• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ash battling like a noob...

Years
  • Seen Oct 25, 2018
Okay, I recently got back into the anime. I kind of just stopped watching it for a while and am now catching up online. Something that really strikes me about what I've seen so far (I'm on Episode 15) is that Ash is getting through this Gen almost completely on luck alone. He's make far less use of inventive solutions, he's losing a lot more... and just general craziness.

One prime example is Trip. He's a brand new trainer and just put the smackdown on Ash and Pikachu way to easily. Seriously, that first battle between Pikachu and Snivy should've resulted in Pikachu's victory even without electric type moves. But Snivy, a Poke'mon with almost no battle experience whatsoever, defeated Pikachu in only a few hits.

Pikachu also seems to be failing a lot in this Gen. He's done almost nothing notable at all in these episodes.

Trip again gets a one-up on Ash in Episode 10 at their battle club battle. Pikachu was less prominent then Ash's Snivy. I understand why Ash's other Pokemon lost pretty easily, their new, but Pikachu should've been able to do much more then it did.

It's just annoying me how newby Ash has been acting throughout this entire season so far. He's acting like this is his and Pikachu's first adventure. He's a Pro, and he's battling with nowhere near the ability he displayed in Diamond and Pearl. Is anyone else annoyed by this?

JadeSkittles

Gamer Girl
Years
This was almost two years ago. Let it go. It always happens whenever a new series begins. not sure why people are still complaining. After 4 series and 700 eps

Years
  • Seen Oct 25, 2018
Like I said, I'm just getting back into it.

Also, I don't seem to remember Ash battling quite this badly from the beginning of any one of the other generations. At least he actually gave his opponents a challenge if he lost, in BW he's barely making a dent.

Years
  • Seen Oct 25, 2018
That's good to know!

The one thing that I like about this Gen is that Team Rocket aren't idiots anymore. They actually have some pretty neat moments (also, they don't blast away anymore, THANK GOD, that was annoying...).

Renegade1

#1 Noob!
Years
Agreed, Team Rocket are pretty sweet now. However I miss the comedy they bring.

@Topic; Ash is a noob. End off.

Years
  • Seen Oct 25, 2018
Agreed, Team Rocket are pretty sweet now. However I miss the comedy they bring.

@Topic; Ash is a noob. End off.

I for one don't really miss the old Team Rocket. There comedy started good, but it was just the same gags over and over again eventually. Although, you can't say the part where they painted Meowth like Umbreon wasn't pretty funny, :)

About Ash being a noob... he isn't supposed to be. He has a ton of experience, he would've won the Lily of the Valley Conference if Tobias hadn't been cheating and using a Darkrai... He sure isn't acting like the pro he is, and it's reeeeally annoying. Especially after following this series since I was a kid.

Also, it seems like some of his character development didn't really stick. He's gotten over and confidence issues he has by now, but his fight for the Basic Badge was a mess. He was completely unsure of himself.

Renegade1

#1 Noob!
Years
I for one don't really miss the old Team Rocket. There comedy started good, but it was just the same gags over and over again eventually. Although, you can't say the part where they painted Meowth like Umbreon wasn't pretty funny, :)

About Ash being a noob... he isn't supposed to be. He has a ton of experience, he would've won the Lily of the Valley Conference if Tobias hadn't been cheating and using a Darkrai... He sure isn't acting like the pro he is, and it's reeeeally annoying. Especially after following this series since I was a kid.

Also, it seems like some of his character development didn't really stick. He's gotten over and confidence issues he has by now, but his fight for the Basic Badge was a mess. He was completely unsure of himself.

Repetitive comedy is the best!

I know Ash isn't supposed to be. Even watching it as a kid, growing up. I always consisered him a mediocre trainer who just got lucky, having powerful pokemon or just getting a lucky result. I'm rewatching the entire Pokemon anime, I still look back and remember shouting at the screen (i was sad, i know) tellimg him he's using the wrong move or switching etc.

In conclusion; Ash is a noob :P

Years
  • Seen Oct 25, 2018
Yea, Ash got extremely lucky throughout Kanto. But he started getting honestly good in Johto, and really started to show maturity and professionalism in Hoenn. In Sinnoh, he got really good.

