• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Legendaries in your team?

Perico

Ripper
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 12, 2022
Some people just can't help it, they need their favourite legendaries in their team so as soon as they catch them, they start training them. But others just catch them to fill the Pokédex and leave them in a box.

Personally, I catch them and leave them in a box. I have to say that before DPPt, I often used them in my team and leveled them up to 100 but now, I see them as rare and valuable Pokémon (in fact it's what legendaries are) so I just keep them untouched (I do the same with Pokémon events, even if they're ordinary Pokémon like a Magmortar).

So what do you often do?

Infernova

Simple Philosopher
Years
I often only keep one on my team; usualy the main legendary in the game. I used to love fighting people and when they would faint my infernape, I would bring out dialga and ebliterate the rest of their team with roar of time or draco meteor.

Fire Flyy

metaphysical poet
Years
I only use them if my team isn't balanced and I need another body in there to help beat the Pokemon league, I think I did this in HG, LG, and Diamond :]!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I usually keep the box legendary Pokemon on my team, but Emerald was an exception because Rayquaza's level was so high before doing the Sootopolis Gym that I had a hard time catching it.

Years
  • Seen Oct 12, 2020
I only keep them in my team when I play casually, usually the version mascot. Even in Emerald where I had such an overpowered legendary. It helped me a lot running through the Pokemon League.

Sirfetch’d

I hate training with legendaries. One reason is when you get to them your team is probably already shaping up. They are also caught on such a high level it is harder to train them like you want and get used to them.

Pokemon Trainer UV

Attractively foolish
Years
I don't really feel right with legendary Pokemon.. they're already naturally powerful and at high stats, so you'll reach their limits much faster. Meanwhile, your ordinary Pokemon grew along with you and went through many hardships to gain their strengths. It's just much easier to bond with normal Pokemon..

Years
I sometimes use Legendaries but they hardly become part of my regular team.

However, I did use Reshiram when I played Black near the end of the main story. Mine got a good nature too (Modest).

Years
I rarely use legendary Pokemon as a part of my team, as it almost seems like an unfair advantage to be using them. On occassion, I might have one as my 5th or 6th party member on my first Elite Four run, but it's more for insurance than anything.

FrozenInfernoZX

What is out there?
Years
I don't use legends because it makes the game much easier. Also the AI is not the challenging to begin with. I broke this rule when I played Pokemon Flora Sky though, lol.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
When I was younger, I used legendary Pokemon more often because they tended to be higher levels than the Pokemon I trained, so they replaced them in a way. Newer, faster, and stronger. But nowadays I throw them in the box and leave them there.

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
Years
I don't use them, legendaries or events, I had to use my Dialga to finish the Elite four in Diamond but mainly, because I never even had a team. Kept using all my Pokemon. So i prefer to just use my team and the other few that are required, like Wailord and Relicanth in Emerald. I prefer my legendaries untouched, for ev and trade ability reasons.

Years
I don't really tend to have legendaries in my team, as they make the game way too easy. For example, in Pokemon Emerald, the feature of being able to catch Rayquaza before the 8th gym battle makes the Elite 4 challenge a breeze.

PokemonMasters

Always Remember Forever&After
Years
Only to beat the Elite 4. I dont really like using legendaries cause you dont get to pick their moves. You just get them at a high level and their moves are sometimes useless or only have 5pp. But in Emerald Rayquaza made the game easier xD

Years
Unless I have to use it (Like in White and Black when you fight N) I wont.

Not a fan of using them, the only time there are in my party is when I catch them and they get put there.

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
Years
Using the uber legendaries, which all mascots are, to me feels the same as if you traded over a trained Garchomp around the last gym...

The casual legends like the birds/beasts/golems/spirits/musketeers.. are not as extreme.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
If I want to use them, then I will. lol I don't load my team with them, but sometimes I just feel like using a certain legendary, like Victini or Latios, and I mean...who cares if I wanna use them? I don't feel like they make the game as easy as people claim they do. I used Victini my first time through White and it didn't make it any easier, honestly. I've used Kyogre and Groudon plenty of times before in their respective games, and I don't think it broke the game. Now, Rayquaza in Emerald is something that makes the game too easy, honestly haha. So if you wanna rag on someone for using a legendary on their team, do it when they use that level 70 Rayquaza in Emerald. ;)

Years
Generally, no. I only had some in my very first run through yellow and Lugia in my Silver edition once, because Lugia is just cool. It has been some years since then, though.

Now they get caught and boxed. I would feel like I'm cheating and personally I think that legendaries are overused. Everyone who wants to brag has a team of legendaries. I prefer to kick some a** with my regular team.

Back