• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 2, 2021
1st Update Pokemon Black Dark Challenge
Spoiler:

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
Years
Ultimate Fire Monotype Challenge
Game: Y
Badges: 2

After rejecting Charmander at the professor's lab in Lumiose City, I went on to more quiet surroundings - the big city never really did it for me, anyway. Much to my dismay, though, Camphrier Town was super boring, so I left there and went to the Parfum Palace with that little girl who doesn't shut up. We chased a Furfrou around a garden, until its owner showed up and thanked us for catching Pokémon for him. He then put up a display of fireworks for me and the girl, and the girl got all giddy and weird. 2/10, would not watch fireworks with again.
Anyway, I got someone to trade me a level 1 Houndour from their X version, as Houndour is exclusive to Pokémon X. But not before I made it all the way to Ambrette Town and went looking for fossils in Glittering Cave. After grinding Houndour up a bit, it evolved! And then I moved on to Cyllage City, where before challenging the Gym Leader, I went ahead and caught myself an Eevee, evolved it straight away with a Fire Stone I found somewhere outside Glittering Cave, trained it up a bit and headed for the Gym.

The Gym itself was tough, as I don't have a lot of coverage yet. And I'm not sure I'll have great coverage against Rock-types, even by the end of this challenge. We did make it to the Gym Leader, though, where Flareon and Braixen saved my ass and won us that badge.

Here's my team so far:
Spoiler:

Years
Update on my Ultimate Ground Monotype challenge through FireRed, this will be pretty short.

-Trained Rhyhorn from 25 to 46, evolved into Rhydon.
-Cleared routes 15, 14, 13 and the southern half of route 12.
-Got Surf and Strength
-Challenged Koga, besides the fact half of his gym is in fact Psychic and he throws Toxic around a lot, the battle went smoothly. It was quite an intoxicating battle.

Team

Spoiler:

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
Years
I'm here to reclaim my Ultimate Ice Monotype Championship! I beat Y today and here's the final update. Sorry for the bad quality photos, they were taken with my phone.

Challenge
Spoiler:
Badges
50px-Bug_Badge.png
50px-Cliff_Badge.png
50px-Rumble_Badge.png
50px-Plant_Badge.png
50px-Voltage_Badge.png
50px-Fairy_Badge.png
50px-Psychic_Badge.png
50px-Iceberg_Badge.png

Hall of Fame
Spoiler:
Final Team
Spoiler:
8SKOCLt.jpg
I beat AZ as well of course, I just forgot to take a picture though.

Last edited:
Years
A pretty long update on my ground monotype challenge through Firered

-Cleared routes 19 and 20
-Beat the Fighting Dojo with my mighty Pokemon of dirt.
-Entered Silph Co. and saved the day, battled my rival and giovanni, won both battles no problem.
-Battled Sabrina and won, was an easy fight due to her paper thin defenses on some Pokemon. I guess she didn't see me winning.
-Cleared route 21
-Reached Cinnabar, cleared the Pokemon Mansion (that music is creepy) and got the key which Blaine lovingly hid deep in here. Thanks Blaine, really.
Challenged Blaine, had some difficulty with intimidating and his ninetales, but afterwards I managed to persevere and win. He's the one who needs a burn heal now.
-Gets accosted by Bill and dragged off to one island.

Team

Spoiler:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Ultimate Bug Monotype Challenge: Silberne Edition
6/16

Beat both Chuck and Jasmine. Chuck was easy, Jasmine considerably more difficult than I have ever had against her. I did manage to save the fight though. Gonna take a break from this one. Want to finish up my White Version 2 ASAP.

Team:
Spoiler:

Speaking of which...

Ultimate Steel Monotype Challenge: White Version 2
6/8

Defeated Skyla, and evolved some of my team. Too tired to think of more.

Team:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Ultimate Steel Monotype Challenge: White Version 2
7/8

I fought Drayden last night. I surprisingly didn't have a whole lot of trouble with him. I was even more surprised when my Klang was able to beat his Haxorus.

Team:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 2, 2021
Ultimate Dark Monotype Challenge: Black Version
5/8
Spoiler:

Jumpleet

Rise Above The Rest
Years
Forum User Name: Jumpleet
Pokémon Type: Water
Challenge Type: Ultimate
Games: LeafGreenHeartgold, Emerald, Platinum, Black 2, Y
Previous Progress: No

Bob III

Person
Years
Forum User Name: Bob III
Pokémon Type: Flying
Challenge Type: Single
Game(s): FireRed
Previous Progress: Not done any of this, but did Water and Dragon through Gen V on the old thread

Bob III

Person
Years
Firered Flying Monotype

Named all of my Pokemon after Japanese Battles

Updates:
Spoiler:

Team:
Spoiler:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Updated through Post #114. Hooray!