The show is at it's best when Ash uses incredibly unorthodox but clever solutions to solve his problems. I'm not seeing much of that in Black and White at all, except for when he used Water Gun to bounce Oshawotts shell into the air after bouncing it's attack off the wall (epic win).

Seriously, it's like they pressed the rewind button on Ash's skills and character development to when he was just entering Johto, XD

Renegade1

#1 Noob!
Years
Yea, Ash got extremely lucky throughout Kanto. But he started getting honestly good in Johto, and really started to show maturity and professionalism in Hoenn. In Sinnoh, he got really good.

The show is at it's best when Ash uses incredibly unorthodox but clever solutions to solve his problems. I'm not seeing much of that in Black and White at all, except for when he used Water Gun to bounce Oshawotts shell into the air after bouncing it's attack off the wall (epic win).

Seriously, it's like they pressed the rewind button on Ash's skills and character development to when he was just entering Johto, XD

Yeah, I saw that episode the other day! I was like 'hrm, bet Cilan told him to do it, through his mind' LOL.

I disagree partially@ him getting increasingly better, I'm up to Hoenn again (where he just won the Balance Badge). I guess in little ways he did. But everytime a new region appears he starts off like a noob. I mean in Hoenn he challenged for the Balance badge at the start and got his backside whooped. :| I don't really mind though, it's like a new journey which keeps me interested as to the path he takes once more.

Years
  • Seen Oct 25, 2018
I guess it is sort of refreshing, still annoying, but refreshing.

In most anime, the main character would be an unstoppable bada** by now, lol

Years
  • Seen Oct 25, 2018
That's what I meant.

Still, he already starts with new Pokemon in every region... it's extremely unnecessary to roll back his character development like they do.

I also don't like how they treat all the characters they introduce like their disposable. I miss May and Max, Misty and Brock. This show has one serious lack of fanservice. Seriously, if I didn't like the battling I probably wouldn't watch this show. It usually has a pretty awesome storyline, but they don't do anything to please long-term fans of the series, and they just love resetting everything after every Generation.

At least we sometimes get some fanservice when the Poke'mon League gets closer... such as Misty coming back when the Hoenn League was underway.

Also, I honestly wish the Pokemon League worked in the games like it does in the show. It would be a whole lot more interesting to make it a Tournament then just fighting the Elite 4. It would also be a great change of pace.

Although, honestly, it seems like the Elite 4 have an extremely reduced presence in the show. Not to mention there is no explanation for why they are there in the first place, since the trainer doesn't have to actually fight them to become the League Champion. It would be cooler if anyone who won the tournament got to fight the Elite 4 as a chance to prove themselves the champion, :)

Renegade1

#1 Noob!
Years
Well, never say never!

I miss Brock to be honest, he was awesome. he was one of the few who kept his knowledge and skill throughout the regions he was in.

Years
  • Seen Oct 25, 2018
Yea, I miss Brock to. It's strange watching Pokemon without him there.

Seriously, he's the one character other then Ash who has been in every single Pokemon series as a main character. He just disappeared after Diamond and Pearl, extremely annoying.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
Ash had a rough start in Sinnoh he tied with Paul Elekid and lost his first match against Roark. His loss against Lenora was just his generational loss in a gym so I wouldn't look to much into that. I'd look more into his poor performance like you said with Trip at the Battle Club. He has fared a bit better since but he still seems lacking even with his battle recently against Homika he has a 6 on 3 match and barely won...

Childish_Gavino

*Witty Phrase*
Years
I think the anime is poorly handled when it comes to the balance. For some reason they can't get the balance between ash being a super trainer and ash being an incompetent fool. Honestly, I would like to see how the anime would work if he DID act like a super trainer...I think it would make for a much better show. Really though, I think they can make ash's skill level balanced WITHOUT having him purposely putting himself at a disadvantage by sending out a grass type against a poison type, or not evolving his pokemon. (Seriously, why does he not do that? "Because I love you!" is not a valid excuse anymore.)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 9, 2017
Ash really sucks for the hero of the show and you're right Pikachu has been in what, 5 generations? It supposed to murder all of Ash's opponents with ease like what Charizard did with the Johto trainers until ash released it.

Years
  • Seen Jul 3, 2012
I think Ash gets Pikachu's stats reset after each region. Seriously, it seems as if Pikachu might still be Level 5.

Back