• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokeDS

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
Just wondering, why are you using DS Game Maker? I think you'd be better off using a basic DS library, such as PAlib or libnds. Although it would probably be harder, you'd have more control and could achieve better results (maybe even 3D).

And I would work on making some kind of map editor for this. The lack of a map editor will mean it will be ridiculously hard to use :\

lx_theo

Game Developer
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 2, 2013
I was just wondering, how feasible would a system that converted RPG Maker Map files into ones on this be?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 4, 2016
DS Game Maker is just a graphical front-end for PaLib. Any script for Palib can work on DSGM. I'm using it to aid me in the placement of sprites, backgrounds, and to be a little more organized :P

As for the feasability of a conversion between RMXP resources and DS resources, scripts would be pretty hard to convert as the Ruby scripts have dependents on Win API's, which of course the DS doesn't have. And the fact that Essentials uses .txt documents to load data doesn't help either, it is much more difficult to do that on the DS due to filesystem restrictions etc.

Rassalon

Epic One
Years
Coudn't you use pictures as maps and, i am sure there is a program that can convert rmxp maps into pictures. So if you can find a program like this (I am really sure there is one) you could use rmxp as a map editor.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 4, 2016
Coudn't you use pictures as maps and, i am sure there is a program that can convert rmxp maps into pictures. So if you can find a program like this (I am really sure there is one) you could use rmxp as a map editor.
I never actually considered that. That is a good idea. There was a way to take a picture of an RMXP map full sized with no grid, but I forgot how >_<

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
Don't use pictures as maps; it will take up too much memory. A tile-based system is the best choice for this. You could look into how RMXP stores its map files, and make a script to convert them from that.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 4, 2016
It doesn't take up too much memory. It is the basis of DS games. All the backgrounds on Pokemon games are pictures, with 3D and 2D sprites placed on them to give the illusion they are maps. Technically a tile based system for say RMXP is just a front end for the user to design the pictures which will be loaded onto the PC, albeit in RMXP it is much more sophisticated bringing in priorities etc.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
I didn't mean RAM, I meant storage (disk space).
And actually, Nintendo's handheld consoles are designed specifically for tile-based display; a tile-based map will be much more efficient than a single large image. Partly because if you use tiles, the DS only has to load the few tiles around the player (on the screen), while if you use a large image, it will have to load the whole thing. I'm not sure on how much memory the DS has, but I'm pretty sure loading 9 1024x1024 images (32 by 32 tiles; the same as D/P) will use up a large chunk of that. And what if we want to make our maps larger?
I know RMXP loads the whole map image at once, but I don't think the DS works the same way...

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 4, 2016
Due to the lack of such features in the homebrew community's librariess (PAlib, ndslib) a tile based system is very complicated albeit feasable. The only problem is the current tile-based maps are completly script dependant, they are not very user-friendly (ie no map editor) you have to define every tile in an array :/ It is much simpler to just load an image onto the RAM (4 MB) and go from there. I agree that large maps will be taxing on the RAM, but when I complete the map connections, that should'nt be a big problem.

Rassalon

Epic One
Years
Just to say you can get ram add on packs that go in the gba port. This could potentialy lighten the load on the ram. So it could be recomended that you have a ram add on pack when you play a game made with pokeds.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 4, 2016
Na, the 4 MB is plenty for you to work with, if Nintendo can run their games on 4 MB of RAM, there is no reason we can't.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
32 by 32 tiles; the same as D/P
Wrong. Diamond and Pearl don't use 32 by 32 tiles.
They aint near that size. They are bigger then the traditional 16 by 16 used by the advanced games, but not 32 by 32 pixels. The characters are only 17/18 pixels in width anyways- and since pokemon uses a grid based system for movement, there is no way that any tiles are 32 by 32.

Fraot

Researcher & Game Developer
Years
They aint near that size. They are bigger then the traditional 16 by 16 used by the advanced games, but not 32 by 32 pixels. The characters are only 17/18 pixels in width anyways- and since pokemon uses a grid based system for movement, there is no way that any tiles are 32 by 32.

Gen 4 games doesn't have tiles, the measures are based on centimeters... well, maybe inches, I don't know what system is used by you, who live on U.S.A.
As you know, the game is on 3d and the tiles maybe a lot more small, but the textures are resized to fit the surfaces. It's a little bit complicated to understand, I think.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023

I didn't mean that the D/P tiles (or grid) were 32x32, I meant that each world map square is 32 by 32 'tiles' (or takes 32 steps to travel across). Anyway, I now realise I was wrong, and the actual map chunks loaded into memory are 16 tiles wide, by 16 tiles tall. D/P textures still use 16x16 tiles; while the OWs have become bigger, the actual textures are still the same. If you stand next to an NPC, then your sprite overlaps theirs.

Alexandre, if you use whole images for maps, then you'll still use up a lot of RAM... 16-color images wouldn't work with the large number of colours used in a tileset, so I'll assume your maps are 256-color images. Therefore, each pixel takes up 1 byte. Assuming a typical map size of 32x32 tiles (or 512x512 pixels), each map would take up 256 KB (512x512 bytes) of memory. Since you have to load the maps surrounding the map your character is standing on too, the typical number of maps in memory will be 3 or 4. That's already 1/4 of the DS's memory used up. If you include a second layer (for treetops, housetops etc), then that doubles to half of the DS's memory. So you've used up half your memory on merely displaying four maps. If you're in a place with more maps near it, such as Hearthome City (you'd have to load 6 32x32 maps at once), or have other things such as weather and particle effects eating up memory (if you decide to use them), and you're probably going to find yourself running out eventually.
If you use tile-based maps, you only have to load a tileset image, which is a few KB at most, and the tilemaps for the on-screen map, which are even smaller. It's a much more efficient method. I think that if you make an attempt to script a tile-based system now, you won't regret it later. Maybe you could try coding something else, such as the battle system, first (to build up your experience)?

Surely you could make an RGSS script to convert RMXP maps into arrays usable by DS Game Maker? The RMXP map format isn't very hard to understand...

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 4, 2016
Surely you could make an RGSS script to convert RMXP maps into arrays usable by DS Game Maker? The RMXP map format isn't very hard to understand...
The problem is I don't know where to start, I have always been an editor, not a from-ground-up scripter. This project was to help me overcome that. I don't have much experience in the .rxdata formats, as it never came up while I was programming for Blue Chrome, and my previous projects. Maybe you could lend a hand in telling me the basics of the I/O with the RMXP data? :p

Years
  • Seen Sep 2, 2010
DS GAME Engene the coolness is killing me *died* must get pokeds*zombie talk* just kittying it is cooooooooooooooooooool

And 4 questione form a emu user
1:Will it have a action replay code systam?*0.0*
2:how much room will it take a Pokemon Platinum.nds file is 128mb
3:will the game making be simalar to the RMXP
4:and the last question will it play online like wifi

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 4, 2016
DS GAME Engene the coolness is killing me *died* must get pokeds*zombie talk* just kittying it is cooooooooooooooooooool

And 4 questione form a emu user
1:Will it have a action replay code systam?*0.0*
2:how much room will it take a Pokemon Platinum.nds file is 128mb
3:will the game making be simalar to the RMXP
4:and the last question will it play online like wifi
1. dunno, probably not.
2. depends on how big the user makes it
3.sort of
4. no

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 4, 2016
2:no limit so i can make a 1 gb pokemon game or 1 Terabyte!!!!!!
No, because
1. The RAM would overload, and explode in your face.
2. MicroSD cards are maximum 16 GB.

I meant that you could make a big Pokemon game. Not an exaggerated one.

Back