• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

The DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource [COMPLETED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Thanks! That batch of sprites is looking fantastic, I particularly like Gyarados and Machamp.
Great work getting those front sprites in.

I've just done Lairon and Glalie. Glalie I resized to the same ratio as Froslass which I believe
was 89%, whereas Lairon I resized to 91%. The DPPTHGSS sprites were all 53x45, whereas
Lairon in BW became 58x49 so I shrunk it back to what it was in Gen 4. The poses are pretty
similar so it may look like the Gen 4 sprites, but there are a few key differences, mainly the feet
and spines, and of course shading!

Spoiler:

I'll try redoing Cradily and Armaldo again. Though I'm sure that the Armaldo I'd already done
aligns with the Armaldo from the master sheet when resized to 88%.
Glalie and Lairon are accepted. As for your original Armaldo, idk its just the style of how you resized it just made it look small, and it might also be because we're all using different programs.

omg Haunter and Gengar EEEEEEEEEE

Anyway, I will attempt Quagsire's backsprite at some point. Just not now, I'm too lazy xD

p37poyF.png
It looks to me like you forgot to clean up the top-left part of Wooper's head, it doesn't look like a smooth line.

I love the sprites. Hey, I have a question, if you don't mind. Why do you use the official art and not the palette of the original sprite? Do you want to keep the legitimacy of the Pokémon?
Because a lot of the palettes for the Gen I and II Pokemon are really off, because some of them have been using the same colors all the way since Ruby/Sapphire, before Ken Sugimori updated the artwork. It's just not right how the Gen III (B/W sprites), IV, and V Pokemon matched their Sugimori artwork very closely, yet the Gen I and II sprites are still horribly off. It's also inconsistent, since if most of the Gen III, IV, and V Pokemon match their Sugimori colors spot-on, shouldn't the Gen I and II Pokemon match as well?

Just look at this:
6aek.png

If I recolor a Pokemon, I don't just take the colors straight from the official art, because then the colors would look desaturated. Pokemon sprites are vibrant and colorful, so what I do is, I take the colors from the official art, then I saturate them to look more vibrant and sprite-ready, and then I recolor it. These are basically what the colors would have been had they designed these sprites in the same process that they designed the sprites for the Gen IV and V Pokemon (and the Gen III sprites in B/W).

Also in Pokemon X & Y, all of the textures from the models are taken from the official Sugimori artwork, meaning that the official art are the true colors of the Pokemon, since in X & Y, every single Pokemon will look exactly like its official art.

Last edited:

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
Oops. I can't believe I forgot about that lol. Here, this should be better.

kpgHX6L.png

Archeops

Pixel artist and hack player
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
Again, very great work on the sprites, everyone. Project's coming along really nicely.

Telinc1

Weirdo Extraordinaire
Years
I know this is my first post, but hey. Anyway, seeing as Articuno is one of my favourite Pokémon, I decided to try it. This still is a work in progress and there still are some things I don't like, for example the eye in the back sprite, but the body is one or two pixels short of the R/S sprite and pretty much everything is cleaned up. Making the eye red as in the DS back sprite makes Articuno look tired. These sprites still are a work in progress, but if Chaos Rush likes them, he can add them to the list. I would enjoy feedback on these so I know what to fix and what to keep in mind next time I make a sprite, which will probably be Zapdos.

(also, completely off-topic question, but can we use the available sprites in our own hacks, provided that credit is given?)

Years
  • Seen Jul 22, 2019
Wow....the new Kanto pokemon you added are amazing. I don't know if it's just me, but some of them look like your art style used in DarkViolet opposed to just resized sprites. kudos. :D

Also, for your list of accepted and yet to be added, I'm not sure if you decided later on that my Sentret sprites weren't good enough or that you simply missed it because I don't see it on the list. I say this because I'm just trying to remind you in case you missed it :)

EDIT: i'm not sure if I missed it or what, but Sentret is on the list now lol.

Last edited:
Years
(also, completely off-topic question, but can we use the available sprites in our own hacks, provided that credit is given?)

Yes, anyone is allowed to use these sprites in their hacks.:) If they couldn't, this entire project would be pointless!
(and i know i'm not Chaos, but I'm answering your question anyway cuz this question has been answered countless times already in this thread)

Dragonflye

Author of Pokémon Sovereign of the Skies
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Hello Guys! I will also help.

My First Sprite:
arkanic8jbz.png

I Make also the secound EM Sprite. ;)

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
Years
I've done Aron's Back and both Aggron sprites to finish that family.

Spoiler:

I'm using Vista's Paint, and I resized the Armaldo from the master sheet to 88%
and it aligns 100% with the one I did before, so I imagine I'll get a similar result
when I tidy it up. I've touched the Armaldo I did before next to the master sheet
Armaldo to get it as close as possible to the original sprite.

Spoiler:

I'm touching up the Cradily sprite, mainly the tentacles which you mentioned
earlier and the smoothness of the head. I'll update this post once it's done.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Dragonflye

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Here 4 Sprites:
absolhqxuy.png

armaldo0rlzg.png

barschwahzyov.png

mamutelhpbtg.png
Credits to Chaos Rush and Easy.

Dragonflye

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Where is the problem, I mean I just want to help and even when I'm at it I do everything. I do not do things by halves. : P

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
dragonflye, it's great that you're eager to help, but Chaos will probably not accept your sprites for these reasons.

1.) He doesn't want the shiny sprites
2.) He doesn't want them in sheet format because he still has to edit the sprites to fix any mistakes and it's easier to edit and then c/p each edited sprite and then change the palette than to edit every single sprite over and over again
3.) He doesn't want the backsprites recolored by anyone but himself because it takes less time to do it himself than it does to correct everyone else's mistakes.

