• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other Tutorial] Resizing any images using Xnview!

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
Step 1: Install Xnview!
Get Xnview, it's completely free, and support tons of image formats, and has many useful functions.
http://www.xnview.com/

Installing it is quick and simple, and really a no-brainer, so get that done to continue.
Step 2: Locating the source image
359zpf6.jpg
Here, I have my sprite for Red from Pokémon Fire Red, which is one of two images that I'll be converting for this tutorial. You can use more images, XNview has no limit on how many images it will let you process. But before we move into Xnview, there's sometinhg I want to get out there that a lot of people don't seem to know that will really help your game in the long run by heavily reducing filesize:
Step 2.5: (Optional)
Spoiler:

Step 3: Locate your base image in XNview
The folder explorer in XNview really works just like Windows Explorer, so finding your image shouldn't be a problem.The key difference is an image preview on the bottom right. Here's what you'll be seeing:
Spoiler:

Once you've found the folder with the image(s), proceed to step 4.
Step 4: Selecting the images
Alright, so you've found your images! But you can only select one at a time? Well, here's a little trick in Windows XP and up you'll find helpful: Select one file in the folder. From there, there are several things you can do:

• If you want to select all the files in to folder, press CTRL and A on your keyboard. Every file will become selected.
  • If you want to select certain files that are not next to eachother, click one image, then find another, hold CTRL, and click on it. You now have two images slected. From there, you can CTRL+Click as many as you want
  • If you want to select files in a queue(Next to eachother in a big line), click the first in order, then find the last image in sequence and hold CTRL + SHIFT, and click on it.
Spoiler:

After you've selected you images, right click and one (And be certain you right click, otherwise you'll have to select them all over again!) and a menu should come up:
Spoiler:
Those are a lot of functions! But right now, Batch Processing is the only one we need. So click the "Batch Processing" option!
Step 5: Preparing to convert the files.
After completing step 4, a windows should come up. Be sure to set the options as I have them for the best results:
Spoiler:

I serious advise you make double sure "Delete original" is not checked. Most good developers keep all the graphical assets for their project in a folder separate from the graphics folder in their game, and there's no point in that if you let the files get deleted anyway! The good news is, if you do forget, XNview sends the deleted base images to the Recycle bin, so you can still save yourself.

By the way, using the "Ask" option on the first tab will possibly pop up messages during the file conversion similar to this:
Spoiler:

You can change it do "Do not ask" if you want, I just have it set that way to avoid any possible mistakes.

Step 6: Resizing!
Click the "Transformations" tab as I have labeled in the picture in step 5. You will see this:
Spoiler:

Yep, you know what to do! Select "Resize" and click add. Do not click Go after doing this, it will not help. First, look at the previously empty right section of the window. You will see some more options. Configure them like this:
Spoiler:

Luckily, this is very straightfoward, isn't it? If you want to do anything differently, it's not hard. Nearest Neighbour filter is ideal for RMXP projects however, as it retains pixelation on the images while upscaling. So, you have everything ready to go? Good! Now, it is time....
Step 7: Hit the "Go" button
2ccrm68.jpg

Derp.

And ya' done!
It might be a good idea to check out the newly created images just in case you've done something wrong. If so, try again, and be very careful of all the details in this tutorial.

This was my first real attempt at a tutorial, so I hope it helps you all! Happy developing.

Back