• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokémon Tri-Color Nostalgia Series

Fotomac

Genwunner and proud of it
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
Name: Pokémon Tri-Color Nostalgia Series (covers all three of the initial Gen I games)

Hack of: Pokémon Red (US)

Description:
This is a hack using the pokered disassembly created by the people of Skeetendo.

Basically, this is more of an old school-style update to the Japanese Gen I games (Red, Green, and Blue), including newer features, updated wild Pokémon lineups and dialogue, and some of the more damaging glitches fixed, among other things.

Completed Features (confirmed):
- Gender selection (Red or Leaf)
- Updated sprites for Brock, Misty (both now using Yellow sprites), and Blaine
- Trainers having individual names and sometimes even individual sprites (confirmed for Beta 2)
- A bigger bag (first expanding capacity to 30 and later adding more pouches)
- Anti-censorship of a certain series of events in Viridian City
- Ghost vs. Psychic type matchup fixed
- Focus Energy fixed
- Blue in-game trades
- Charizard able to learn Fly and Pikachu able to learn Surf

Screenshots:
NOTE: All screenshots from the monochrome version will use the default GBC/GBA colors in order to identify from which game the screenshots came. All screenshots captured from Visual Boy Advance in order to make use of these color schemes.

red_title.png
green_title.png
blue_title.png

leafs_mom_text.png
leaf_bulbasaur.png
leaf_town_map.png

anticensorship_a.png
anticensorship_b.png
anticensorship_c.png

Hack Status:

- Two of three Starters able to be obtained in-game
- Green version's SGB border currently being worked on; remapping not started yet
- First Brock rematch coded

Upcoming Features:

- A tribute to the Mew Glitch which will make Mew available in the wild outside of tall grass, water, caves, Pokémon Centers, and Poké Marts after you defeat the Swimmer in Cerulean Gym
- All three Starters available in-game (work in progress; see Hack Status above)
- All three Eeveelutions available in-game
- Both Fossil Pokémon available in-game
- Trainer rematches, including Gym Leader rematches (work in progress)
- New locations
- New Pokémon
- New trainer classes
- Translations in French, Spanish, German, and Italian

Unknown:

- Freeze fix

Known Glitches:

- Poison-type attacks against Poison-type Pokémon will always result in an "It doesn't affect [NAME OF POKÉMON]!" message being displayed, and attempting to knock out a Poison-type with a Poison-type attack will cause the game to freeze (confirmed to be fixed for Beta 2.1)
- Metapod cry higher-pitched than it's supposed to be
-Trainer names are not displayed correctly, resulting in, for example, "The BUG CATCHER wants to fight!" instead of "The BUG CATCHER RICK wants to fight!" (confirmed to be fixed for Beta 2.1)

Sprite Credits:

- Gamefreak
- Madame Frog (Leaf sprites)
- DarioEMeloD (Blaine sprite)
- icycatelf (Imakuni? battle sprite)
- BooGhostly (some Gen 2 Pokémon sprites)

Additional Credits:

- Mateo (showing me the ropes in regards to reprogramming the code and introducing me to Notepad++, and also helping me perfect the 5 Poké Balls thing)
- Shadic88 (helping me fix one of the in-game trades)
- Imafruitbat (some tips and tricks)
- megamctaco (helping me with the 5 Poké Balls thing)
- Crystal_ (helping me with some mechanics)
- and, of course, everyone involved in the pokered disassembly project

Downloads:
Beta 2 now available!

Github repository now available for potential testers to compile: https://github.com/Fotomac/Pokemon-Tri-Color-Nostalgia-Series

Beta 2.1, a glitch fix update, is coming soon.

Last edited:

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 10, 2020
Anti-censorship and all 3 games? Will have to check this out.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
I've just made the Github repository available for those who wish to test the game(s) and help with the glitches.

Last edited:

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
I actually saw these when I was lurking on Skeetendo. Looks great and the female character addition is a nice touch!

For the Viridian City one is it just the beer dialogue being back?

Roger Davis

Goofball
Years
You may have already thought of this, or it may be too much work, but I was just wondering, if one is going to represent the boy and one the girl, have you thought of one of the versions having the rival playable with edited dialogue, or would that be too much work?

Either way, this looks very cool and I look forward to seeing more!

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
You may have already thought of this, or it may be too much work, but I was just wondering, if one is going to represent the boy and one the girl, have you thought of one of the versions having the rival playable with edited dialogue, or would that be too much work?

FR/LG didn't do it, so I don't see any real reason to since it's going to involve quite a bit of coding and planning.

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
Woah ... I almost got worried that it's been a month without you posting a new thread about a new game. My lame remark aside, I see that you've moved into the ROM-Hacking scene.

How are you finding ROM-Hacking? I'm honestly curious to see how you've been finding your way with it. You seem to have made decent progress with it, and are posting more than just typed up ideas. Are you having more/less fun with the hack? More/less difficulties with hacking in general? I only ask because I have no experience with it.

Are you making any changes to the story-line of the game? Or keeping it the same, with just differences in the game-play? Any changes to the region? (Usually you're more descriptive with these types of things)

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
How are you finding ROM-Hacking? I'm honestly curious to see how you've been finding your way with it. You seem to have made decent progress with it, and are posting more than just typed up ideas. Are you having more/less fun with the hack? More/less difficulties with hacking in general? I only ask because I have no experience with it.