Even if you don't do things in halves, you kind of have to if you want to contribute to this project, because that's how Chaos runs things. And trust me, Chaos is very strict about the rules for this project and enforces them very extensively.

Also, he doesn't want second frames, and why did you do Mamoswine? Gen IV has been finished for over a year - it was literally the first gen finished. Mamoswine was done a long time ago.

Okay, moving on. I really tried on Quagsire, but the spines and the purple marking are not as curvy as I'd like. I have no idea how to fix it because shrunken Quagsire is very vertically challenged and can't contain the right amount of pixels to make it curvy. You're good with this stuff so if you can fix it, that'd be awesome. Everything else about it went smoothly, although I now despise this creature.

XQqCKcY.png

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Hello Guys! I will also help.

My First Sprite:
arkanic8jbz.png

I Make also the secound EM Sprite. ;)
It's really obvious that you didn't read the Helping Guidelines at all, which is a requirement in order to make a submission. There's a link to the Guidelines in the first post, and also in my signature. Also the Arcanine sprite you're using doesn't match the one from the Master Sheet, another sign that you didn't read the guidelines at all.

These are easy to do, except for Suicune. :P

ppFKPBG.png
8PkQzXH.png
jHmVc2q.png
yXcJGFU.png
pIjG87D.png
All of the backsprites are accepted. I'm not accepting the Suicune front sprite not because it looks bad, but because I have a rule of certain "counterpart Pokemon" all having to be resized at the same ratio, so preferably if you do Suicune, you should also do Entei and Raikou's front and make sure they're all resized at the same rate to preserve size relativity. For instance, all my Eeveelutions were resized at 90%. All my Rotom forms were resized at the same ratio (but I don't remember what percentage lol).

I've done Aron's Back and both Aggron sprites to finish that family.

Spoiler:

I'm using Vista's Paint, and I resized the Armaldo from the master sheet to 88%
and it aligns 100% with the one I did before, so I imagine I'll get a similar result
when I tidy it up. I've touched the Armaldo I did before next to the master sheet
Armaldo to get it as close as possible to the original sprite.

Spoiler:

I'm touching up the Cradily sprite, mainly the tentacles which you mentioned
earlier and the smoothness of the head. I'll update this post once it's done.

Spoiler:
Aron and Aggron sprites accepted.

However, you didn't fix the smoothness thing I was talking about with Cradily. To me it just looks very blatantly missed:
16jhc2v.png

For me, this is just something very basic, as I hate jaggy outlines. I know it's very easy to fix and I should probably just accept it and fix it myself, but I've been noticing that your sprites in general are improving, so it's just better to let you work on it and improve more lol

Here 4 Sprites:
absolhqxuy.png

armaldo0rlzg.png

barschwahzyov.png

mamutelhpbtg.png
Credits to Chaos Rush and Easy.
Sorry but it's clear that you didn't read the guidelines. Here is the problem:
*I don't want shiny sprites, because I tend to edit people's submissions because no sprite is 100% perfect, so its useless for you to make shiny sprites when I'm going to have to make a new one anyway.
*I just want front and back. I said this very clearly in the guidelines.
*I am not doing 2nd frames.

Also Mamoswine was finished over a year ago...

Where is the problem, I mean I just want to help and even when I'm at it I do everything. I do not do things by halves. : P
Doesn't matter, if I follow my own guidelines strictly, so should you guys.

Okay, moving on. I really tried on Quagsire, but the spines and the purple marking are not as curvy as I'd like. I have no idea how to fix it because shrunken Quagsire is very vertically challenged and can't contain the right amount of pixels to make it curvy. You're good with this stuff so if you can fix it, that'd be awesome. Everything else about it went smoothly, although I now despise this creature.

XQqCKcY.png
Accepted, no worries. EDIT: Also, forgot to mention, your Wooper backsprite is accepted too.

If you guys don't mind, please give me some time to convert your submissions into sheets. All of your submissions are wonderful, and has definitely helped pick up the pace of this project. I know this sounds a bit selfish, but I would like to progress on my ROM hack a little more, hence why I've been doing a lot of Kanto sprites on my own. I will eventually get to sheet-ifying your guys' submissions, just give me some time :)

Last edited:

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
Years
However, you didn't fix the smoothness thing I was talking about with Cradily. To me it just looks very blatantly missed:
16jhc2v.png

For me, this is just something very basic, as I hate jaggy outlines. I know it's very easy to fix and I should probably just accept it and fix it myself, but I've been noticing that your sprites in general are improving, so it's just better to let you work on it and improve more lol

Yeah I'm not sure why that happened. That was literally the first thing I went to fix on the sprite. I must have fixed it on the old sprite and then overwrote it?

Anyway I'm just updating that now.

Spoiler:

Falsever

Nation Blue
Years
I've done these minutes ago. :3

apUjVYN.png
RRUH5wh.png

Also, I'll try to redo Suicune and do its counterparts, resize them into the same ratio.

Archeops

Pixel artist and hack player
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
Hey, Chaos, could you please credit me for the new Archeops backsprite? Thanks in advance!

Dragonflye

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
I hope thats ok...

arkanij7p6x.png

PS: Sorry that I did not really have before observed the rules.

What I'm wondering is, why do not you do the 2nd Frame? Ok, there are indeed many sprites, but I think if the Forum tackles gehts faster, because not all hack fire red or ruby.

It's just my opinion. ^ ^

LCCoolJ95

Limited Capacity
Years
What I'm wondering is, why do not you do the 2nd Frame?
It's just my opinion. ^ ^
Let's think about it. There are about...700 sprites being done, with inclusion of the back sprites would be a good...1400 sprites. My number may be off by a lot, but this is just an estimation. That would require making another 1400 sprites, making it an estimation of 2800 sprites being made. That's without the shiny sprites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back