• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: POKEMON: Dark Rising

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
Hi! I recently finished my review of this hack. It's a bit too long to post here, so I'll just link to it:

http://s7.zetaboards.com/Nuzlocke_Forum/topic/8792665/1/

It also details a number of "tiny" problems that were probably overlooked by the expert hackers who played this, which you might want to fix. That said, I do acknowledge my opinion may only be shared by a "small percentage" of people, despite that being most everyone else I've talked to about this game.

Years
I doubt she has the power to get posts removed just because she disagrees with them, Eelektross.

Anyway, DRG, I personally enjoyed DKHTP's review of this hack and he brought up a LOT of valid criticisms. Yes some of it was kinda sarcastic but that's not going to invalidate what he says. He is entertaining people after all. If you can't accept constructive criticism then I think you need to develop a thicker skin about what people say to you over the internet.

Also, please don't generalise an entire community and think you can control the moderators just because you got offended.

Ace.

Love Yourself
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 29, 2015
Actually, you should definitely consider other people's opinions. I mean things you should have done before releasing a beta in the first place was not have a release date at all. This hack could have been done a lot better than it is now in my opinion. Since you made a release date you pressured yourself to release a beta in time without at least fixing the many bugs it had. This hack had potential. Sadly it wasn't fully brought out. And the Physical/Special split does work. If you mean the icons next to the move then no. That's not what the patch does. It applies the Physical/Special split not the icons itself.

[POST DELETED]

^this. Thats exactly what I mean. You can't just make something without everyone saying it's good. Everyone has different opinions. Saying Ruby Destiny is one of the best hacks on pc is an opinion not a fact. (I'm not hating on the ruby destiny series, It's a pretty cool hack). I'm not hating on your hack, it's just that you should take other people's opinions and use that to make your hack better instead of not listening at all and saying your hack is already good enough. I've played Dark Rising enough to know that you have to grind, battle trainers that are overleved, and worst of all there are lots of trainers on every route.

And awards really? Just cause you won awards you go ahead and think that your hack is already the best? NONONONONO.

[POST DELETED]

You saying no one taking your hack seriously is like saying you don't take your hack seriously at all. Sometimes you get positive reviews sometimes you don't. You can't just go on ahead and say "Oh my hack got some awards. I don't need to improve it anymore."

Last edited by a moderator:

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
[POST DELETED]

I really didn't want to post on this thread again, but if you're going to be insulting my work:

72yNIjO.png

Also, as I explained in your very own thread, the icons are not included in the patch as they require free space, and I would rather have the patch be applicable to an edited ROM.

Furthermore, I have completed a hack. You may notice a link to it in my signature. It's not very hard to find. That said, you still should not ignore the advice of non-hackers. It doesn't take a chef to know when the food is terrible.

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
I'm not taking these COMMENTS serious or the criticism (I believe I already said this), but what people always fail to see is that they jump to conclusions and think the creator of their ROM have ultimately forgotten about it. Where that is not always the case, I am very well aware of the errors and bugs and I AM working on them when I am not working on DR2.

Go and say all the critique's you want, but if you have no hacks or didn't even FINISH one, or feel like you can "critique" me because of some errors like I'm not aware and then you say I have an attitude? lol. I'm not wasting my time anymore, the fun is over. I'm not trying to sound like I have an attitude or I'm grouchy, I am only saying.

I'm done posting. I love Pokemon as much as the next person and I love ROM hacking. I want people to play what they love to watch, but last I checked...this getting a little too serious don't ya'll think? Yes, everyone can learn how to script/map/ insert and etc but we are not the ACTUAL PROFESSIONAL creators who make Pokemon (Who get paid by the way. I mean you're lucky anyone posts at all and makes ROM people are willing to play).

I don't feel offended at all thanks very much. I'm just watching everyone else post.

! !

