• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Dimensions in Space?

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Another popular theme theory that I wanted to bring good light and good attention to in this thread is the possible theme of dimensions. I mean look - it can also be a great possibility that this pokemon game was named after the fact that pokemon is now in a 3DS game console now. Which makes sense, given on how 3D games correspond with a X, Y, and Z axis:

xyz-1.gif

While this can be relatively straight forward, I have to wonder; could there be something more here? If the whole naming of these games came from the 3D axis approach, could that potentially mean something more for the 6th gen pokemon world? I mean, bear with me for a sec - could there be potential motifs, themes, and lessons learned that can correspond with the new 3D style approach?

Usually, dimensions correspond with mathematics. There is also a more physical definition, where there is beliefs of a possible "4th" dimension, in where physical theories that incorporate time, such as general relativity, are said to work in 4-dimensional "spacetime". But still... I imagine that even with a clearer definition of dimensions, or with a general understanding with other possible dimensions across time and space, it might still be tricky to implement it to a pokemon world plot. (I'm even scratching my head around this!) But... maybe there can be some ideas? Maybe this can be incorporated into some sort of... space / universe / dimension theme?

For example, one theory that I've came across, is that, since dimensions are also relative to space and the universe, could the region in this game be possibly be in another universe? I mean look - there's a sign that this region could be isolated, due to the 'route 3' sign from the trailer. that could be interesting! Well, then again, just because a region can be isolated, doesn't mean... it's at another part of the universe (XD).

Buuut, even though that might be the case, another theory that I've came across is that, could there be a possibility that the characters in the game, will find out about the other 'dimensions' of the pokeuniverse? Though, I have no idea how that could work into a plot... Could it be like D/P/Pl? I mean, time is referred as the forth dimension, in which Dialga is the diety of time. Could this game's possible space-dimension plot be related to pokemon diamond and pearl's plot?

Hm... okay, I admit, this is hard to warp my head around.. xD Even I don't fully understand how dimensions or how... quantum mechanics work, but still, could dimensions play a role anyway? Could this gen be heading toward that direction, or is that really, really unlikely? I mean, yes, keep in mind that I do understand that these games can be -just- be named after the 3D axis space, and nothing more, and that people, including myself, are leaning more towards the whole chromosomes theme, or a possible Norse mythology of X and Y, but, even if that's not the case, and that people believe that these games were named after the 3D axis space, could that be more of a potential theme in these games?

Last edited:
Years
I would hope that they'd come up with good motifs and ideas that revolve around this axis.

One idea, not related to your space-time ideas, is that three dimensions could mean that the conflict in this story has three sides instead of the usual 2-sided Team Evil vs. the good guys. Moving into a third dimension is similar to "thinking outside the box" or "choosing a third path" so perhaps we will see new things that we've taken for granted in previous games.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I would hope that they'd come up with good motifs and ideas that revolve around this axis.

One idea, not related to your space-time ideas, is that three dimensions could mean that the conflict in this story has three sides instead of the usual 2-sided Team Evil vs. the good guys. Moving into a third dimension is similar to "thinking outside the box" or "choosing a third path" so perhaps we will see new things that we've taken for granted in previous games.

Ah, a third path, huh? That'd be cool; would that perhaps, be sort of a 'choose your own path that satisfy you' kind of thing? Hm, there could be like, another alternate ending besides the whole champion path.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Oh Lord, you're pushing math on me. Haha. I do think this is possible, however I'm hoping this isn't the case. A story revolving around dimensions sounds nice in practice, but I'm afraid of how it might turn out...like...idk, it just might come out complicated? But I'm legitimately that bad at math, so trying to understand the dimension thing is just djsafrjesohds to me.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Hm... I'm kind of thinking that Pokémon X and Pokémon Y would be about the dimensions in regards to width, height and depth. Then maybe after you've finished the game, you might be able to encounter Dialga, Palkia and Giratina? That would be cool.

But I'm also thinking that the stereoscopic 3D approach towards the new Pokémon games is a perfect opportunity to put in some features that take advantage of the mathematics of X, Y and Z in Axis (in other words, the dimensions of width, height and depth). But yeah, some motifs and themes that are about the dimensions would be excellent to have, and would definitely give a great storyline to the whole game, and probably would make you want to continue into the post game where more big events regarding dimensions would occur.

Years
  • Seen Sep 26, 2013
Hmm i dont know, but maybe it would be an idea to have some sort of pokemon which, due to the 3d, looks really odd? I dunno...

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
I think this is much, MUCH more likely than any of the other speculations. The most significant single feature of this generation of games is that they're the first main series games to be rendered in three dimensions. The three dimensions are represented mathematically by axes, which are labeled X, Y and (inevitable third game) Z.

Really - this is as close to slap-you-in-the-face obvious as groundless speculation can get.

Though it should be noted that it is, nonetheless, groundless. But then, so are all the rest of the speculations about the significance of the names, and at least this one has the benefit of being simple, straightforward, and well within the grasp of the target audience.

Spoiler:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
The dimension thing can work. Perhaps the legends can have their own realm like in Norse mythology which has the 9 realms. Also GF did it in Pt with Distortion World and it worked fine imo.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Hm... I'm kind of thinking that Pokémon X and Pokémon Y would be about the dimensions in regards to width, height and depth.

Yeah that would be quit interesting actually; in fact, it reminds me of, another theory about dimension's relation to Pokemon X and Y I've come across; not sure if anyone has heard this before:

I've heard two main theories flying around about the origin/idea for Xerneas and Yveltal.

The first one is that they represent a geometrical dimension (or axis). Xerneas is said to represent the X axis because it lives on the ground and basically owns the dimension of length/width. Yveltal is said to represent the Y axis because its domain is the sky and rules the dimension of height. If there were to be a Pokemon Z, it is said that it would have the formation of a "Z" and rule underwater or underground to represent the dimension of depth.
It does look promising; I've had a similar theory that in a chart axis, usually 'Y' is dependent on 'X', so, maybe in a way, Yveltal is dependant on Xerneas? Maybe vice versa? Maybe they both depend on each other? Then again, the ground and sky... more or less contradict each other than depend on each other, so, maybe my theory isn't quiiite sound, but it's still in the air~

I think this is much, MUCH more likely than any of the other speculations. The most significant single feature of this generation of games is that they're the first main series games to be rendered in three dimensions. The three dimensions are represented mathematically by axes, which are labeled X, Y and (inevitable third game) Z.

Really - this is as close to slap-you-in-the-face obvious as groundless speculation can get.

Though it should be noted that it is, nonetheless, groundless. But then, so are all the rest of the speculations about the significance of the names, and at least this one has the benefit of being simple, straightforward, and well within the grasp of the target audience.

Spoiler:

Yeah, this theme is pretty straight forward for everyone! But still, I wouldn't say that older players like us aren't the target audience - GF wants to target both younger and older players, so, I do agree that this possible x and y axis theme can be understandable, they could still add just a little fundamental aspect. I mean, DNA has been mentioned in the D/P/Pl games, maybe just a brief overview, but, I'd say that it was fair explanation that tied with the pokemon world made it easier to understand for younger players.

Just a thought~

Back