• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Masuda Breeding vs. Safari Shiny Rate

Ribbon

The Queen of Shinx
Years
Yesterday a friend told me that I shouldn't bother with Masuda breeding. He says that the Safari rate is the same as Masuda and obviously quicker (due to hatch time vs. wild pokemon encounter time). I would like everyone's opinion on this, since obviously I want to get a Shiny in the lowest amount of time.

Pacifist

Its a Destiny
Years
  • Seen May 25, 2014
Im not really sure about that, its not confirmed that the friend safari shiny rate is the same as the Masuda method, and the friend safari might not even have a higher shiny rate and its just a coincidence that a lot of people are getting shinnies in it, well if you are experienced with the Masuda method i think you should stay with that, if youre not i think that you could try the friend safari

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Um..no Matsuda method has a higher chance of producing a Shiny than a wild encounter unless you do Radar or Fishing Chains. Since you can't do either in the Safari it still has the 1 in 8192. Matsuda Method has two different rates Gen 4's rate was 1/1638 and Gen 5's rate was 1/1365.

If Matsuda's Method passed into Gen 6, those are the two possible rates we're looking at and both are better than finding in the wild.

Also...its been discovered that the Oval Charm is in Gen 6 so there may be a chance that the Shiny Charm is too which stacks with both normal wild encounters and Matsuda Method lowering both to 1/2730 and 1/1024 respectively.

Years
Um..no Matsuda method has a higher chance of producing a Shiny than a wild encounter unless you do Radar or Fishing Chains. Since you can't do either in the Safari it still has the 1 in 8192. Matsuda Method has two different rates Gen 4's rate was 1/1638 and Gen 5's rate was 1/1365.

If Matsuda's Method passed into Gen 6, those are the two possible rates we're looking at and both are better than finding in the wild.

Also...its been discovered that the Oval Charm is in Gen 6 so there may be a chance that the Shiny Charm is too which stacks with both normal wild encounters and Matsuda Method lowering both to 1/2730 and 1/1024 respectively.
How do you know friend safari encounters have a 1/8192 chance for a shiny to appear? None of us know the shiny rate of the friend safari since the game hasn't been hacked yet.

Anyways, I've found one shiny in the friend safari after about three hours of hunting. With the Masuda Method however, I've had no luck at all. I'm currently at 2111 eggs hatched, and no shiny Froakie yet.

Yuuto

Community Helper~
Years
All three of my shinies were from the Friend Safari and I got them all in about 6 hours of a 24 hour period. Haven't really gone hunting since. I tried the Masuda method for a couple of days with no luck. Not sure if this means that Friend Zones are at a higher rate, or that I just have no luck with breeding.

Years
I've encountered hundreds of 'mons in Friend Safari with no Shiny luck. The odds may well have changed, but it's unlikely.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
How do you know friend safari encounters have a 1/8192 chance for a shiny to appear? None of us know the shiny rate of the friend safari since the game hasn't been hacked yet.

Anyways, I've found one shiny in the friend safari after about three hours of hunting. With the Masuda Method however, I've had no luck at all. I'm currently at 2111 eggs hatched, and no shiny Froakie yet.

How do we know its different? Why should we assume its different? It has Pokemon in it to catch with same catch rates as they always have. I've gone through 10 hours of Safari hunting total and have not encountered a single shiny in it. Only Shiny I have found was Honedge while using Magnet Pull Nosepass.

I got the hardest encounter rate catch before any of the easier encounter rate catches (MM Breeding, Chain Fishing (highest chain so far is 70), Radar Chaining (highest chain is 46).

We've got no reason to assume its different since the Safari has only 2 purposes (as stated by the game, guide, and official sources) right now, getting older Pokemon and attaining hidden abilities.

Decimosoma

Free to dream, free to smile
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 13, 2014
Um..no Matsuda method has a higher chance of producing a Shiny than a wild encounter.

I have been breeding for three days for one shiny and still nothing at all. And another two days for a different shiny also nothing at all. While i'm getting around two maybe three shinies in the span of 5-6 hours. That's at least better than wasting my time on Masuda method with 10+ hours on each day.
This method is a lot better for me and less time consuming.

sCam

Killing is a pleasure
Years
  • Age 33
  • ny
  • Seen Dec 18, 2016
but there's only a select few of shinies in the safari. what if I want a shiny pokemon not from there? Also what if I want to pass down a specific nature to my shiny? Friend safari wouldn't allow me to do that. I'd have to get lucky twice to get a shiny, and one with the nature i want.

and if you want to get a shiny in the lowest amount of time, go chain fishing. it's not hard at all.. i got shiny clawitizer in 28 pulls, on my first try.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I have been breeding for three days for one shiny and still nothing at all. And another two days for a different shiny also nothing at all. While i'm getting around two maybe three shinies in the span of 5-6 hours. That's at least better than wasting my time on Masuda method with 10+ hours on each day.
This method is a lot better for me and less time consuming.

