• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PS3 Slim V.2 - Slimmer Than Ever!

Years
600x-1

It has arrived - PS3 Slim V.2

It has been announced that a new PS3 Slim is going to be available for purchase very soon. With it being 25% smaller and 20% lighter than the PS3 Slim, as well as a sliding cover.

Tech Specs said:

Release date - UK: September 28th, 2012 (HDD 500GB), October 12th , 2012 (Flash Memory 12GB)
Product code - CECH-4000series (Charcoal Black / Classic White)
CPU - Cell Broadband Engine
GPU - RSX
Audio output - LPCM 7.1ch, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD, AAC.
Memory - 256MB XDR Main RAM, 256MB GDDR3 VRAM
Storage size - CECH-4000A: Flash Memory 12GB, CECH-4000B: HDD 500GB1
Inputs/Outputs - USB 2.0
Networking - Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) × 1, IEEE 802.11 b/g, Bluetooth® 2.0 (EDR)
Controller - Wireless Controller Bluetooth
AV output - Resolution: 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i (for PAL 576p, 576i)
HDMI OUT connector - 1
AV MULTI OUT connector - 1
Digital out (optical) connector - 1
BD/DVD/CD drive (read only)
Maximum read rate - BD × 2 (BD-ROM), DVD × 8 (DVD-ROM), CD × 24 (CD-ROM)
Power - AC 220 - 240, 50/60Hz
Power consumption - Approx. 190W
External dimensions - (excluding maximum projecting part ) Approx. 290 × 60 × 230 mm (width × height × length)
Mass - Approx. 2.1kg
Included - PlayStation 3 system × 1, Wireless Controller (DualShock 3) × 1, AC power cord × 1, AV cable × 1, USB cable × 1​

What are your views on this new console? Is this the sign that the PS4 is on its way? Remember they did this with the PS2?

Talk about everything here.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
...Why?

I really don't understand releasing a revamped PS3 when we're getting so close to the next generation, lol. Then again I'm not normally a fan of when home game consoles are revamped so I guess I'm not the target audience for this anyway.

TornZero

Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader
Years
The PS3 still has another 3-4 years (that is, roughly the current lifespan the PS2's faced) before it needs to jump into the eighth generation of consoles. The Vita extended it (possibly past the next 3-4 years depending on the Vita's long-term success), just as the Slim v2 is a hardware improvement to keep it fresh.

I'm going to guess that it can go two more years before Sony even makes an announcement for the PS4.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
...Why?

I really don't understand releasing a revamped PS3 when we're getting so close to the next generation, lol. Then again I'm not normally a fan of when home game consoles are revamped so I guess I'm not the target audience for this anyway.

This is what I thought. Reminds me of the gameboy micro and stuff. I may just wait until the 2nd release of the next gen consoles.. or maybe I will get it eventually since I don't have any of this current gen's consoles here.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Another slim version? I don't even have any PS3 model, but still lol. :( I could understand if maybe it was released in a new color as well or something, but just a slimmer model...bleh. It is Sony, right? Not Apple? RIGHT!? But I agree with Toujours, it just seems strange to do this when we're so close to the next generation of gaming. Going out with a bang, I suppose?

Honest

Hi!
Years
If they don't overprice it, it can very well be a good seller, especially since it's the holiday season. Never to late to jump on the bandwagon, as they say. It's have been even better had it been backward compatible with PS2 games, imo, though. Still, this'll definitely give Nintendo's Wii U (which I think is really dumb, honestly) some competition.

As for if it's a sign of PS4, no. Had Vita not come out, I'd have said maybe, but I'm not sure, honestly.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Now Nintendo has to release a new console and even that doesn't compare to the PS3 in power.
How so?

The Wii U is an inbetween console thing like the Wii was. Wii was better than the PS2/GCN/Xbox gen but not as good as the 360/PS3 combo. From what I've read it is the same boat this time around. More powerful than the 360 and PS3 but will be outdated once the 720 and PS4 are out

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
Years
...I just got a PS3 like 3 months ago. WTF

Eh. Whatever. I didn't pay for it so yeah. XD I don't know if I'll buy a PS4 immediately so I'm find with the regular Slim model. :/

This kind of stuff always happens to me.

Years
Another slim version? I don't even have any PS3 model, but still lol. :( I could understand if maybe it was released in a new color as well or something, but just a slimmer model...bleh. It is Sony, right? Not Apple? RIGHT!? But I agree with Toujours, it just seems strange to do this when we're so close to the next generation of gaming. Going out with a bang, I suppose?

