• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sandstorm Team

Years
  • Seen Aug 12, 2012
I have created a 4th generation Sandstorm Team. Any ratings/suggestions?

Tyranitar
Jolly
252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
Lum Berry

Dragon Dance
Stone Edge
Crunch
Earthquake

Lucario
Timid
Inner Focus
252 SpA/4 SpD/252 Spe
Choice Specs

Aura Sphere
Vacuum Wave
Dragon Pulse
Shadow Ball

Heatran
Timid
52 SpA/4 SpD/252 Spe
Leftovers

Substitute
Fire Blast
Earth Power
Explosion

Magnezone
Naive
4 Atk/252 SpA/252 Spe
Choice Scarf

Thunderbolt
Hidden Power Ice
Flash Cannon
Explosion

Cradily
Careful
252 HP/4 Atk/252 SpD
Leftovers

Curse
Recover
Rock Slide
Earthquake

Tentacruel
Bold
252 HP/136 SpD/120 Def
Black Sludge

Toxic Spikes
Rapid Spin
Surf
Sludge Bomb

Any suggestions for this team would be greatly appreciated.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Timid takes away from Heatran's Attack, so Explosion isn't a good idea. Use Hidden Power (Ice) for Dragonite or Hidden Power (Grass) for Swampert and other bulky Waters instead of that.

Also, you have a huge Ground and Fighting weakness. Skarmory isn't weak to those moves, but it's also immune to Sandstorm and has incredibly high Defense. It could probably go over Cradily:
-Spikes/Stealth Rock
-Roost
-Whirlwind
-Brave Bird/Drill Peck/Taunt
Nature: Impish/Careful
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef or 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef
Item: Leftovers/Shed Shell

Years
  • Seen Aug 12, 2012
Timid takes away from Heatran's Attack, so Explosion isn't a good idea. Use Hidden Power (Ice) for Dragonite or Hidden Power (Grass) for Swampert and other bulky Waters instead of that.

Also, you have a huge Ground and Fighting weakness. Skarmory isn't weak to those moves, but it's also immune to Sandstorm and has incredibly high Defense. It could probably go over Cradily:
-Spikes/Stealth Rock
-Roost
-Whirlwind
-Brave Bird/Drill Peck/Taunt
Nature: Impish/Careful
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef or 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef
Item: Leftovers/Shed Shell

Thanks for the response. The Skarmory sounds like an interesting idea; however, removing the Cradily leaves me with two Electric Weaknesses and no resistences/immunities. In addition, The Cradily can actually be used as a sweeper with curse. Even with the current set, I can be swept by a Raikou with Aura Sphere. Would a Hippowdon be a good choice?

EDIT: I have added a Gliscor to the team. This seems to take care of both mentioned problems.

Last edited:
Years
Lucario's nature is perfect but change the EV spread to 4 HP, 252 Sp. Attack and 252 Speed.

Also, replace Dragon Pulse and Shadow Ball with Hidden Power Ice and Dark Pulse.

Keep the Choice Specs.

Lila.

Banned
Years
Hey man, nice dpp ou team. At the moment, I think that you could really benefit from creating a focus on this team. What I mean is that you should definitely have a certain goal that you're trying to accomplish. Right now, I think that if you ran swords dance lucario over your current version, it would help you achieve a lot more than the specs variant. DD Tyranitar + Swords dance lucario is an excellent offensive combo, and they can easily remove each other's counters. I'd use a set of sd / close combat / exspeed / crunch on this team. Aside from that, I think that tentacruel and cradily are very obsolete on this team. Atm, stuff like dd gyara and other boosting sweepers even opposing lucario have their way with this team. A quick fix would be to run scarf rotom-w over cradily. Cradily works much better on a stall based team that provides a lot more support than you currently do. Another option on this team is to test lo starmie over tentacruel. On this type of team, starmie works pretty much perfectly in giving you a hard hitting and excellent spinner against stall. Aside from that, it gives you a neat fighting resist (you need one badly, even if you add rotom-w) and pairs well with the rest of the team. Another quick note, you need stealth rock badly, try running it on heatran or something I guess. gl!

Jat

Years
  • Seen Dec 12, 2013
you know, personally i hate legends and all, and heatran isn't that great even compared to the legendary birds. But using tyranitar and lucario there is a brave act since Luc can't take more than four turns in battle with sandstorm because he is affected by it. I would rather you switch you're tentacruel for one of these: Aggron, Dugtrio, Kangaskhan, or maybe even perhaps Golem if speed isn't that important to you.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
you know, personally i hate legends and all, and heatran isn't that great even compared to the legendary birds. But using tyranitar and lucario there is a brave act since Luc can't take more than four turns in battle with sandstorm because he is affected by it. I would rather you switch you're tentacruel for one of these: Aggron, Dugtrio, Kangaskhan, or maybe even perhaps Golem if speed isn't that important to you.

Lucario can avoid Sandstorm's passive damage due to it being a half-Steel Pokemon. And what makes you say Heatran isn't good compared to the legendary birds? It's OU material because of its high Special Attack, good defenses and good defensive typing

Aggron and Golem don't do much good in OU due to their common weaknesses, but Dugtrio does make a good revenge killer to consider, despite sharing weaknesses with some team members. And if you don't mind my asking, what exactly is Tentacruel's purpose on the team other than Rapid Spinning?:
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Sucker Punch/Night Slash
-Pursuit/Substitute
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap

Years
  • Seen Aug 12, 2012
I added Tentacruel because I was constantly having trouble with Infernape.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I added Tentacruel because I was constantly having trouble with Infernape.

That makes sense now that I thought about it.

But if Tentacruel goes down, Infernape can just plow right through. Would Dragonite help? It also resists Infernape's STABs (it's up to you what set you want to use)

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
I agree, relying on Tentacruel to cover so many weaks is asking for trouble, especially since something such as a simple as a CB fighter just destroys you, even Heracross goes through you like a hot knife through butter. Get another fight/water resist or a few actually lol.

Also for future reference your whole team doesnt have to be immune to SS it really compounds weaknesses.

Back