Last edited:

Bela

Banned
Years
[POST DELETED]

Let's talk about votes. I think the Pokecommunity staff needs to clean house in how it handles these hack competitions. If you take a look at the Hack of the Year 2012 nomination thread, you'll find quite a few suspect accounts voting. Members with only a few posts (in some cases only 1, the one that is voting on these hacks) can be found voting here. This seems like an issue that could be easily resolved if only there was some moderator who did an IP check on accounts like these. Also, you have people who worked on a hack voting for that hack, which I am surprised isn't against the rules.

In essence, I think these competitions are illegitimate. I suspect many others in this community feel the same way--we should do something about it. Now, as how this relates to the matter at hand: citing these awards your hack wins in a competition of questionable legitimacy really means next to nothing.

It is not a measure of a quality hack that you can manage to get enough of your friends (or perhaps outright cheat) to help you win a vote. I think it is a testament to quite the opposite that there are this many people who have made it known they think otherwise.

Darkrisinggirl: It's cute that you keep spamming that image. It appears you are hanging your hat on this point. I won't play this nominal game of accolades with you. For what it's worth, my hack won Second Hack of the Quarter, but you don't see stating this in the face of criticism.

Saying "I won something, I have expert hackers on my side" are both incredibly weak appeals to authority. I've already addressed the "winning something" argument. The "expert hackers" you claim you consulted appear to have been unable to discern flaws in your work that others here have been incredibly kind to point out to you. I can't image how exceedingly arrogant and contemptuous you would have to be to ignore their criticism.

And as for your claim it takes a special person to understand what it takes to "complete" a game, this is just special pleading (really so is claiming you have expert hackers that know better than these other people). And while we're at it, your hack was probably one of the quickest I've ever seen to be "complete". What do you think that tells me about the quality of such a project?

Instead of arguing the merits of your work, you employ the above fallacies instead of actually defending the quality of your hack (which you seem unable to do). Instead, all you seem to be doing is stroking your ego in the face of people you view as beneath you. I really despise such bigotry and am glad others are making it clear they do too.

Just know this: You're making yourself look bad in this community when you react this way to criticism.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Alright everybody, tone this thread down. I'd like to redirect all recent repliers to this portion of the Hacks Showcase Rules Thread:

Do not comment offensively when criticising a hack.
Don't show signs of brutality when criticising a hack – no sarcastic comments, flaming, or any other snide comments that may offensive or may lower their self-esteem. Try to be neutral in your commenting.

If you are the hack owner, don't react harshly to the comments of others – don't expect constant praise. The criticisms that you receive should be to point out where you need to improve!

Regardless as to whether you believe Dark Rising is a good hack or not please stick to non-trolling/ overly sarcastic responses - Being helpful is far better than being brash.

DarkRisingGirl, please take more care in how you respond to others. You're in charge of this thread so aim to be a good host and respond appropriately rather than flippantly disregarding people because they visit different forums/ have an alternate opinion to you.

The next person to post anything remotely disrespectful to another member here will be infracted. Fair warning.

Rhetco

i dunno man
Years
Read my above comment. Doesn't matter if I correct my mistakes now or two years from now, I'm correcting the mistakes (unlike some hacks that are just buried and haven't been touch) at least I'm always coming back to mine. Am I wrong? No.

But your above post doesn't answer my question. All it does it confirm what I already said. I wanted to know WHY you consider an unfinished hack to be finished. I didn't ask if you would be fixing it at a later time.

...And something else I feel should be mentioned, is that due to the above post, you have now officially stated that neither Agastya, nor DoesntKnowHowToPlay have made hacks. However, this is untrue, as both of them have made ROM hacks that in my opinion, are of very good quality.

I'm not trying to insult you, or make you look like a bad guy, and I sincerely hope that I'm not coming off as doing so. I just think that you should take a little more time to do some research before you start accusing people of things that you only assume to be true.

[Edit] Alright, after reading your edit, it seems that you think people are getting mad at your hack, and only your hack. Though I haven't read the entire thread, I have a feeling that your attitude towards constructive criticism might be part of why people are getting fed up with you. Some of these people are trying to help you, and give you advice. But if you just ignore them and pretend that their comments don't exist, then people begin to get mad.

