• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
Go download PGE (Pokémon Game Editor). It has the only Pokédex order editor that supports more games than just FR. I believe it supports Emerald.

It does seem to support Emerald, but when I loaded up my game to test it, the game left the spaces blank in the dex when they were encountered and/or caught...

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
It does seem to support Emerald, but when I loaded up my game to test it, the game left the spaces blank in the dex when they were encountered and/or caught...

I works fine for me. Wait, I know why. You have to save before you move on to the next pokemon. Say I am switching Treeko and Grovyle. I change Treeko's number to 02. If I move onto Grovyle before I save, my changes to Treeko will be reversed. So now if I change Grovyle to 01, both Treeko and Grovyle occupy the same spot, leaving slot #02 blank.

Actually, I am looking at it now, and the rtc is in the same place and so isn't the free space which the script copies the date and time to.

I am going to try and insert this myself and see how it goes.

I did, and I am dumbfounded. The script compiled flawlessly. Then I was able to replicate what happened. So, I opened the memory viewer, took a look at the rtc clock and it was running fine. Then I watched the ram change as the script ran and I noticed it wasn't copying anything but the year and the month over to be used later. Everything else stayed the same.

So, I watched the script happen on FR and I was surprised to learn that all of the date and time were copied over. I don't know where the miscommunication is on Ruby, but it isn't accomplishing the very first step.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
I works fine for me. Wait, I know why. You have to save before you move on to the next pokemon. Say I am switching Treeko and Grovyle. I change Treeko's number to 02. If I move onto Grovyle before I save, my changes to Treeko will be reversed. So now if I change Grovyle to 01, both Treeko and Grovyle occupy the same spot, leaving slot #02 blank.

I did, and I am dumbfounded. The script compiled flawlessly. Then I was able to replicate what happened. So, I opened the memory viewer, took a look at the rtc clock and it was running fine. Then I watched the ram change as the script ran and I noticed it wasn't copying anything but the year and the month over to be used later. Everything else stayed the same.

So, I watched the script happen on FR and I was surprised to learn that all of the date and time were copied over. I don't know where the miscommunication is on Ruby, but it isn't accomplishing the very first step.

So it is impossible right now? We will not be able to accomplish this yet on Ruby in our current state?

Years
  • Seen Nov 15, 2013
It can be done, but you have to edit the routine which loads and carries out evolutions. I have looked at evolution data structure before and it basically is just is a list of every evolution in the game, which can be broken down into groups of five, one group per pokemon. There is no end or starter bytes for each group and therefore the game just counts in order to know which evolutions belong to each pokemon. So, you would have to edit the routine to make it count more evolutions per pokemon, or make a special case scenario

How do I do this? What is the limit on new evolutions? Can I add the new evolutions with YAPE? Or is YAPE programmed for 5?

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
Yes I only need day and time, but would the commands be the same? I'm having a hard time with the buffer thing.

karatekid552

Years
How do I do this? What is the limit on new evolutions? Can I add the new evolutions with YAPE? Or is YAPE programmed for 5?

YAPE is programmed at the maximum number of evolutions, which is 5. The only way I know of would be to edit the routine through ASM. This change most likely being just a byte change and a pointer change to the new expanded table. However, I am not sure.

Yes I only need day and time, but would the commands be the same? I'm having a hard time with the buffer thing.

Buffers are tough, here is a hint:

Buffernumber 0x[buffer number - 1] 0x[Var which contains number]

So, buffernumber 0x0 0x800D would place the number stored in var 800D (lastresult) and place it in buffer1. Bufferstring works the same way, just instead of a var, there is a pointer which points to the location of the text.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024

After following your steps, it still did not fully work. For example, I am moving Bulbasaur into Treecko's normal spot in the regional dex of Emerald. After I saved, I went and moved Treecko to Bulbasaur's spot. Now, when I play the game, Bulbasaur will have the right number on the status screen. However, he still does not appear in the Pokedex. Is there something else I'm doing wrong?

Years
  • Seen Nov 15, 2013
Why does my pokemon on the title screen appear in a diagonal pattern on the opposite side of the screen it's supposed to be on?

karatekid552

Years
After following your steps, it still did not fully work. For example, I am moving Bulbasaur into Treecko's normal spot in the regional dex of Emerald. After I saved, I went and moved Treecko to Bulbasaur's spot. Now, when I play the game, Bulbasaur will have the right number on the status screen. However, he still does not appear in the Pokedex. Is there something else I'm doing wrong?

Yes, it would appear that the regional and hoenn pokedex's are tied together. You are changing the ???? Pokedex, right? I found that the changes made in that are not reflected in the Hoenn pokedex. Only changing the national one changes things. It is quite wierd.