In the system specs it says that it is coming in both black and white.

I'm a little dissappointed that nothing else seems to be different about this console from the previous versions other than the physical design of it. I would have at least liked to see the return of backward compatibility (for PS2 games), but I had no idea that PS2 games were still being made- 12 and a half years after the console debuted, and 6 since the PS3 came out.

It wouldn't surprise me if we don't see a PS4 announcement until some time late next year or early 2014, with a release date around November 2014 (under the assumption that the new XBox is out sometime next year).

Zet

Years
I'll be taking advantage of EB Games trade-in deal. Trade in your 160GB PS3 and get the 500GB slim PS3 with 2 controllers and 2 games for $198.

...Why?

We most likely won't be seeing next-gen consoles until mid-late 2014 to early-mid 2015.

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
Years
PS2 was still selling during PS3 came out, they still are selling ps2's. I dont see how the PS3 will die out anytime soon, gonna be for like another few years till PS3 wont have games for sell, PS3 will still be playable for fans, especially those who can't afford a PS4. I also still play my Ps2, I didnt buy my PS3 till last year, I had a PS2 all this time it was out. Ps2 is still a great system to play. PS3 is too, I highly doubt the ps3 will die out anytime soon, so this will be good for sony.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
I did a little bit more research and it looks like I wasn't totally right. It's hard to nail-down (or maybe I'm just sucking at finding the information) but most sources seem to agree that it's about as powerful as the current gen, maybe a little bit better. But not by much.

I'm not trash-talking it or anything. I just know Nintendo isn't exactly known for caring about graphical power. :P

Interestingly, they always had the stronger consoles in every generation until the Xbox arrived... and they realized the N64 AND the Gamecube, despite being more powerful than both the PS and the PS2, were a failure- because Sony had CD's and DVD's. That's when they stopped caring about graphics and went for "everything else" that could make the console "different" and work as a selling point. And suddenly, once the Wii arrived, everyone forgot the ad campaigns, back from the Genesis era, which could be summed up as "the SNES is more powerful than the Genesis period" and be convinced that "Nintendo never cared about power". You are playing with power anyone?

Anyway, as far as I can tell, this superslim console is strangely surreal. First, the system specifications and launch dates are very different in each region:

PS3-Super-Slim-Sony-s-5-Mistakes-1091403.jpg

Second, the WiiU is barely more expensive (in Japan, in fact, the prices are THE SAME) and they can sell it as a completely new console. Will you want to buy a new version of a console that has been around for almost a decade or buy a completely new one for that same price? If they really want to pose a threat to Nintendo, they should have sold it at half-price. I'm pretty sure we can have less hdd storage and instead pay only €150.

What were they thinking?

Years
Maybe they were going for the 'Home Entertainment' type of route?
With a big HDD, you can put more music, films and whatever on there and with the Blu-Ray drive, it fits nicely into the home as an entertainment system that does everything, rather than just one thing.

*Shrug*

Sony have always been like that, though.​

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
But how do you explain the 12GB console that is being released in Europe for two hundred and thirty freaking euros? Just €30-40 cheaper than a WiiU? With the added bonus that you need to add your own harddrive since the HDD is so small you can barely install more than four games there.

I'd have also offered a barebones-nothing-included PS3 for 150 and then let people use their own harddrives (I have a 1TB one that would have fit in there nicely). That way, you can make both the people who want a full entertainment system AND the people who just want a PS3 to play PS3 games happy.

Last edited:

KonohaSkye

Gamer 4 Life
Years
It worries me Sony is doing this and not really putting more work into Vita and PS4. I mean we have a remade version of the PS3 already. I can understand why Nintendo does it for handhelds but it seems silly for home consoles in my opinion.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
Don't honestly see the point in another re-design of the PS3, and releasing a version with a absurd lack of memory in order to snipe some of the Wii U's sales seems to save costs seems like a bone-headed move seeing how it's only slightly lower than the basic model of the Wii U.

Or it could just be a excuse to not announce the PS4 already.

NatureKeeper

Now Nintendo has to release a new console and even that doesn't compare to the PS3 in power.

I don't want to start a console war, but the Wii U is x4 as powerful RAM-wise at least and has a better GPU. Some developers say that the processor is weaker than Cell though, but then again the thing has a GPGPU.

On-topic, I do believe that thing is released to combat the Wii U. In fact, the pricing seems very competitive, with the best one being the price of a basic console, and half the memory space for $50 cheaper. Plus they're also using the "offer basic storage, expand by yourself" scheme with the 12 GB model in Europe.

This will be one hectic holiday season.

Back