• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Deoxys-D Suspect Testing

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Just in case you all haven't heard, Deoxys-D is said to be under suspect testing for smogon on the 21st, which is around tomorrow.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3478726

That's around when a voting thread will be posted.

Now, I just want an honest view of your perspective -- what do you personally think of Deoxys-D in the OU metagame? What about of it being suspect tested? Can it perform under the Uber metagame just as well? Any other thoughts?

Soar

n00b
Years
I don't play much uber, but im sure it can handle its weight in the uber metagame. But personally I dont think there is a reason for it to be banned.

As to my thought of it now, i consider it to be a very counterable mon. When i see a team with Deo-D im not too worried as i just switch into something with taunt to cripple it. Deo is not a very good attacker on the physical/special side and really cant accomplish much while being taunted. I have seen many different variants (Cosmic power, Screen Setter, Hazard Setter, etc...).

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
The ban seems unneeded. It's not a very common Pokemon, and is easily countered. It's set up fodder for anything that's faster/running mental herb and scared of things like CB Tyranitar. I don't think it should be banned because it's good at getting a layer or 2 of hazards up on unprepared teams.

Plus, wouldn't this only hurt offensive weather-less teams, since that's what Deoxys-D is almost always on? Banning it would only make OU that more stale if it shifted those players back into running weather teams.

It's not nearly as broken as Deoxys-S for OU, IMO. Even though Deoxys-S was pretty easy to play around...

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
Just a ONE off post by me.

I feel i should elaborate on why its suspect a bit more, basically the standards Deoxys-D sets are the following.

Set 1.
Max hp / Max speed @ Mental Herb or Rocky Helmet
~ Spikes
~ Taunt
~ Stealth Rock
~ Magic Coat / Night Shade

Set 2.
Max special attack / max speed @ Life Orb
~ Spikes
~ Stealth Rock
~ Hidden Power Fire / Thunder
~ Psycho Boost

Set 3.
Max hp and speed @ Light CLay
~ Reflect
~ Light Screen
~ Taunt
~ Stealth Rock

Set 4.
Max hp and sp.def @ Lefties
~ Spikes
~ Taunt
~ Recover
~ Night Shade

So lets get a few things out of the way.

Taunt is irrelevant against Deoxys-D. You CANNOT Taunt it if you are playing someone competant. All standard sets are faster than every single Taunt user in OU (bar Prankster users but who uses those in OU bar like Sableye and better yet which are even viable ? Dont try and tell me stuff like Leipard is viable in OU....please). Even if you find something retarded enough to BE faster and Taunt Deoxys-D, it either will use Magic Coat to REFLECT your own Taunt back at you, has Mental Herb so it can escape the effects of Taunt or just simply hit you with a Life Orb Psycho Boost. Deoxys-D is essentially guaranteed two layers of hazards if you dont have....basically....CBTar or MB Espeon? Scizor doesnt OHKO so yeahhh.

Which brings me to my next point. How terrible Rapid Spin is and Life Orb Deoxys-D power. If you switch ANY rapid spinner in against this thing Life Orb Psycho Boost/Thunder is a OHKO. Hidden Power Fire is also sometimes present to nail Ferro, Scizor and Forry. If you try and Taunt this set you are gonna get wasted by brute force. For those of you all like "but D-D has bad offenses". No try saying that to a 140 BP (stronger than Draco Meteor) STAB Life Orb boosted move. To put this in perspective, LO Psycho Boost from modest D-D strips around 80% from standard Garchomp who is considered a VERY bulky sweeper. ._. On that same note of Rapid Spin being bad. There really arent many viable users of the move and as i said every spinner in OU is hit SE by LO D-D. Not only that but if your opponent is competent he/she WILL use a ghost to block rapid spin on the same team, its really that simple. Also really try keeping your spinner alive in a game where you are constantly taking Rugged Helmet damage from D-D if they dont have an anti spin. Its really one of the most uphill battles you will ever try and do lol...

Lastly, its unpredictable. Imagine you both lead, knowing your opponent will lead with D-D and you with your CBTar. Now you think to yourself "oh ill just Crunch/PUrsuit for an easy kill whilst he sets up just SR or spikes." Then you get hit with a Reflect. Crunch under Reflect does 75% max to max hp/0def Deoxys-D. Yeah...he will get Dual Screens on your ass and maybe a Terrakion behind those screens with an SD or a Sub or maybe a Garchomp or Cloyster, sounds fun doesnt it ? Scizor fares even worse. On the flip side you could be expecting a dual screener and go to your cute little prankster user/Spinner and get hit with LO Psycho Boost or just be owned by Magic Coat or Mental Herb Taunt whilst he stacks hazards on you.

All the above points combined are why its suspects.

TL;DR if you are using a cosmic power staller set you are doing it wrong. D-D is ALL about hazards and team support and which is why its suspect.

Personally wouldnt mind if it goes. Its a pain to beat even when you know the set. However i do like it as the Defensive Taunt set shuts down CM Reuniclus and other things.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
Weaville is faster than deoxys D and has taunt . it helped me put a stop Deaoxy-D hazard setting . also magic coat is not that comon
Never found one using mental herb . people just use leftovers

Most use Spikes . seismic toss . stealth rock and night shade or recover

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Weaville is faster than deoxys D and has taunt . it helped me put a stop Deaoxy-D hazard setting . also magic coat is not that comon
Never found one using mental herb . people just use leftovers

Most use Spikes . seismic toss . stealth rock and night shade or recover

Using Weavile for that purpose is a waste of a team slot though, even if it DOES Taunt Deo is way too bulky to be KOed by it, and it's going to get KOed itself. Mental Herb is used 10% of the time (looking at usage stats), and Magic Coat is run 25% of the time, it's 5th most common move. You're more than likely going to be dealing with one or the other, so you aren't getting a Taunt up.

Honestly I haven't played OU much with Deo-D, but I do see why people want it gone.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
i use Weaville a lot so its on my team way before the suspect testing

You using it =/= the metagame though. Weavile is used 2.17% on all OU teams, and it's not even a good check to begin with when Deo-D shuts it down offensively and defensively.

Shadow-L

Lonesome Road
Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 9, 2013
I've used Deoxys-D for a long time, in many of my teams, and it's odd to see so much attention thrust upon it after the Deoxys-S ban, although it does make sense why so many people would be attracted to it. Even though it can perform well in both OU and Ubers, I don't think a ban is necessary.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Well, it's official: Deo-D has been banished to Ubers. It doesn't really make much of a difference to me, but it was only voted by a 59% majority, so at least it was relatively close.

Back