• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Lorem Ipsum - The Language Club!

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
Lol I'll try to get in there when I get my **** together :p I do look forward to that fateful day though.

Also, as for something to discuss, how do you use SAT words (meaning "smart-sounding") in everyday speech, writing, etc., or do you just reserve them for formal occasions?
Club is dead. :(

I guess for me I don't really use SAT words in every day speech that often unless I'm trying to sound smart in front of someone. xD
Used mostly in formal situations.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
I'm joining! ^^

I speak French and English, both relatively well. I'm better in French though since I've been learning since my wee childhood.
I never actually used tools.

droomph

weeb
Years
Weeeee someone's here and alive! Welcome!

and omg i found out about this and idek but it's so weird it's like i'm actually committed to learning this language

Club is dead. :(

yep :( not much I can do about it, though. seems like people just aren't that interested in languages lol

Last edited:

Melinda

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
Weeeee someone's here and alive! Welcome!

and omg i found out about this and idek but it's so weird it's like i'm actually committed to learning this language

yep :( not much I can do about it, though. seems like people just aren't that interested in languages lol
Oh that seems interesting. My sister is learning German, so I'm going tell her to try that.
There were a few people and then everyone just disappeared. D:

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
Years
I had German in my first two years of Secondary School, and only got low marks.
I can understand Germans when reading or listening for the most of the time, but I can't write nor speak it myself.

Speaking of German, this was the best part of German lessons at School:

Melinda

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
みんなはどこですか? 私の所に来て下さい! 私は貴方がいなくて寂しい!

Melinda

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
I'm going to learn German starting next semester, I'll be wishing good luck on myself and hope I don't get my ass kicked.
German! Good luck!
I tried to learn a bit from my sister-in-law, but my god.
I think I should just stick to Asian languages. I couldn't pronounce anything.

Melinda

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
Duolingo es muy bien para Español. El único problema es que no tiene muchos idiomas. Yo recomendar. :D

holy crap I actually wrote that right!
Woot!
I wish Duolingo had Korean/Japanese. D:
I wonder if they plan on adding more languages.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
I'm going to learn German starting next semester, I'll be wishing good luck on myself and hope I don't get my ass kicked.
Viel Glück! :)
German! Good luck!
I tried to learn a bit from my sister-in-law, but my god.
I think I should just stick to Asian languages. I couldn't pronounce anything.
German is a real mess. Well it helps if you know a little bit of English, since both languages derived from the same language family, but it gets complicated as soon as you have to deal with all of these (mostly stupid) exceptions the language has. In fact many germans seem to have problems using their own language properly because of all the exceptions. Well, no, some of them don't even get the basics done xD

Also maybe it's just me, but every time I notice someone mixing up different languages I'd like to punch him in the face. I know they want to sound cool and other languages are always cooler than the one you grew up with, but is it really necessary to put words like "kawaii" into a sentence that doesn't consist of japanese words?

--
Well, since I took the time to post I might as well join. My native language is German and I also like English really much. I also studied Latin in school for six years (even though I guess I've already forgotten most of the stuff; haven't used it in ages xD). Depending on if computers and stuff like Java, C++, etc. also count I could easily append my list of languages but I guess that would get a little too far xD

My tool of choice is practice or to be more precise: I like watching videos (Let's Plays and stuff). It's difficult at first but you get used to it and if there's a word I don't understand I simply google it xD
Also if I really want to get into a language (mostly programming languages) the internet has a large amount of tutorials, so there's no specific source or tool; at least for me

Melinda

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
Viel Glück! :)

German is a real mess. Well it helps if you know a little bit of English, since both languages derived from the same language family, but it gets complicated as soon as you have to deal with all of these (mostly stupid) exceptions the language has. In fact many germans seem to have problems using their own language properly because of all the exceptions. Well, no, some of them don't even get the basics done xD

Also maybe it's just me, but every time I notice someone mixing up different languages I'd like to punch him in the face. I know they want to sound cool and other languages are always cooler than the one you grew up with, but is it really necessary to put words like "kawaii" into a sentence that doesn't consist of japanese words?

--
Well, since I took the time to post I might as well join. My native language is German and I also like English really much. I also studied Latin in school for six years (even though I guess I've already forgotten most of the stuff; haven't used it in ages xD). Depending on if computers and stuff like Java, C++, etc. also count I could easily append my list of languages but I guess that would get a little too far xD

My tool of choice is practice or to be more precise: I like watching videos (Let's Plays and stuff). It's difficult at first but you get used to it and if there's a word I don't understand I simply google it xD
Also if I really want to get into a language (mostly programming languages) the internet has a large amount of tutorials, so there's no specific source or tool; at least for me
Welcome to the club!
It bothers me some times, but I mean I do it myself some times too. xD
It really bothers me when it's really excessive like always adding -chan to the end of everyone's name. Is that really necessary? Or the over use of baka. I can't even begin......

Anyway, I already gave up on German. x] My brain can not compute learning too many languages at the same time.

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
Years
Well, since I took the time to post I might as well join. My native language is German and I also like English really much.

A German who likes English?
I didn't see that one coming.

I mean, I've been in Germany multiple times (my most recent visits there are at Gamescom, as it's not really far away), and of what I've seen there, every single time, is that people first talk in German to me, when I say I don't understand them in English or Dutch, they either apologise me and try to do their best speaking English, or they continue speaking German to me.
The latest one was at the Hotel "Drei Kronen" in Altstadt, Cologne.
It's been owned by 3 old sheilas, the only language they know, is German (they even went to the Hotel next to us, to ask their Manager (an Italian) to Translate our convro).

Melinda

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
Yes, they are. Apparently Japanese is going to be one of the first. Personally I'm waiting for Russian. :P
Really??
Does it say when they will be adding them?

/veryexcited!!!!!

Catalyst.

Nothing of significance
Years
Really??
Does it say when they will be adding them?

/veryexcited!!!!!

They are being crowdsourced starting in December. They don't give any concrete dates, but most people agree that since Japanese seems to be one of the most popular, it will probably be done by February. Russian on the other hand will probably take much longer. /foreveralone

Melinda

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
Do they have a list of languages they plan on doing?

Catalyst.

Nothing of significance
Years
's being crowdsourced, so whatever languages gather enough interest from the community, but the ones that are definitely getting done are Japanese, Mandarin, Russian, and Korean, in that order. Currently they're mainly working on English for natives of languages they already have, work on others for English natives starts in December as I mentioned above. Sorry I can't give you any really useful info. :(

Melinda

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
's being crowdsourced, so whatever languages gather enough interest from the community, but the ones that are definitely getting done are Japanese, Mandarin, Russian, and Korean, in that order. Currently they're mainly working on English for natives of languages they already have, work on others for English natives starts in December as I mentioned above. Sorry I can't give you any really useful info. :(
That info is plenty useful. Thank you.
Japanese, Mandarin, and Korean are the ones I'll be using once they are out. :D
Thinking about learning Russian as well. I have nieces and nephews who are half Russian, so I'd like to be able to speak to them in Russian.
How hard is it in your opinion?

Back