Last edited:

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
But your above post doesn't answer my question. All it does it confirm what I already said. I wanted to know WHY you consider an unfinished hack to be finished. I didn't ask if you would be fixing it at a later time.

...And something else I feel should be mentioned, is that due to the above post, you have now officially stated that neither Agastya, nor DoesntKnowHowToPlay have made hacks. However, this is untrue, as both of them have made ROM hacks that in my opinion, are of very good quality.

I'm not trying to insult you, or make you look like a bad guy, and I sincerely hope that I'm not coming off as doing so. I just think that you should take a little more time to do some research before you start accusing people of things that you only assume to be true.

[Edit] Alright, after reading your edit, it seems that you think people are getting mad at your hack, and only your hack. Though I haven't read the entire thread, I have a feeling that your attitude towards constructive criticism might be part of why people are getting fed up with you. Some of these people are trying to help you, and give you advice. But if you just ignore them and pretend that their comments don't exist, then people begin to get mad.

There is no assuming. Agastya claims he's still working on his hack and "still perfecting" when really it's buried and hasn't been touched in two years say the most. No one you name even has a beta but Bela, and Sk3 has a game but no beta not even an Alpha. I call it a finished game because it is, if there are bugs I missed I fix em. End of story.

Look ROM hacking is for my enjoyment (and everyone else's) and I created DR GAMES for fun and enjoyment. Not for competition, but to know there are people who have smiles on they faces when they play.

What people fail to realize is: no matter who the person is, how they act, or what they game is like. People will play the games because they enjoy it. It's people who take ROM HACKING seriously that make hacking not fun. Just saying.

Rhetco

i dunno man
Years
There is no assuming. Agastya claims he's still working on his hack and "still perfecting" when really it's buried and hasn't been touched in two years say the most.

Well, whatever you say. I tried being reasonable, and tried seeing things from both sides to make it fair, but oh well.

I'm tired and probably going to bed soon, so I'll just let other people work with what I've managed to get out of you.

...But as one last shot at trying to reason with you, I think that even if you are just doing this as a hobby, it doesn't change the fact that you have made your hobby public to the world. If you make things public, then the public expects quality. Not everyone will like everything you make, the same way that you don't like everything that everyone else makes. But I'm going to stop trying now, because I know that you aren't listening to me, and I'm sure that most of this is caused by some sort of ego-complex that you can't really control, and were just born with or whatever.

'night

Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2021
But, isn't Dark Rising supposed to be finished? "Finished" would imply that you are satisfied with the final product, and are no longer working on it. But if you are still fixing the game, then doesn't that mean that it isn't finished, like you insist it is?

Firstly, as a gamer, I feel as though I have very good reasons for what I'm going to say.
Buggy finished game? I think you should look at Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II. That's one of the buggy games ever, and is finished.
But then there are modders who fixed a lot of the bugs... Though that isn't really the point. The point of that, from a dev's point of view, bugs or not, a game can be considered finished. Some bugs can be really minor, and get missed. That can happen with major bugs as well. In fact, it has. With many games. Seriously, if you think a buggy game isn't a finished game, nobody will take you seriously...

Personally, I think both sides in this were unreasonably butthurt.
In the first place, you really shouldn't be using sarcasm in a review, because it will cause misunderstandings, and will make you seem unnecessarily harsh. While I'm inclined to agree that DRG did overreact a bit, I also believe everyone else did too.

Years
While the most recent posts are still somewhat hostile, I'm going to allow them because they are actually discussing things (to some extent) rather than ridiculing/all out being sarcastic and rude.

Now, I'm going to weigh in, and then that'll be the end of it, and people can go back to posting problems they may be having with the hack, DarkRisingGirl can go back to fixing bugs, and everyone in general can go back to being civil.

Firstly, Doesn'tKnowHowToPlay: You're in every right to post a review you made- it's 100% fair to bring problems to the hacker's attention, since they present their project to the public. Being completely honest, I probably would have raised the exact same points, as I remember them exactly from when I played this hack. But it's unreasonable for you to present it the way you did. You're a total stranger to most of the people here (at least in this thread), and (without putting a spin on this) waltzing in and making a pretty sarcastic post linking to an ABSOLUTELY sarcastic and negative review, is just plain not cool. I will say this: the points that you raise about the hack are justified, but stating them the way you did is not.

