• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Competitive Team Questions (and Incomplete Team Help)

11wildy

Me!
Years
If you were the one using Abomasnow, just let me say this: Abomasnow can't just be thrown on to any ordinary team, as its Snow Warning ability hinders any non-Ice Pokémon by chipping off their HP little by little by summoning Hail. Rather, Abomasnow should only be used on a team revolving around Hail.

You're right about the not on ordinary team thing, not about hail team only. Abomasnow cancels out other weather, and it is a good counter to rain/sand teams in general. If you don't battle a weather team, both players are hindered by hail so that's still not a disadvantage.

WolfMirage

"Last Raven"
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 23, 2016
do u think i drop hitmonchan in favor of Cloyster, cause cloyster can also learn rapid spin

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
do u think i drop hitmonchan in favor of Cloyster, cause cloyster can also learn rapid spin

You can use it to spin but it really works best as a Sweeper, and the spin set is dedicated, whereas Starmie can work as both a sweeper and a spinner all at once with Surf/Thunderbolt/Ice Beam and Rapid Spin.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years

Donphan or Starmie are better Rapid Spinners than Cloyster, since Cloyster's defensive typing is rather bad. Both Donphan and Starmie also are offensive threats. But Cloyster is still a viable Rapid Spinner because of its ability to check Multiscale Dragonite with Icicle Spear; however, it needs a special wall/sponge to help cover for its bad Special Defense.

Here are a couple possible sets for Donphan and Starmie, should you choose them as your spinners:
Donphan:
-Earthquake
-Rapid Spin
-Stealth Rock/Head Smash/Stone Edge
-Ice Shard
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy

Starmie:
-Hydro Pump/Surf
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Rapid Spin
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Ability: Natural Cure

or
-Scald
-Psyshock/Ice Beam
-Rapid Spin
-Recover
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP/4 SAtk/252 Spe
Ability: Natural Cure

WolfMirage

"Last Raven"
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 23, 2016
then ill go with Donphan, cause i was thinkng of adding Cloyster to my team, as gastrogon isnt weak to eletricly, so it wont make to bad of a double weakness

so dose Donphan learn rapid spin or is that an egg move

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
then ill go with Donphan, cause i was thinkng of adding Cloyster to my team, as gastrogon isnt weak to eletricly, so it wont make to bad of a double weakness

so dose Donphan learn rapid spin or is that an egg move

It's a level-up move; Donphan learns it at level 6. But considering that Phanpy evolves into Donphan at level 25, and thus making it impossible for a level 6 Donphan to happen, you'll have to go to the Move Relearner in-game and have Donphan relearn Rapid Spin. To let you know, Head Smash and Ice Shard are two of Donphan's egg moves.

WolfMirage

"Last Raven"
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 23, 2016
so dose Donphan learn rapid spin or is that an egg move. im asking cause according to marriland guide, Phanpy dosnt learn rapid and Phanpy evoles at lv.25 and Donphan learns it at lv.6

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
so dose Donphan learn rapid spin or is that an egg move. im asking cause according to marriland guide, Phanpy dosnt learn rapid and Phanpy evoles at lv.25 and Donphan learns it at lv.6

Donphan does, so you'll need to visit a move relearner as PlatDude explained. They only use a Heart Scale iirc and they'll give you Rapid Spin on it which is the only way to do it.

Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2014
help with my competetive rotom?

hey im not exactly sure what my rotom's learnset should be.. im stuck between to
a "trick" rotom
or a "pain split" rotom.

anyway my rotom is a modest nature with an EV spread as the following
252spA
120HP
136spe

first set the "pain split" set!

thunderbolt
overheat
will-o-wisp
pain split

now the trick set
trick
voltswitch
overheat
? (my hidden power is not grass)

id have to change the EV spread for the trick set to 252spa 252speed 4 spD but its not that big of a deal seeing as hes only level27. the TRICK set im worried about getting OHKO by something faster then me. and the pain split set i like but am sceptical because ive never used any sets like the two i have presented before.. feedback/ advice please! thank you

~Cyanide

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
hey im not exactly sure what my rotom's learnset should be.. im stuck between to
a "trick" rotom
or a "pain split" rotom.

anyway my rotom is a modest nature with an EV spread as the following
252spA
120HP
136spe

first set the "pain split" set!

thunderbolt
overheat
will-o-wisp
pain split

now the trick set
trick
voltswitch
overheat
? (my hidden power is not grass)

id have to change the EV spread for the trick set to 252spa 252speed 4 spD but its not that big of a deal seeing as hes only level27. the TRICK set im worried about getting OHKO by something faster then me. and the pain split set i like but am sceptical because ive never used any sets like the two i have presented before.. feedback/ advice please! thank you

~Cyanide

Well, your choice will depend on a few factors. Like, what items do you plan on using? Trick Rotom-H functions best with a Timid nature and Choice Scarf / Specs. So you wouldn't necessarily need to worry about being outpaced by another Pokemon.