It's definitely easier than creating new games from scratch, that's for sure. I find Assembly surprisingly easy to work with, though I still have a lot to learn (oh, and I always test the game as I go along, just to be sure I'm doing it right).

Are you making any changes to the story-line of the game? Or keeping it the same, with just differences in the game-play? Any changes to the region? (Usually you're more descriptive with these types of things)

Still in Kanto. Think of it as an enhanced version of the original games, with new features (many of which I plan to include in R3D and Green 3D if and when I finally get around to making any progress on that pair of games--oh, before I forget, would you personally recommend trying to write those games in Assembly?).

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
Still in Kanto. Think of it as an enhanced version of the original games, with new features (many of which I plan to include in R3D and Green 3D if and when I finally get around to making any progress on that pair of games--oh, before I forget, would you personally recommend trying to write those games in Assembly?).

I have no experience with any of that, so it would be unprofessional for me to give you any recommendation. My advice would be to pursue whatever/wherever you feel the most comfortable and most productive. If you feel that you are finding yourself in a more natural environment when using Assembly, then do that.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
I just discovered another glitch. The Pewter phone call played as I thought it would, but it ended automatically as soon as the last text box finished.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
Beta 1, with updated text, sprites, features, encounters, and learnsets, among other things, is now available. It's not fully tested, but two of the three starters should be available in-game.

ETA: Let me know if you have any problems extracting the files or if you encounter any glitches I didn't catch.

Last edited:

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
Anyway, I just tested out my hack with the Poké Balls event moved and the dialogue stopped, practically amounting to a game freeze, after the Pokédex was handed out. I feel I may have to edit the below script to fix that:

OaksLabScript16: ; 1cf12 (7:4f12)
ld a, [wd730]
bit 0, a
ret nz
call EnableAutoTextBoxDrawing
call PlayDefaultMusic
ld a, $fc
ld [wJoyIgnore], a
call OaksLabScript_1cefd
ld a, $16
ld [hSpriteIndexOrTextID], a
call DisplayTextID
call DelayFrame
call OaksLabScript_1cefd
ld a, $17
call DisplayTextID
call DelayFrame
call OaksLabScript_1cefd
ld a, $18
call DisplayTextID
call DelayFrame
ld a, $19
call DisplayTextID
call Delay3
ld a, HS_POKEDEX_1
ld [wMissableObjectIndex], a
predef HideObject
ld a, HS_POKEDEX_2
predef HideObject
call OaksLabScript_1cefd
ld a, $1a
call DisplayTextID
ld a, $1
ld [H_SPRITEINDEX], a
ld a, SPRITE_FACING_RIGHT
ld [hSpriteFacingDirection], a
call SetSpriteFacingDirectionAndDelay
call Delay3
ld a, $1b
call DisplayTextID
SetEvent EVENT_GOT_POKEDEX
SetEvent EVENT_OAK_GOT_PARCEL
ld a, HS_LYING_OLD_MAN
predef HideObject
ld a, HS_OLD_MAN
predef ShowObject
ld a, [wSavedNPCMovementDirections2Index]
ld b, 0
ld c, a
ld hl, wNPCMovementDirections2
xor a ; NPC_MOVEMENT_DOWN
call FillMemory
ld [hl], $ff
ld a, $ff
ld [wNewSoundID], a
call PlaySound
callba Music_RivalAlternateStart
ld a, $1
ld [H_SPRITEINDEX], a
ld de, wNPCMovementDirections2
call MoveSprite

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
I never noticed that. I did all testing using GBC palettes.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
Which parts of the disassembly do you recommend I check, that I may right the SGB palettes for my hack?

Oh, after some tinkering, I was able to get the 5 Poké Balls glitch fixed so it works almost perfectly smoothly. The only real glitch I noticed is there's now a new blank dialogue space immediately after the Poké Balls are handed out. Other than that, it now plays out the way I originally intended. Perhaps there's something I overlooked in the text bank?

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
I just now added the changes to the Github repository after testing them. Following that debacle with the Item Bag capacity, I made it a personal policy to not commit any changes to Github until I am positive they work perfectly fine.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
Well, I only figured out the best way to go about it today, after you gave me an idea on how to do it. It took some trial and error, needless to say. (Just as a reminder: the general structure of the event in this hack is intended to follow the sequence of the same as presented in FR/LG.)

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
Right... so apart from the palette problems, have you run into anything else in Beta 1?

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
Anyway, taking your cue on how to adjust for gender differences in translations in gendered languages, I ended up creating a SpecialTrainerIDs section specifically for the rival, the gym leaders, and the Elite Four and split some text bits while in the process of adding trainer names. Here's what I've got for that:

SpecialTrainerIDs:
db RIVAL1
db GIOVANNI
db BRUNO
db BROCK
db MISTY
db LT.SURGE
db ERIKA
db KOGA
db BLAINE
db SABRINA
db RIVAL2
db RIVAL3
db LORELEI
db AGATHA
db LANCE
db "@"

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
The SGB border will not be functional for a while, perhaps not even for Beta 2, but which numbers do you recommend for the Green Version's SGB palette?

Back