Why does my pokemon on the title screen appear in a diagonal pattern on the opposite side of the screen it's supposed to be on?

Your .raw file was the wrong size in terms of LengthXwidth

Last edited:

exedissolve

Straight-edge
Years
  • Seen Aug 3, 2013
So what's the best way to add new pokemon?
Is there maybe a stable ROM base I could downlosd and use?

karatekid552

Years
So what's the best way to add new pokemon?
Is there maybe a stable ROM base I could downlosd and use?

Jambo's 649 patch should be released relatively soon. He was able to expand everything to allow for 649 fully functioning pokemon. This would be the best one, as he also added in (and is still adding in) all of the new moves and such. If you can wait for its release, wait for that.

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2013
Can i get the real help? The mapping tut thingy?

I've been tryin got have a serious tutorial and i have a problem w/ a-map, and its about the tiles, i dont know how to make custom ones, or how to make the tiles look connected/synchronized w/ the map, anyone?

karatekid552

Years
Here is some stuff for working with tilesets:

Here is Lu-Ho's tut on how to add (not replace) new tilesets: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=156018

Here is a tutorial on adding tilesets in general: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=186982
Like FBI said, just type in tile sets and hit search!:D

And another good tutorial, (I hope...:)): http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=193377

For animating tiles, this should be useful: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=260619

Now I am just going to use a spoiler:

And here is a link to the best A-map tutorial out there (that I have found): http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=161616

If you still have problems, come back and ask.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
Yes, it would appear that the regional and hoenn pokedex's are tied together. You are changing the ???? Pokedex, right? I found that the changes made in that are not reflected in the Hoenn pokedex. Only changing the national one changes things. It is quite wierd.

Yep. Still not working for me in the slightest bit. Is it possible that there's something wrong with my version of Emerald I'm using? I'm really running out of ideas here for what the problem could be.

karatekid552

Years
Yep. Still not working for me in the slightest bit. Is it possible that there's something wrong with my version of Emerald I'm using? I'm really running out of ideas here for what the problem could be.

Yeah, I played with it some more and I can't figure out how to change the reginal without changing the national. It appears that the numbers in the ???? Dex line up perfectly with those in the regional, but have no effect when changed. I also found that by changeing the national dex, it also changed the regional dex. This doesn't make sense, becuase it isn't like they are both in the same order, (just hoenn first in the regional). There are kanto and jhoto mixed in. I am going to playwith it a little more and ask around. Maybe I can find something.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
Yeah, I played with it some more and I can't figure out how to change the reginal without changing the national. It appears that the numbers in the ???? Dex line up perfectly with those in the regional, but have no effect when changed. I also found that by changeing the national dex, it also changed the regional dex. This doesn't make sense, becuase it isn't like they are both in the same order, (just hoenn first in the regional). There are kanto and jhoto mixed in. I am going to playwith it a little more and ask around. Maybe I can find something.

Okay... Well, I hope you can help me find the solution soon. I appreciate anything you can figure out. Sorry for the trouble this is causing.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
Hey guys! How can I remove the Gengar - Nidorino intro in Fire Red? Like after the "GAMFREAK Presents" Logo, it will just skip that intro and go on to the titlescreen without the push of a button? Is it ASM? How? I'm just sick of that intro.

Also how do I edit the font in Fire Red? Palette offset?

Hey guys! How can I remove the Gengar - Nidorino intro in Fire Red? Like after the "GAMFREAK Presents" Logo, it will just skip that intro and go on to the titlescreen without the push of a button? Is it ASM? How? I'm just sick of that intro.

Last edited:

karatekid552

Years

You edit the font the same way way you did for Ruby. The palette is easy to find. Go to a screen where some regular text in visible. Make sure you are using VBA (I believe No$ works too, but I haven't played with it). In the Tools menu, select "Map View". In the window, find some text and click on it. Slightly to the left, it should list a few facts about the tile you just clicked on them. One of them is the palette (pal). Take the number it gives you and open up the "Palette Viewer" from the tools menu. Under Background palettes, count down the left hand side until you reach that palette number (start at 0). Click on the first color and on the bottom of the window, make note of the offset. Now, open up the "Memory Viewer". Click the "Save" button in the window that pops up and type in the offset and then "20" for the number of bytes. Save. Take the .dmp file it created, open it up in HxD and hit "Select all" and "Copy". Now, search for it in HxD in your rom. The offset of that data is the offset of you palette. (If there is more than one entry, we may have a small problem.)

I have no clue about the intro, sorry. Though, it is probobly a little bit of ASM to skip it. You may be able to edit Gengar and Nidorino in UnLz, if you wanted to make something else out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back