location to fly to map)
Again these are all ideas hopefully that can be used.

To be honest none of your suggestions help anyone.
The problem isn't implementing these things, following code is as simple as 2 bytes. The problem is finding where to place it. AI is entirely unnecessary for this because it requires no thinking, and GBC code wouldn't help because you still have to find where to put it (and plus GBC code is not similar even though it's "just one game system away")

Blah

Free supporter
Years

To be honest none of your suggestions help anyone.
The problem isn't implementing these things, following code is as simple as 2 bytes. The problem is finding where to place it.

Gogo....
Are you implying that follow me is at a standstill because we can't find 2 free bytes of space? lol.

The newer follow me which touched and I worked on doesn't even use logging, it does calculations on the fly. The biggest problem with follow me is that certain animations take more time/frames than others. For example, when you jump of a ledge, it takes the same amount of time to take 2 steps. So when the player jumps down a ledge, and continues to walk, the follower will then become 2 steps behind. On consecutive ledge jumps the effect worsens and the follower is left further and further behind. Similar happens with biking. Touched managed to fix biking, but it broke again :D

As for surfing, I think I finished surfing for the most part. Only part that remained was to undo the surfing sprite. I've been lazy, Touched as been lazy, and we haven't updated this since last year.

Basically, it's pretty much done, just needs some brushing up in certain places. Lack of motivation = lack of completion. We're not stuck or anything like that, just now that the interesting parts are finished, I don't think we felt like working on it more. Also the introduction of the incomplete cutscript came into the dev schedule (which also got dumped upon the realization that 99% of the community would be incapable of using it).

Basically, stuff happened, we haven't worked on it since we lacked motivation. Unless some motivation appears out of thin air, I don't really feel like doing this anymore. I can't speak for Touched, but I think he'll tell you the same...

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
FBI if the motivation you want is that you want some one to use the follow me script in their hack then look no further. Frankly speaking, I NEED this code for a Hack rom and it's story and if you complete this then I will 100% use this. (hopefully that motivated you)

You can do it FBI-kun, GAMBARAY GAMBARAY FBI-kun.
Fighto FBI-kun, you can do it. :D :D :D

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 24, 2017
For example, when you jump of a ledge, it takes the same amount of time to take 2 steps. So when the player jumps down a ledge, and continues to walk, the follower will then become 2 steps behind.
Couldn't it be done to make the follower jump two steps to catch the player? I think it's done like that in HGSS.
7b025325605bbfd9ac1bb8c275bcd2d0.gif

Also, for biking and surfing the follower disappears in the official games.

Hope this helps ^^

Touched

Resident ASMAGICIAN
Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
Similar happens with biking. Touched managed to fix biking, but it broke again :D

I fixed it (again).

As for surfing, I think I finished surfing for the most part. Only part that remained was to undo the surfing sprite.

There was more. You didn't factor in the follower jumping perpendicularly to the facing direction of the player, which happens when the player surfs facing left/right, and then moves down/up or vice versa. The timing was also ****ed if you didn't wait for the follower to complete the jump before moving.

I've been lazy, Touched as been lazy, and we haven't updated this since last year.

Basically, it's pretty much done, just needs some brushing up in certain places. Lack of motivation = lack of completion. We're not stuck or anything like that, just now that the interesting parts are finished, I don't think we felt like working on it more. Also the introduction of the incomplete cutscript came into the dev schedule (which also got dumped upon the realization that 99% of the community would be incapable of using it).

Basically, stuff happened, we haven't worked on it since we lacked motivation. Unless some motivation appears out of thin air, I don't really feel like doing this anymore. I can't speak for Touched, but I think he'll tell you the same...

Yeah, lack of motivation and irl commitments got in the way. All we really needed was some sort of scripting interface and to create the Pokemon following mode (which is far easier than fixing surfing etc.)

FBI if the motivation you want is that you want some one to use the follow me script in their hack then look no further. Frankly speaking, I NEED this code for a Hack rom and it's story and if you complete this then I will 100% use this. (hopefully that motivated you)

You can do it FBI-kun, GAMBARAY GAMBARAY FBI-kun.
Fighto FBI-kun, you can do it. :D :D :D

Sorry, but that's not gonna motivate us. I don't know if FBI feels the same, but the motivation comes from the challenge of solving problems. Since we solved most of them, it just became an issue of doing boring work over and over again to fix annoying timing issues. Also the lack of community involvement in the project (as usual) is demoralising.

Couldn't it be done to make the follower jump two steps to catch the player? I think it's done like that in HGSS.
7b025325605bbfd9ac1bb8c275bcd2d0.gif

Also, for biking and surfing the follower disappears in the official games.