But this decision comes down to how Rotom-H will compliment your team. If your team is more balanced, Pain Split Rotom-H will serve you better, being bulkier with semi-reliable recovery and the ability to inflict status. However, if your team is more offense oriented and needs a good offensive pivot, Trick Rotom-H with Choice Scarf / Specs will make a strong revenge killer and makes better use of Overheat than Pain Split Rotom-H.

WolfMirage

"Last Raven"
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 23, 2016
just wondering if seaking can be competitive with it lighting rod abitilty or is the poke just good for in game teams only

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
just wondering if seaking can be competitive with it lighting rod abitilty or is the poke just good for in game teams only

Yeah not really. It's not even really used in NU, which is the lowest there is other than LC/NFE. It's attack stat is okay but its speed is quite low in comparison to the rest of NU and even its Special Attack isn't really that exciting, and there's not really many viable moves to choose from either. Plus electric types aren't that difficult to defeat, so it doesn't have that many selling points.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
Help me "create" my teams please!

Hi everyone!
So I guess this is a somewhat different thread than the usual ones you see in here.
I have already beaten the Elite Four and completed the game, well most of it, and now I'm working on creating my Competitive teams. I'm a "perfection" maniac, so I have been thinking about this for a long time, what Pokemon to use and what not. I have already chosen the Pokemon I want to use, but I need your help on deciding which Pokemon to put in a certain team with which other Pokemon.
Here's my list:
-Serperior
-Leafeon
-Haxorus
-Dragonite
-Garchomp
-Probopass
-Chansey
-Umbreon
-Espeon
-Weavile
-Glaceon
-Eelektross
-Gardevoir
-Mamoswine
-Abomasnow
-Braviary
-Togekiss
-Gallade
-Cyndaquil
-Darmanitan
-Tyranitar
-Feraligatr
-Gengar
-Vanilluxe
-Zoroark
-Cranidos
-Scizor
-Mienshao
-Volcarona
-Aggron

There is a total of 30 Pokemon, so that means 5 teams,which will be changed depending on the person I'll play with. I don't want to create type-only teams (such as only fire types, etc.), but I want to spread the Pokemon wisely instead.
I know this is a hard work, but I am patient, you don't have to write all the EV spreads and nature of each Pokemon, just spread them on different teams based on what you think.
I would appreciate any reply :)!
Thanks.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
Espeon/Leafeon/Jolteon with Curse?

Hi everyone.
So I'm building my competitive teams now, and it'll be 5 different teams, three of them will have either Espeon, Jolteon or Leafeon. I'm planning to use all three but on different teams.
All three of them will have the egg moves Wish and Curse, and I badly want one of them with the Curse move. Which one do you suggest? I was thinking of Leafeon, but I really don't know...
Thanks.

Volcanix769

Known as the Quilava Guy!
Years
Don't give either one of them Curse. Jolteon is best for Special Attack and Speed. Its Attack stat is very low and I highly suggest letting it learn strong Special Attacks. Same for Espeon, but give it either Calm Mind or Light Screen/Reflect. Give Leafeon Swords Dance, it's best to give it that since it's strong and it's that strong and defensive. Giving all of them Curse will ruin their capabilites in terms of Jolteon's and Espeon's swift speed and Special Attack/Special Defense. Leafeon needs to attack that fast since it has 5 weaknesses that it needs to counter and defeat. Focus on what they're strong for and what they should be doing to be a good team. And don't give them Wish as well, only those that are walls need them, like Vaporeon and Umbreon.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
Don't give either one of them Curse. Jolteon is best for Special Attack and Speed. Its Attack stat is very low and I highly suggest letting it learn strong Special Attacks. Same for Espeon, but give it either Calm Mind or Light Screen/Reflect. Give Leafeon Swords Dance, it's best to give it that since it's strong and it's that strong and defensive. Giving all of them Curse will ruin their capabilites in terms of Jolteon's and Espeon's swift speed and Special Attack/Special Defense. Leafeon needs to attack that fast since it has 5 weaknesses that it needs to counter and defeat. Focus on what they're strong for and what they should be doing to be a good team. And don't give them Wish as well, only those that are walls need them, like Vaporeon and Umbreon.

Oh I see, I really liked that move... I don't have any Pokemon that can learn it :/.. What if instead of the Jolteon I make an Umbreon/Vaporeon and teach it Wish and Curse, will that work? What moveset would you suggest?
For Leafeon I was thinking this:
-Leaf Blade
-Protect/Protect
-Curse
-Wish

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Last edited:

Volcanix769

Known as the Quilava Guy!
Years
Oh I see, I really liked that move... I don't have any Pokemon that can learn it :/.. What if instead of the Jolteon I make an Umbreon and teach it Wish and Curse, will that work? What moveset would you suggest?
For Leafeon I was thinking this:
-Leaf Blade
-Substitute
-Curse
-Wish

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Leafeon should have this:

-Swords Dance
-Leaf Blade
-Substitute/Roar
-X-Scissor/Return/Iron Tail

Yes Umbreon would work, since it fits it. And here what it should have:

-Curse
-Wish
-Payback/Foul Play
-Roar/Toxic

And like I said, give it to the ones that fit it. Wait, don't give Vaporeon Curse, since it'll slow it down, Umbreon's the best idea for that.

Back