• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sports The Football Discussion Thread!

Years
Van Wolfswinkel should help Norwich get on to the next level in the Premiership.

A couple more players like him should mean they're looking up at the Europa places rather than down at relegation in a few years.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
As a Lithuanian, qualification for the World Cup would be amazing in itself. We do have a slight chance but that relies on smaller teams losing and us winning all of our remaining fixtures, maybe we can draw one.

It's a big ask, considering Lithuania have only won 1 game and that was against Liechtenstein.

Looking at the qualifications, in the AFC, I really hope Jordan makes it. Lebanon is also a big ask, because it's their first time in the 4th round of qualifying. In the CAF, I'd like to see Egypt make it too, and hopefully do better in the finals. in the CONCACAF, Panama is doing very well, like to see them in it too. In the CONMEBOL, I'm very surprised Uruguay is in the bottom half of the table. In the OFC, has to be New Zealand. and finally, in the UEFA, I want to see Croatia through, and in Group E, This will be interesting because there are 3 countries that have never been in the finals, so I hope they make it. Go Iceland, Albania, and Cyprus. :D

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
only seen rvw play once and he scored a hattie. the braga defence and awful downpour did do him some favours though. his record all be it in holland and portugal l is pretty good, hoping he'll be our michu.

last summer was obviously about fixing the defence, a few thrashings aside he's done that. some attacking additions really should see us looking up. would be hard to take pilkington, snoddy, hoolahan and johnson out of the midfield, if tettey recaptures some of that early form he'd be hard to drop also. i guess dropping one of the defensive midfielders, at least whilst playing at home would work.

lots of rumours about a dutch kid joining. marco van ginkel iirc. haven't watched the dutch league in 7 or 8 years so obviously don't know how likely this is.

tough time for your lot right now it seems, to be in the top 10 after that last few months sure is something though. any optimism for next season?

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
Champions League quarterfinals are over. Barca, Real Madrid, Bayern and Borussia are in the semi finals. Those semifinal will be really exciting!

Years
I can't say I've heard of Van Ginkel personally, but I'm sure Hughton and his team know what they're doing. Anyway, teams like Norwich and Swansea doing well just goes to show stability is infinitely more important than 'quality' sometimes, if you compare their cases to QPR you get what I mean.

It's a bit of an odd situation at the moment, some want the manager out but many don't because he's a club legend, if he wasn't he'd definitely have been out by now. Next season he'll have to work to cut our wages even more and save some money for the new finance rules, but on the plus side the players we need to sell to get some money are Emnes & Williams who are both absolutely terrible so I'll be happy if we raise some cash from them. As always in the Championship, anything could happen, but I think we've missed our good chances to go up in these past two seasons and we're going to have to wait a while now.

Bayern vs Dortmund & Madrid vs Barca would be a mouthwatering draw.

Last edited:

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
he's 20, an important player for vitesse arnhem and has a full cap to his name. apparently linked to everton as well as norwich now.

stability is certainly the way forward. qpr are crazy and deserve everything they get. i wonder which mug chairman will hire 'arry next.

the championship is indeed impossible to call. wolves and blackburn, jeez.

hoping for an all german final tbh.

Years
I don't know what happened to Wolves, but Blackburn is pretty understandable. Especially when reading things like this.

The fact that Blackburn or Wolves could either be relegated or even finish in the top half gives an idea of how ridiculously close the Championship is this year.

I'm not sure if you've read about the call for a minute of silence for Margaret Thatcher's death, but that seems like a terrible idea. I would personally uphold it, but I'm sure boos would ring around the Riverside and various other grounds in Britain if they went through with it.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
Ugh, they're having a minute's silence for that? I've no real opinion towards the whole thing but that's just... no. When we apparently can't even have a minute's silence for Hillsborough I really imagine something so controversial just bombing and pissing a whole load of people off. It's unrelated to football and not something everyone can agree on; leave it out, imo.

Years
Minute silences are becoming a bit of a ridiculous honour anyway, we're finding increasing amount of things to dedicate a minute of silence for and few relate to football anymore.

As it stands, some rugby teams are holding a silence and the Wigan & Reading chairman both believe there should be one in English football, but no clubs are obligated to hold one. It makes no sense really considering the difference in opinion of her and since her decisions relating to football tended to be poor.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
>Dickson Etuhu is understood to earn £30,000 per week
li liked him but no way near as much as that. good for him though. haha.

looks like cardiff are finally going to make the step up. always liked them more than swanselona.

boos would ring around a fair few grounds and a mins applause is out of the question. don't think it'll happen, or should happen.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
Thatcher just seems a very hot topic to be avoiding right now, haha. And no way in hell do I want political views brought into football any more than they (arguably) already are. To acknowledge the minute's silence would be to mourn her death for those against her and I just can't see that happening. Way too risky and honestly, pointless a move in football.

Nuke said:
Minute silences are becoming a bit of a ridiculous honour anyway, we're finding increasing amount of things to dedicate a minute of silence for and few relate to football anymore.

Indeed. I mean, if it's related to football (such as Hillsborough or in memory of a player/manager/whoever) then by all means do it when and where is relevant but leave it at that. Football's got history which we should definitely be embracing but there's no need at all to be dragging in external stuff. We do just fine without it.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
away from football there are very few people i'd be for giving a moments silence for at a football game. maybe only david attenborough, actually.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
I really, really, really hope there isn't another clásico in the semis. I'm so horribly tired of them :( I'd rather have two Germany VS Spain draws and specially hope one of each gets kicked out on the way. As annoying as a semi would be, I don't think I would be able to survive a Madrid - Barça final.

Also if Borussia makes it to the final, I'm hoping for a Bayern 1999 ending for them.

Years
I suppose I'm not too bothered about who draws who as long as Barcelona don't reach the final.

I can't deal with another final of boredom and I definitely don't want to see them win again.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
I'd like Bayern to win. I think they deserve their damn 5th cup, specially after their last 15 years :\

Seriously, losing a final in a shootout and another one with two injury time goals is not nice.

Rest

Showstealer Pro: Trial Version
Years
That Dortmund - Malaga match was crazy. I was supporting Dortmund and those goals at the end made my dad and I scream and howl.

I'm hoping Dortmund wins the whole thing, and I'm also hoping for an all-German finals, though I have a mind to think Barcelona will advance instead.

Years
Bayern will beat Barca, but then lose to Dortmund. I think that Jurgen Klopp knows that Dortmund need to establish themselves as a big team, and other teams need to be wary of them. Dormund can beat Real, the home leg at Dortmund will take it out of Real, but there is that chance Mourinho will mess with Klopp's mind. All in all, the tie could go anyway as it stands, but I think the more likely is Dortmund. Then we go to the Bayern tie with Barca; Bayern will be eager to win the Champions League after getting to the final then being knocked out on quite a few occasions. The league is no more a worry for Bayern, they can rest players and just focus now on Barca. Tito Vilanova won't be able to handle the pressure when it comes down to it imo, he doesn't have the mind to be able to make very quick decisions in these sort of circumstances. We saw that Messi changes Barca, not saying they're a one man team, but I reckon if Bayern can handle Messi they should have the tie under control. Barca's defense hasn't been amazing recently, and Bayern's attack has. A lot of goals is what we should see over the 2 legs.

Years
If Bayern & Dortmund win it'll be a great advertisement for the Bundesliga. Most people who watch the Bundesliga will argue it's up there with the Premiership and La Liga, but it's denied by the majority, this year's Champions League may just prove them right.

Anyway I think Bayern are the best team to face Barca so I'm happy with the draw.

Back