I've swung by that forum a couple times and have seen the discussion about some hacks that have been popular here. As already established, generally the members tend to laugh, ridicule and criticise, relatively ruthlessly. Again, I actually agreed with the points you make about the hack, but if you came to stir something up (and the manner in which you posted could suggest this, to be honest), then you're better off not posting at all, frankly.

DarkRisingGirl: in your later posts, you state that hacking is a hobby, not a profession. You're absolutely right. However, when you post something for the public to see, you're giving people the right to criticise your work, and seeing as the internet is.. the internet, that criticism will not always be constructive. Dealing with it the way you did was just... Ugh. And I read your posts- I'm aware you were just trying to get under the skin of those people (by posting awards again and again) while acknowledging their comments about bugs- yeah, don't do that. That's immature, and to be honest it's just dumb. Just quietly and civilly acknowledge the points they make, and move on with it.

I'm going to quote the user above me:
In the first place, you really shouldn't be using sarcasm in a review, because it will cause misunderstandings, and will make you seem unnecessarily harsh. While I'm inclined to agree that DRG did overreact a bit, I also believe everyone else did too.

So that's it, show's over, thanks for coming. Let's, maybe, listen to what DrFuji said,
(The next person to post anything remotely disrespectful to another member here will be infracted. Fair warning.), and get back to posting (politely and constructively) about the hack. Should posts continue to be hostile, immature, stupid or all of the above, the thread will be closed as well as infractions being handed out. By all means, if there's something I've said that someone disagrees with, then feel free to take it up with me in VMs, but not here.

Last edited:

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
i really don't get all the hostility on drg i like the hack she work hard on to be complete and hope the comments good and bad doesn't make her quit the thing she love to do.
Well, every player of a hack has right to present a criticism and since people on internet are like gira said... people on the internet, with anonymity and all, it's very easy for them to present criticism this way =)
I, as probably one of a few, actually read all those 10 pages on the presented thread and while I did not like the way it was presented (some parts were really funny, though), almost everything DNKHTP presented was truly a bug/glitch/mistake.
For the first time, someone revealed that legendaries had OP BS boosts which I did not even realized o.O
I repeat, the way it was presented wasn't nice but the criticism was on spot.
It depends on DNKHTP's reason to do it.
If he does those reviews just to discredit the hacks, make fun of them and present a way of amusement to that forum's users, it's wrong.
If he does them to show the bugs, he should go for a different approach.

there's a egg along with a unusable spot in pc box 3 in the pokecenter and 3 unusable spots in box 2

is that a bug or is it normal?
It's a bad egg. It's pretty normal for Fire Red hacks.

DJCherryTempo

The Reserved Observer
Years
Then go for Attack EV training first and Sp.Att as soon as possible after finishing.
The only way I can really benefit from that is by hacking the Fire Red ROM and making it so Salamence retains Rock Head cause God knows I'd never be able to beat this hack any other way. I just wish there were more Dragon moves or even the P/S Split in this hack.

AshKetchumisnumber1

Pokémon Master
Years

Well, every player of a hack has right to present a criticism and since people on internet are like gira said... people on the internet, with anonymity and all, it's very easy for them to present criticism this way =)
I, as probably one of a few, actually read all those 10 pages on the presented thread and while I did not like the way it was presented (some parts were really funny, though), almost everything DNKHTP presented was truly a bug/glitch/mistake.
For the first time, someone revealed that legendaries had OP BS boosts which I did not even realized o.O
I repeat, the way it was presented wasn't nice but the criticism was on spot.
It depends on DNKHTP's reason to do it.
If he does those reviews just to discredit the hacks, make fun of them and present a way of amusement to that forum's users, it's wrong.
If he does them to show the bugs, he should go for a different approach.

It's a bad egg. It's pretty normal for Fire Red hacks.

hm ok thanks for the info ash493

Back