• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Future currency

Poster

Will pixel art for pizza
Years
What do you think we will be using in the future to trade goods, instead of our 'paper and bronze'? I'm not giving a predefined date because I'm not a prophet ;;

-Are we still going to use money?
-Will it be limited to credit cards?
-Will it all be data stored in computers and pixels appearing on our screens?
-Or will there be a new system the overthrows currency as we know it?

Share your thoughts/predictions here. I'd also like to see if there are any international guesses on the matter.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
I think we will always use coin and paper money like we do now. At least I hope we do because I like the feeling of finding coins on the ground and picking them up! YOU CAN'T PICK UP PIXELS FROM THE GROUND!

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
Years
I think in the future there will be no paper money it will all be credit cards.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I think that we will go back to gold,silver, Platinum and other metals as the us dollar's supremacy as the global currency is challenged. Also those metals are much better than the use of paper plus they are shiny :)

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
I think in the future there will be no paper money it will all be credit cards.
Debit cards, I think you mean.

I agree with the card notion in any case, that is, if cash is replaced. It is reliant on all of the world becoming developed and connected, something for starters Africa generally is not. It's like the hover cars they once thought we'd have today — possible, but a logistical nightmare, very little gain for the expenses it imposes.
I don't think money will ultimately be replaced, at least not in the relevant future. It might all become banknotes, with coins disappearing —or I merely think that'd be nice— but I don't think anything will entirely replace cash as we know it, unless we become a society that doesn't rely on money, a regression to bartering perhaps, or progression to some yet unknown economic model.

i think w`ill trade information
:))
Explain, if you please. Sounds like a very dystopian future you have in mind, but I can't really grasp how information would replace money.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 15, 2016
Probably as data with debit cards or even things like mobile phones like they do in Japan to transfer it. The main problem with digital currency is security. There will always be people who manage to wiggle past the security programs and add extra balance to their accounts. I don't think paper and coins will disappear any time soon though.

Years
We will probably still have paper money, or maybe a mix of elements like Australia's currency. I don't see debit cards replacing everything, especially coins, though I wouldn't mind that becoming paper/mixed-elements money.

But I'd really love world currency.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
I think they want to make everything digital so that people can't "claim" cash payments so they don't have to pay taxes.. or paying taxes to transfer money to other people's accounts. It's illegal to send money through the mail, basically because of this.. because they want to "track" money.

Maybe I'm oldschool.. but I like my cash. Card might be easier.. but you never know what sort of situation you might end up in. It's always handy to carry gold and cash with you.

Back