The Ultimate Steel Monotype Challenge: White Version 2
8/8

I made it to Humilau, and defeated Marlon, the Gym Leader with the strangest name. I actually only barely pulled it off with only one member of my team left by the end, and it had only 5 HP. And was burnt. But I did it! But I still have a ways to go before the Elite 4. I have to defeat Team Plasma next.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
Final update: Dark monotype SS

After days of grinding, whining, and short hiatus, I finally made it past Red. Luke suggested Protect and I was like, TIME TO DOWN PILLS so it was over to Goldenrod I went. I had to take out Red's Pikachu with Tyranitar since none of my other 'mon would be able to OHKO it (believe me, it was badly needed). Next was Blastoise sent out. I found out the hard way earlier that it carried Focus Blast, which badly marred my earlier Red runs. So this time I was fully stocked with X-items. Out went Crawdawnt and he started popping a lot of X. Sp Def. That let me stall out his Focus Blast and I was able to take advantage of his ineffective attacks to boost up Crawdawnt as much as I could before Blastoise was KO'd by Sandstorm. At that point, it was a sweep and nothing left to say other than I HATE RED!

Final team:
Spoiler:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
The Ultimate Steel Monotype Challenge: White Version 2
8/8 + Ghetsis

I defeated White Kyurem and Ghetsis just a moment ago. Whote Kyurem was pretty easy, since my team is super effective to it. Ghetsis on the other hand, was a real pain in my arse. Seismitoad and Eelektross proved the toughest opponents of the battle, asn I was really lacking in moves that would be effective to them.

I'm on my way to the E4 now. Not gonna post my team for this one. Final team will come at the end of the challenge.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
Poison Monotype - FireRed

Last stop of the day was Victory Road and the E4. I had a wee bit of trouble getting through Victory Road because I forgot to stock up on healing items. Barely had enough to get through. Phew! I didn't have any trouble with the E4 until I reached Blue because the bugger had two psychic types on him. I had to spend a number of revives on Nidoking so that I could take out both Alakazam and Exeggutor with Megahorn. Smooth sailing the rest of the way!

Final team:
Spoiler:

MachoPony

Resident Brony
Years
Alright then

Name: Pokemonfreek24
Type: Ultimate
poke Type: Bug
Games: Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, Black 2, X

havent made much progress in X honestly just never got round to playing it i think i'm at Aquathingy city with the fossil lab

Team: LV 22 Vivillion LV 21 Butterfree LV 20 Venipede LV 18 Dwebble

Also pretty sure i was a Gen 5 Champ with Psychic JS

Last edited:

Porygon Z

721 and counting!
Years
Update #1 - Gym Badges: 6

Basically, I'm on the way to Twist Mountain, got Surf, and trained the team in places such as Routes 17 and 18, Wellspring Cave and Mistralton Cave, where I also caught Cobalion with some RNG (needed for my X competitive team).

Team

Watchog, Lv. 38 @ Quick Claw ~ Strength, Thunder Wave, Crunch, Hypnosis
Stoutland, Lv. 38 @ Scope Lens ~ Return, Dig, Thunder Fang, Crunch
Unfezant, Lv. 38 @ Amulet Coin ~ Fly, Return, Toxic, Quick Attack
Audino, Lv. 38 @ Rocky Helmet ~ Return, Dig, Charge Beam, Surf
Cinccino, Lv. 38 @ Silk Scarf ~ Return, Dig, Wake-Up Slap, Tail Slap
Sawsbuck, Lv. 38 @ Miracle Seed ~ Return, Horn Leech, Jump Kick, Megahorn

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
Here's the final update on my Electric monotype in Emerald!
After deleting Team Magma and Aqua at their respective hideouts, I made my way to Mossdeep City. In order to battle the twins I decided to go catch a Plusle (that would invariably faint) so Manectric could solo against the Tate and Liza. The battle was pretty difficult, having to strategize with two against one. After getting the 7th badge from them, I was finally able to dive so I went underwater and caught my second and final team member, Chinchou! I spent the next while training it up to Manectric's level (25 levels!), evolving it along the way. Once that was over, I moved along with the story, defeating Team Aqua at Seafloor Cavern. I then was able to awaken Rayquaza, which allowed me to finally take on Juan, who was no match for my electric types! I then quickly traveled through Victory Road, defeating Wally along the way. Once I made it to the Elite Four, I adjusted some movesets and went straight into battle! Lanturn's Ice Beam primarily dealt with Sydney and, later, Drake, while Manectric's Thunderbolt took care of Phoebe and Glacia. To defeat Wallace, Manectric took care of pretty much everyone and Lanturn took care of Manectric's problems, namely Whiscash! And with that, FIN!

Team
310.png
Manectric / Lv. 60 / Bite, Thunderbolt, Thunder, Return
171.png
Lanturn / Lv. 59 / Surf, Ice Beam, Spark, Confuse Ray

Type:
electric.gif

✔Pokemon Yellow Version
025.png
082.png
135.png

✔Pokemon Silver Version
181.png
082.png
171.png
125.png

✔Pokemon Emerald Version
310.png
171.png

Pokemon ?? Version
Pokemon ?? Version
Pokémon ?? Version

MachoPony

Resident Brony
Years
Pokemon X Bugmono Update
so i decided to finish this damn thing and i'm starting now.

Spoiler:

CURRENT TEAM
Spoiler:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back