• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Masuda Breeding vs. Safari Shiny Rate

Sotani

Pokemon Breeder Yuki
Years
Well, let me say that I spent about 3 days straight breeding eevees, got around 15 boxes of eevees (i release as i go of course so it doesn't get too crowded) and no shiny at all.

About 2 days ago I added a person with Eevee in their Safari, spent i'd say a day and a half in their safari and I just got a Shiny Eevee this morning from it! Also, I've found a random shiny Hawlucha and Pidgey just from seeing what kind of pokemon were in people's safaris.

I don't know if the safari has a higher chance or not but it certainly seems that way. I was using the matsuda effect through the whole process of my eevee breeding by the way.

Ársa

k.
Years
How do we know its different? Why should we assume its different? It has Pokemon in it to catch with same catch rates as they always have. I've gone through 10 hours of Safari hunting total and have not encountered a single shiny in it. Only Shiny I have found was Honedge while using Magnet Pull Nosepass.

I got the hardest encounter rate catch before any of the easier encounter rate catches (MM Breeding, Chain Fishing (highest chain so far is 70), Radar Chaining (highest chain is 46).

We've got no reason to assume its different since the Safari has only 2 purposes (as stated by the game, guide, and official sources) right now, getting older Pokemon and attaining hidden abilities.

Does it mention that each pokemon caught in the safari has at least two perfect IV's? Or even mention IV's at all? Something not being mentioned in the game guide doesn't mean anything.

The fact is, there are a plethora of people who are finding shinies in the safari - I even found a Shiny Abra today after about 30 mins. If you're listening to people talk about finding 4 shinies in a single day, it's obvious the encounter rate is higher than the regular 1/8xxx. THAT is why we're assuming it's different.

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
Friend Safari rate is probably faster but breeding is still better in my opinion. With breeding using Masudo Method because you have better control over the Nature/IV/Ability. Shiny may take longer but you should end up with a better Pokemon in the end.

James

Make it double!
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 31, 2017
The first shiney i EVER got was in the friend safari. A shiny Fraxture just snuck up on me. It wasnt until after that that i actually got into the shiny pokemon stuff. I tried out the Masuda Method and after only 8 eggs i was able to get a shiy charmander. So i cant really say which works better. Both of these instances happend within a few hours of each other.

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
Years
I guess you still need alot of luck with both methods. Before Pokemon X/Y I (as many others I guess) never had the chance to try the Masuda Method. I'm currently breeding my Delphox with a Ditto (Jap), so hopefully I will get a shiny Fennekin myself :3

I haven't put much effort in exploring the Friend Safari for shinies yet, but I will try later on to see what shiny Pokemon may be hidden there. Have had alot of luck with chain fishing though so I will continue that first while breeding for my shiny Fennekin ^_^ ...Or just that lucky 1/8192 encounter of a random shiny in the wild! ;)

Ribbon

The Queen of Shinx
Years
The first shiney i EVER got was in the friend safari. A shiny Fraxture just snuck up on me. It wasnt until after that that i actually got into the shiny pokemon stuff. I tried out the Masuda Method and after only 8 eggs i was able to get a shiy charmander. So i cant really say which works better. Both of these instances happend within a few hours of each other.

Well then. SOMEBODY'S been lucky.~
Congrats on your shinies. (: I'm at 130 something eggs and I haven't gotten it yet.
But overall it seems people have been luckier in the safari...

Back