• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokemon Emerald-Artificial Genesis

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcrobert

Lazy Antagonist
Years
  • Seen Aug 8, 2022
Pokemon Emerald-Artificial Genesis [Beta 0.1 released]

Pokemon Emerald-Artificial Genesis

Introduction
The aim of Pokemon Emerald-Artificial Genesis is not exactly to create a new game. Instead it is intended to improve on the existing Pokemon Emerald with a tighter plot, rebalanced pokemon, some new areas, and various other tweaks. This is also my first hack, so go easy on me.

Story
In the last few months, Hoenn has inexplicably been thrust into a time of change. Due to the unusual climate changes, many pokemon have migrated and the continent is in a state of confusion. The changes all seem to revolve around one person, a young man that our hero is fated to meet at every turn. This new enemy will become more and more dangerous, attacking the player with everything from traditional battles to vanishing pokemon gyms.

Features
-All pokemon obtainable.
-Best items are easier to get.
-Many trainers have different pokemon.
-Gym leaders have significantly better teams.
-Some pokemon have new stats, movesets, and even altered types.
-New areas.
-A brand new antagonist that surpasses both Magma and Aqua.
-Occasional references to literature, other video games, etc.
-Several inconsistencies fixed. IE. No female Machoke.
-Running indoors.
-All pokemon can breed (at least with Ditto).
-Safari Zone pokemon never run away.
-Fishing rod always hooks something.
-More features pending.

Screenshots
screen8.png
screen7.png
screen9.png

screenshot4.png
screenshot3.png
screen11.png

screenshot2.png
screen10.png
screenshot6.png

Utilities that were used include:
-Advance Map 1.92
-XSE
-WindHex32
-YAPE
-Advance Attack
-RSBall
-Unlz-gba
-OverworldEditorRE
-FSF
-A-Starter
-A-Trainer
-A-Mart
-A-Ptch

Important!
This hack is currently complete up through the second badge (Brawly). The only current (self-confirmed) issue with the hack is some sound corruption. I already know the cause, so treat it as a temporary problem and muscle through.

Release Information
You will need vba, A-ptch, XSE, a clean rom and the attached download to play this game. This is a beta, and my main purpose uploading it before it's finished is so that you can help me find any bugs or features you disagree with now as opposed to later. Feel free to PM/VM me any game-related issues as well.

Emerald-Artificial Genesis 0.1 beta-fixed

Starting Instructions
1. Get everything listed above.
2. Open the ROM in XSE.
3. Click on tools>rom resizer>expand (make sure it says FF).
4. Use A-ptch to patch the newly expanded ROM
5. Play it.

Last edited:

fliyer

played more than 2000 hours-_-
Years
  • Age 30
  • S.D.
  • Seen Jul 3, 2016
sounds like a good idea to improve on emerald, but what does this hack have that would make me want to replay through emerald? What is different about the plot? do i still have to deal with team magma and aqua or have you removed them from the game? Tell me what have you done with this emerald hack that will make me want to play it until the end?

Years
  • Seen Dec 7, 2012
The very first battle against your rival is SUPER glitched. The text goes into a long string of stuff, then leader Brawley is the sprite, it says bug catcher joey sends out ______ (blank space) and the question mark sprite shows up as your opponent. And its an instant win for you.

EDIT: First trainer battle on route 102 sends out a channeler who again has the question mark. It treats this one like a safari zone battle, but the trainer blocks the safari balls. The battle against the bug catcher sends out nothing, with 0 HP. And that battle would go on forever because he NEVER runs out of nothing to fight you with (I think I beat 15 "nothings" while testing this). However, it allows you to forfeit the battle. Finally, the girl in the upper right corner by the berries battles you with the water elite 4's image, and the entire game freezes. I think its safe to say that all of the trainer battles are messed up. To the point where you cannot battle trainers at all.

Last edited:

bcrobert

Lazy Antagonist
Years
  • Seen Aug 8, 2022
sounds like a good idea to improve on emerald, but what does this hack have that would make me want to replay through emerald? What is different about the plot? do i still have to deal with team magma and aqua or have you removed them from the game? Tell me what have you done with this emerald hack that will make me want to play it until the end?

Team Magma and Aqua have not been removed. In fact, very little of the game's original content will be removed. It's the additions that make it more interesting. Significantly harder gym battles, different wild pokemon, and added plot points and antagonists that make the existing plot more logical. By the end of the game the player would finally understand why Magma and Aqua were having their insanely stupid land vs. water war. But of course, that's what makes it a sideshow hack. It's mainly targeted at people who are only slightly bored with Emerald, as opposed to those who are so bored with it that they need entirely new continents.

@fadeawayrequiem

I have absolutely no idea what caused that, but I'll try the patch on a clean ROM and try to figure it out. The hack may have been damaged when I turned it into a patch somehow. (I say this because I test-played the original copy of the hack and didn't find any problems of that magnitude.) I didn't even edit Brendan/May, which is why I'm confused by this scenario. Hopefully I'll have the working version of Beta 0.1 online sometime soon.

