• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Protagonist & Rival relationship.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
The rival is absolutely adorable looking and his hair speaks so many words in terms of good fashion sense. His jacket and everything are just so cool. Honestly, I have to say he is the coolest rival ever, outclassing that of Brendan; one of which I thought would never be topped for me. (that hat owo~)

Anyway, I think he's an unrelated kid to the protagonists. I'm thinking that he's somehow related to the Professor, just for a toss up in the family trees, and has heard of the protagonists around the city and when the day comes that they can take a journey, he confronts the protagonist.

so kawaii~

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
The rival is absolutely adorable looking and his hair speaks so many words in terms of good fashion sense. His jacket and everything are just so cool. Honestly, I have to say he is the coolest rival ever, outclassing that of Brendan; one of which I thought would never be topped for me. (that hat owo~)

Anyway, I think he's an unrelated kid to the protagonists. I'm thinking that he's somehow related to the Professor, just for a toss up in the family trees, and has heard of the protagonists around the city and when the day comes that they can take a journey, he confronts the protagonist.

so kawaii~
It's been confirmed that he was the protagonist's childhood friend. Him being related to the proffesor would bring back so many memories...

He is quite cool looking, even more so than Blue and Silver...

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022

It's been confirmed that he was the protagonist's childhood friend. Him being related to the proffesor would bring back so many memories...

He is quite cool looking, even more so than Blue and Silver...

Like Giovanni and Silver?
I kind of hope this isn't one of those types of scenarios, but if it is, I definitely don't want it to be that Akuroma is the father. I want him to be an older brother, at most.

Though it would be neat if they had some sort of relationship between the two, family or friends and such. That would only make me more suspicious of the rival, though. Which is ok. I still love him. <3333

Years
Like Giovanni and Silver?
I kind of hope this isn't one of those types of scenarios, but if it is, I definitely don't want it to be that Akuroma is the father. I want him to be an older brother, at most.

Though it would be neat if they had some sort of relationship between the two, family or friends and such. That would only make me more suspicious of the rival, though. Which is ok. I still love him. <3333
That would make the Rival seem so much like Silver and N...
Maybe he's a friend of the prof's who is fooled into misleading the Main character away from the evil groups activities...then he teams up with the player after find out he's been used as a pawn.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but maybe there will finally be a rival that sticks with you most of the game? I'd feel happier, knowing that my true friends weren't only Pokemon, tbh.

So battle at basically every town or something? Or meet up at every town? Might kinda get a bit repetitive though :( I think there is a good thing in not seeing the rival that often. XD;

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016

So battle at basically every town or something? Or meet up at every town? Might kinda get a bit repetitive though :( I think there is a good thing in not seeing the rival that often. XD;
I'm not too sure about most of the time, and through a lot of the journey through Unova. He doesn't exactly look like he'd want to, he still has that smugness about him if you ask me. I'd quite like it if it were in set events occasionally throughout the game. Sort of like how you team up with Cheryl, Riley, Mira, Buck and Marley in D/P. I'd actually quite like to see a bunch of more trainers in B2/W2 like them, I found it quite fun.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
He could leave after we arrive in a town, and arrive in the following one to challenge us, then we go together again and so on. I can also see him teaming up with us like Steven and Barry did against the antagonists.
Part of me is also hoping that their is a second rival we have yet to see...like Wally did, except she doesn't steal the whole spot light of the first rival.
SHE.
SHE.

Lol-face-meme.jpg

I think it would be nice for us to meet our rivals a lot more than at random points in the games! Like the anime but not throughout our entire adventure. To see him and battle him at least more than we usually get to with the previous rivals, would be cool.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022

I think it would be nice for us to meet our rivals a lot more than at random points in the games! Like the anime but not throughout our entire adventure. To see him and battle him at least more than we usually get to with the previous rivals, would be cool.

