• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokesharp 2.0 - Java reboot

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
Great! So lookin forward to this.
If it can done most features as Essentials do, it will become the best Pokemon-fangame engine ever.

I am hoping for it to be as complete as Essentials. I have been contemplating the event system in RPG Maker which is really nice. (List of commands, no scripting required) I would love to do that and I have
been trying to figure out efficient and intelligent way to implement my own.

I also read a bit into some scripting language (Ruby and Groovy to be precise) and I think I will use Groovy for Pokesharp. I know RPG Maker uses Ruby and for that reason, I might offer it as an alternative language. At that point, more languages could also be added such as Python and Lua.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 30, 2014
Hey man, I've seen you working on engines here for a while, and not to be that guy, but you do know that libgdx supports Tiled right out of the box. Tiled is a great, cross-platform map editor that you don't have to code yourself ;). I know I get burnt out designing my own tools, so just wanted to let you know.

Not that your editor looks bad or anything, it looks pretty great!

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
Hey man, I've seen you working on engines here for a while, and not to be that guy, but you do know that libgdx supports Tiled right out of the box. Tiled is a great, cross-platform map editor that you don't have to code yourself ;). I know I get burnt out designing my own tools, so just wanted to let you know.

Not that your editor looks bad or anything, it looks pretty great!

Yeah I know. I rather make my own editor because I have my own map format and I don't want people to force people to use both Tiled along with my own tool for map connections, battle animations etc.

Tiled is cool but it doesn't let you work as fast as I wish it would also and it's not very intuitive to use for beginners (I myself had some difficulties using it the first time). My tileset format is different also. Tiled doesn't let you have tile permissions either. (Unless you have a layer dedicated for this stuff but again, not very intuitive...)

Also I'm posting weekly updates on my website. (www.pokesharp.com, I posted the third weekly update yesterday)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
How to say.... It's amazing!
Do you have any date for the first release?

Can't promise any date for now. Ludum Dare is coming up and I'm playing games or practicing pixel art most of the time lately. I did write the game exportation code this week though so I can start coding the game engine soon enough. Once I'm able to walk around in the maps I made with the map editor, I'll start working on events.

Back