Hope this helps ^^

It's not an issue of the amount of steps taken (jumping over ledges is always two steps), it's an issue of the amount of frames taken to complete the jump. The issue is that jumping is a long animation: it takes something like double the walking time to complete the animation. Since the follower has to wait on the ledge while the player stands on the bottom, it has to jump during the next movement the player makes. This means that you have to somehow accelerate the jump to take place in the same time as the player's next movement. This is what HGSS does, which is why the jump takes a shorter amount of time for the follower.
We succeeded in doing this, however there are multiple speeds that the player can move at which makes it complicated to figure out how long to take when making the follower jump.
It's complicated because if you go too fast, the jump looks awkward and if you go too slow it will be a few pixels behind the player until you stop moving.

Also we know about the thing going into the Pokeball. But FBI wanted us to do surfing and biking for the extra challenge it provided. Also, the Pokeball solution only applies to Pokemon. Since we wanted to expand the potential for this hack beyond the scope of "your Pokemon follows you", this was not acceptable. If a person was to follow you, we wanted them to be capable of doing everything the player can. We were going to provide different "modes" that you could select via a script. If you picked the Pokemon mode, it would disappear into the Pokeball. If you picked the person mode, they would ride their own bike or something. However, we never got the opportunity to do this.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
Typicaly Touched. I know getting motivated for things gets a bit hard, so i actually understand that why you want leave this so bad( trust me i'm a writer) so if you want to leave the project, well i won't say people won't get annoyed but none would start a riot, if the script is done to the point tht pokemon follow me is done to the point you can make a yellow remake then it would be appreactive if you could update your github sources to the current version but if not well any progress would really be ok.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
Touch and FBI, if you have completely given up on the project then at least update it to the latest progress you have done so it can be used. Also i know that you have fixed ledge and biking issues but i wanted to point that FBI once made a hack tutorial on how to reduce bike speed to normal walk speed. How this can be useful would be that you could develop a work around that if a follow me script sprite is following then the bytes of the bike speed would be changed and reverted back once its over( i dont know how flexably this can be used)

Thanks in advance

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 20, 2016
Touch and FBI, if you have completely given up on the project then at least update it to the latest progress you have done so it can be used. Also i know that you have fixed ledge and biking issues but i wanted to point that FBI once made a hack tutorial on how to reduce bike speed to normal walk speed. How this can be useful would be that you could develop a work around that if a follow me script sprite is following then the bytes of the bike speed would be changed and reverted back once its over( i dont know how flexably this can be used)

Thanks in advance
On Touched's GitHub, a link to which is in the OP.

Touched

Resident ASMAGICIAN
Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
Azurile i know that there is github. It hasnt been updated since over an year or so. Thats what i am asking, to update it

This is the new one, but it has literally no way for you to control it via scripts. I'm pretty sure it will also be challenging for a newbie to insert it. I don't really have the time or motivation to update this, but at least it's better than the first one and more readable.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Oct 31, 2023
Can you write a quick explanation on how to implement this?

Sorry for bumping this tread.

I can't understand that there is nobody in this community who can write a small tutorial, for people like me, how to insert this great feature.

It's a shame that at least nobody is interested in this feature.

Sorry if i wrote something not correctly, english is not my mother-tongue.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
Sorry for bumping this tread.

I can't understand that there is nobody in this community who can write a small tutorial, for people like me, how to insert this great feature.

It's a shame that at least nobody is interested in this feature.

Sorry if i wrote something not correctly, english is not my mother-tongue.

Just think about having to add all those OWs, for all those Pokemons, not even counting the possibility of expanded pokemons, and that could be a valid reason as to why nobody cares about this in a serious way ala Game Freak with HG/SS.
Also, is the amount of OWs expandable to such extend anyways?

Sure, it's not only applicable to Pokemons, but in other situations you can just script tile X OWs with some Applymovements on a Map and that would be a fairly easy "Follow Me".

Years
Just think about having to add all those OWs, for all those Pokemons, not even counting the possibility of expanded pokemons, and that could be a valid reason as to why nobody cares about this in a serious way ala Game Freak with HG/SS.
Also, is the amount of OWs expandable to such extend anyways?

Sure, it's not only applicable to Pokemons, but in other situations you can just script tile X OWs with some Applymovements on a Map and that would be a fairly easy "Follow Me".

For my hack I was only planning for one Pokemon overworld with that feature in Emerald which is an important feature for my remake.

Touched

Resident ASMAGICIAN
Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
For my hack I was only planning for one Pokemon overworld with that feature in Emerald which is an important feature for my remake.

Unfortunately, I doubt this will ever make it to Emerald. No one has even bothered to pick up from where I left off in the FireRed version, so I doubt anyone will bother porting to Emerald.

Back