I want this. Especially at that movie theater place. That would be awesome. It'd feel more like a rival if he were to participate in big events like a tournament or something (if they even have those in this game) or Contests or something similar to that, rather than some kid who just challenges me to a battle every time he gets a shiny brooch from a guy in a wet suit surrounded by lilypads.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I like the random encounters though and wouldn't want to lose that, because it makes sense. Not like the rival will know where you are every step of the way, so when you do meet up it's just by chance and random, which is what I think the random encounters are trying to portray. I like the idea of him participating in the non-training stuff in the region too though, even if it's only done once or twice.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
Right. He has to have a small case of the Gary Oak Syndrome, but not after every single gym battle or right before every single cave. But the idea of him taking place in things that don't concern training or the such just, idk, makes it seem more real, to me.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Although we have to question whether or not that matches with his personality. It would have made sense to see Bianca in the musicals, but considering his expression and his "I'm going to rage" motto, will he be the type of person to compete in things outside of training just for fun?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
Hmm. Muy bien point there. If his personality is that he's better than us at everything, I could see him doing it to try and prove that point. However, now that I take his motto into consideration, idk. I HOPE HE DOES, THOUGH. Still, he could very well scoff at the protagonist for participating in such things.

Lancelot-sama!

i call it bipolar game fandom.
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 1, 2018
To make it short, I'd say the rival would be a character you really wouldn't want as your enemy, but you'd definitely want him as your good friend.

I felt he was kinda of a mix of two types of rivals we've seen before, which was either "your faithful and kind childhood friend" or the "mean and cold kid on the block." He can be capable of being very aggressive and violent, but at the same he can be your man to count on. As for his 'slogan' I don't really thinks he means to throw himself into a rage fit, but maybe he's trying to say something like "I'm getting fired/pumped up!". I can imagine him being hot-blooded guy, and perhaps even protective as he has a younger sister.

I think the sister factor kind of rules him out as being a complete jerk or anti-social guy like Silver, but then again we still know very little about him too. I'm sure he values his younger sibling, even going out of the way of walking with her until he met up with the protagonist. In fact, we even saw him tag along with our main playable character around the town. We don't know why he does, but it must mean he enjoys the player's company.

In the video we couldn't really see where the battle started, when, or how, but I can guess that it began once they've reached lookout place perhaps? Maybe the reason he followed you was because, kind of like tagging with Jun/Barry to Lake Verity, you were expected to take him to that place. Maybe a battle was arranged at the lookout beforehand? Probably. That or he suddenly thought to have the battle at the lookout because maybe he wanted to have the first battle at a 'memorable' place. I know it's just me thinking like that, but I kind of like that thought.

.... Of course I can be completely wrong lol!

Who knows, guess we have to wait, but I feel as though I rambled a bit too much.

Last edited:

Years
Maybe the battle began after getting their starter like how Bianca and Cheren did, only they decide to go outside instead of battling in the lab, or house so that they won't destroy it (BW call back).
I agree that the Rival proably isn't all that antisocial, perhaps he simply likes to fight for fun...

Livewire_

Knight of Three
Years
He has that confident, cocky swagger look to him. So he'll probably be like Gary/Blue.

I like him already!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
^Ain't it great? Even in my theme he has the whole "Wtf you want?" look to him.
I'm starting to think that he is that cocky little bugger that everyone wants to hit but still loves him anyway.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I think the sister factor kind of rules him out as being a complete jerk or anti-social guy like Silver, but then again we still know very little about him too. I'm sure he values his younger sibling, even going out of the way of walking with her until he met up with the protagonist. In fact, we even saw him tag along with our main playable character around the town. We don't know why he does, but it must mean he enjoys the player's company.

Not necessarily, he could be putting on a facade for her because of some... deep family reason and as a result he really is that way to everyone else except her. ;x PLUS out of the home town he no longer would have to... impress anyone so he could be himself?

Years

Not necessarily, he could be putting on a facade for her because of some... deep family reason and as a result he really is that way to everyone else except her. ;x PLUS out of the home town he no longer would have to... impress anyone so he could be himself?

Or MAYBE he does the jerky things that he does BECAUSE of her. For some weird reason (and assuming he is a jerk in the first place).

I dunno, I've seen it before, so it could happen >_>

Back