• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

IMPORTANT: Regarding under-13s and COPPA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yukari

1) The law is dumb. I registered what, 2, 3 years ago? I probably lied then (I've since changed it), but I'm 14 in less than a week. No repercussions ever happened even when I mentioned it. A bit surprising that they're banning the kids now.

You should remember that under 13's can legally join this forum, so long as they have parental consent.

Whether or not the law is stupid is irrelevant. It applies.

And really it isn't stupid. It is for the protection of those under 13, while I think the method they went about this is, maybe, questionable It isn't stupid they're only thinking about your protection. And like Maruno said Stupid or not ITS THE LAW! (God I wish I knew this sooner, :( I was twelve when I signed up. :()

1)
2) The law only applies to US jurisdiction. Assuming that doesn't extend to Canada, I recommend whoever owns the servers (I think that's Rukario's company) just move it to Vancouver and access it remotely when he needs to. If jurisdiction extends to Canada in violation of obvious principles, I recommend he move them to the Netherlands with Ixquick, where they can't bother him and the target audience of Poke'mon can register freely.

That statement is unbelievably selfish what your saying is "I want Rukario to uproot himself, move to another country and basically create a new life just so he can escape this law".

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 16, 2014
I am 13 year old Lucky soo lucky but i dont understand why age is important pokemon is kids so if htey only dont play wats fun for them pokemon is major kids only watch almost

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I am 13 year old Lucky soo lucky but i dont understand why age is important pokemon is kids so if htey only dont play wats fun for them pokemon is major kids only watch almost
I, along with many others agree, but it's a matter of complying with the law. As previously mentioned, COPPA is being enforced to ensure PC doesn't get into any trouble in the future.

Also, it's great to have you with us! C:

Last edited:

Yukari

Pokemon is targeted at children, true. But It's the law, so really PC has no choice but to enforce COPPA. It's sad that a large portion of Pokemon's audience isn't legally capable of being on here, without the parent's permission. It makes it a lot harder for children to sign up, but it's the law.

I hope my post isn't being repetitive.

Keromatsu

Froakie is Awesome!
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2021
Am I safe? I'm asking as I was under 13 when I joined, I'm like almost 14 now.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Am I safe? I'm asking as I was under 13 when I joined, I'm like almost 14 now.
If you are 13 or above now, you can go on PC without special consent from your parents. So keep roaming the forums without a worry :)

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
Years
The stuff on PC is generally pretty clean. Should there be a law that if the gov. Checks out a website, they can approve it and anyone can join? We have a good community with great mods. I'm way above the age, for your information.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
The stuff on PC is generally pretty clean. Should there be a law that if the gov. Checks out a website, they can approve it and anyone can join? We have a good community with great mods. I'm way above the age, for your information.

I don't think the government minds about what goes on on here as long as it's not illegal and we follow COPPA.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
Years
I was a little under 13 when I first registered. Oh, the naive little me. xDD

I completely understand regarding this matter. You don't know how many pedophiles are lurking on the internet. Remember the Swapnote incident?

Plus, it is the US law. If people disagree to it, PC can't just move its servers to a different country. Admit it, in a lot of websites you're going that requires registration, the 13-year-old law is there, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back