Matsuda Method hasn't been confirmed to be in Gen 6 yet either so your breeding may be with the original amount. Even with lowered rarity, its still not a given. I have friends who have tried Matsuda Method breeding in Black 2 and find more Shiny Wild Pokemon than they have bred even with the Shiny Charm. Its all still random luck.

All i said is Matsuda method has a higher chance of producing a Shiny than the regular method.

if you compare methods, the Radar is supposed to be the highest chance. My highest chain in gen 4 was over 100 and never encountered a single shiny during it, though theoretically I should have found at least 4 of them.

Higher rate doesn't actually mean you'll find more since luck is still a huge factor.

Years
Regardless of whether your theory is correct or not, thank you for posting this thread because I went straight in the Friend Safari and within 5 encounters I had a shiny Octillery. My first shiny ever.

I personally think their may be some basis to it given the other benefits of Friend Safari and similar to the Masuda Method, it would be a form of encouragement to interact with other players online. It could be a supplement or replacement for the Masuda Method actually.

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2015

how does 1 get these oval and shiny charm? o.o

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
how does 1 get these oval and shiny charm? o.o

Not quite sure. The way to get them hasn't been revealed, but Oval Charm was on Serebii's item list for Gen 6. Key Item sprites don't generally pass into the next game unless they are coded into it since you cannot transfer Key Items between games.

Oh wow actually Serebii does have how to get it:

Oval Charm- Complete all 3 Kalos Pokedex and show to Sycamore.

Shiny Charm may be completing the National Dex like last time.

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2017
i heard that the shiny rate in the friend safari is actually higher because theres only 3 pokemon in there. no others which is why its higher because youre only encountering 3 pokemon. i assume that is higher if the person only has 2 pokemon available in their friend safari

Monte Blanc

The White Rabbit
Years
i heard that the shiny rate in the friend safari is actually higher because theres only 3 pokemon in there. no others which is why its higher because youre only encountering 3 pokemon. i assume that is higher if the person only has 2 pokemon available in their friend safari

This is sorely incorrect. By that logic, every Legendary encounter should have a heightened chance for a Shiny, but they don't. It doesn't matter how many or how few Pokemon you can catch in an area, the chances of one of them being Shiny is still 1/8192.

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2017
This is sorely incorrect. By that logic, every Legendary encounter should have a heightened chance for a Shiny, but they don't. It doesn't matter how many or how few Pokemon you can catch in an area, the chances of one of them being Shiny is still 1/8192.
did i say anything about the legendaries? have you met legendaries in the friend safari? no to both. i said the chance is risen in the friend safari i didnt say anything about outside of it. and the chance of shinies area actually higher than regular games in the wild. ive read it somewhere. but next time, read it before you reply. thank you

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I think people are assuming it is easier to get shinies in Friend Safari because I think it was said to be easier to get perfect IVs there. Which I have also heard that perfect IVs usually have a higher chance to be shiny.

I don't have any evidence for this. It is just things I have heard. So none could be true.

It is not actually a higher chance because there is only 3 pokemon. It is higher because your not running into 10 different pokemon on a route. So you are more likely to get a shiny you want, but it is still the same chance.

Also Xander, in an interview, it was said they wanted to make shiny pokemon easier to get. I do not recall which one so don't ask. I also do not think they would take MM out.

Monte Blanc

The White Rabbit
Years
did i say anything about the legendaries? have you met legendaries in the friend safari? no to both. i said the chance is risen in the friend safari i didnt say anything about outside of it. and the chance of shinies area actually higher than regular games in the wild. ive read it somewhere. but next time, read it before you reply. thank you

You used the limited amount of Pokemon available in the Safari as an answer to the increased Shiny encounter rate. I was using Legendaries as an example. Next time, maybe try to not jump down my throat when you respond, mkay? Thanks.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
I prefer hatching, koff~

While I haven't had so much luck, hatching provides you with some semblance of control, whereas you'll just be carting around that shiny Sunkern around for weeks on end. You don't want to keep it, but you can't bring yourself to throw it away, koffi~

Back