Last edited:

regimeen

Alt + F4 user
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 16, 2011
Team Magma and Aqua have not been removed. In fact, very little of the game's original content will be removed. It's the additions that make it more interesting. Significantly harder gym battles, different wild pokemon, and added plot points and antagonists that make the existing plot more logical. By the end of the game the player would finally understand why Magma and Aqua were having their insanely stupid land vs. water war. But of course, that's what makes it a sideshow hack. It's mainly targeted at people who are only slightly bored with Emerald, as opposed to those who are so bored with it that they need entirely new continents.
not bad this sounds really fun actually and a nice intro to hacking for yourself as well. hope it goes well

bcrobert

Lazy Antagonist
Years
  • Seen Aug 8, 2022
The very first battle against your rival is SUPER glitched. The text goes into a long string of stuff, then leader Brawley is the sprite, it says bug catcher joey sends out ______ (blank space) and the question mark sprite shows up as your opponent. And its an instant win for you.

EDIT: First trainer battle on route 102 sends out a channeler who again has the question mark. It treats this one like a safari zone battle, but the trainer blocks the safari balls. The battle against the bug catcher sends out nothing, with 0 HP. And that battle would go on forever because he NEVER runs out of nothing to fight you with (I think I beat 15 "nothings" while testing this). However, it allows you to forfeit the battle. Finally, the girl in the upper right corner by the berries battles you with the water elite 4's image, and the entire game freezes. I think its safe to say that all of the trainer battles are messed up. To the point where you cannot battle trainers at all.
Okay, I'm pretty sure I found the problem. A-Ptch implements most of my changes but it seems as though it can't perform the most important one. It doesn't expand the ROM to 32 MB, probably just deleting all of the data that's been moved beyond the 16MB mark. So does anyone know a patching system that WILL resize the ROM if needed?

Otherwise I'll have to use a ROM that's already been expanded as the rombase and add instructions for how to do that part yourselves, and I'm hoping that won't be necessary. It forces too much onto the testers. I will try Lunar IPS when I get a chance.

astar_01

Creator of Pokémon Grey
Years
Okay, I'm pretty sure I found the problem. A-Ptch implements most of my changes but it seems as though it can't perform the most important one. It doesn't expand the ROM to 32 MB, probably just deleting all of the data that's been moved beyond the 16MB mark. So does anyone know a patching system that WILL resize the ROM if needed?

Otherwise I'll have to use a ROM that's already been expanded as the rombase and add instructions for how to do that part yourselves, and I'm hoping that won't be necessary. It forces too much onto the testers. I will try Lunar IPS when I get a chance.

A-Ptch does not re-size to 32mb but you can get people to do this instead:

Open the clean rom in XSE, go tools, then 'Rom re-sizer'.
Expand the rom to 32mb and then use A-Ptch to apply the patch.
It should work just fine then. :)

bcrobert

Lazy Antagonist
Years
  • Seen Aug 8, 2022
A-Ptch does not re-size to 32mb but you can get people to do this instead:

Open the clean rom in XSE, go tools, then 'Rom re-sizer'.
Expand the rom to 32mb and then use A-Ptch to apply the patch.
It should work just fine then. :)
Hm...yeah. I was hoping to avoid that, but I guess people who can't do one little thing in XSE shouldn't be playing hacks anyway. I've cleaned up some minor problems in beta 0.1, so I'll just make a new patch with the fixed version as soon as I have enough free time. Exact times are fuzzy but everyone can expect it soon-ish.

Pingouin_7

I am looking forward to the full version.

bcrobert

Lazy Antagonist
Years
  • Seen Aug 8, 2022
Okay, the link's back up. Pretty sure I combined the right files this time, so the awkward May=Brawly glitch (and related problems) should be gone now. Sorry about that.

By the way, there's a chance that the next version will make some more significant changes to maps that have already been edited. I'll mention any serious edits then. It could take anywhere from one to five months depending on when, where, and how often I find myself with free time. Some pokemon's types and movesets may end up changing again before this is all over, too. WIP=be ready for anything.

EDIT: Even if nobody plays it right away, could someone at least report on whether the patch is working properly now? This is my first time transferring something via patch, so I don't want to be left in the dark.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2020
it still has the same errors to me and that aps patcher with the xse doesnt work for me so i had to make the aps patch and rom the same name. I recommend using lunar ips its a lot easier to patch and a lot less stressful

bcrobert

Lazy Antagonist
Years
  • Seen Aug 8, 2022
it still has the same errors to me and that aps patcher with the xse doesnt work for me so i had to make the aps patch and rom the same name. I recommend using lunar ips its a lot easier to patch and a lot less stressful

Crap. I appreciate you telling me about this. And are you certain that you expanded the ROM before applying the patch? This particular hack requires you to perform those steps in the order specified for it to work. The problem is caused by the ROM not having enough space for the patcher to edit. If it somehow still doesn't work at this point, then I really will have to switch to Lunar IPS. Ugh...I really wish the direct distribution of outdated ROMs could be legalized, but I guess it can't be helped.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
leyatsu123, please don't bump threads that haven't been posted in for over a moth.

bcrobert, if you would like this thread to be reopened then just contact either myself or giradialkia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back