• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Add New Pokemon In 15 Easy Steps!

Years
  • Seen Jan 2, 2011
I followed the steps exactly as they were, but when I try to write it to the rom it says the image isn't indexed. At that point I can open it in infranview and decrease the color again to 16 (this would be the second time). at that point I can import and write it, but then in the game the image is messed up..help..?

Years
  • Seen Jan 31, 2010
This tutorial is great, thank you!
But I have a question: How do you change a Pokemon icon? You know, those in the Pokemon team screen. I can edit Pokemon main image and backsprite just fine, but I don't know how to edit the icon. Is the method similar? As in, have to search for the icon in Unlzgba and edit it?

Years
@Toxicroak, look up at Wichu's signature, and follow the link to his tool thread, they are the best for hacking sprites and Icons.
I've got a theory, and if I'm honest I haven't read through the thread, so if this has been said/mentioned already just let me know (politely, thank you ^^). Those 25 "empty" slots surely have something to do with the Unown? That'd be why they have its cry? Could.. Gah, I had a whole elaboration planned out in my head, but it's gone:( essentially what I'm asking is, could they have something to do with the Unown? I'm hacking Emerald, and I would like to know from other people who have successfully inserted Pokemon over the "empty" slots in Emerald? Has it been tested- ie, open up a map, set the Wild Pokemon to a Unown and one of the newly inserted Pokemon, and see if multiple Unown forms still appear? [/babble]

Years
  • Seen Jun 19, 2011
When I try to Import my image it says 'Error: Image Not Indexed' what can I do about it?:\

FireFox

Dialga Fangirl
Years
  • Age 37
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 24, 2018
This guide goes well, until I get to steps 8 and 9.

I copy the old sprite over to the Irfanview one and when I save, it un-indexes. Why is this happening? :/

Bela

Banned
Years
@Toxicroak, look up at Wichu's signature, and follow the link to his tool thread, they are the best for hacking sprites and Icons.
I've got a theory, and if I'm honest I haven't read through the thread, so if this has been said/mentioned already just let me know (politely, thank you ^^). Those 25 "empty" slots surely have something to do with the Unown? That'd be why they have its cry? Could.. Gah, I had a whole elaboration planned out in my head, but it's gone:( essentially what I'm asking is, could they have something to do with the Unown? I'm hacking Emerald, and I would like to know from other people who have successfully inserted Pokemon over the "empty" slots in Emerald? Has it been tested- ie, open up a map, set the Wild Pokemon to a Unown and one of the newly inserted Pokemon, and see if multiple Unown forms still appear? [/babble]

This has been bothering me for some time as well. However, considering there's 28 different Unown forms, it wouldn't seem that it would be the case. Somebody should look into this!

And secondly, the issue of cries themselves. I too have had the issue of inserting cries into Fire Red to no avail--I want to know if somebody has successfully inserted cries into their English Fire Red, specifically by changing the pointer for one of the ? Pokemon between Celebi and Treecko. Has anyone been able to do that? If so I would love to hear from you =)

Last edited:

6ryan4

"Watch the power of aura!!!"
Years
This tutorial allowed me to import Lucario into the game successfully. I added the front and back sprites perfectly on my first try. My only question is: how do I import an icon seen in the PC and the current party menu?

Edit: Actually, I didn't do it perfectly. I wanted to fill up one of the "?" slots after Celebi, so I picked a random Pokemon sprite like you said to and did the Import and Write to ROM process; however, I ended up changing the image and palette of that random Pokemon sprite. HALP!!!

Last edited:

Mark975

Rogue
Years
This tutorial allowed me to import Lucario into the game successfully. I added the front and back sprites perfectly on my first try. My only question is: how do I import an icon seen in the PC and the current party menu?

Edit: Actually, I didn't do it perfectly. I wanted to fill up one of the "?" slots after Celebi, so I picked a random Pokemon sprite like you said to and did the Import and Write to ROM process; however, I ended up changing the image and palette of that random Pokemon sprite. HALP!!!

Can you tell me what number you did to add the palette cause mine stuffs up

Mark975

Rogue
Years
Following the directions exactly will guarantee your success with the palette and image. It's really not that hard at all. However, there is the issue of a Pokemon sprite being altered that I talked about.

I did everything like putting the number as 64 in FSF for the palette but it doesnt work

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2010
I followed the steps, but when I go into UNLZ and try to import the sprite, It says "Sprite is not indexed". Whats wrong?

NInjaboyX

Ninja boy Marcus
Years
I tried to put my new pokemon as a starter i put the pokemon in the ???????
right after celebi but it just froze...
does that mean that you can't put the new pokemon as starters?

toastier

da bomb. :)
Years
does this perhaps work with editing trainer's sprites? like if i wanted to change a bug catcher to look like misty, could i use the same/similar method? i know this doesn't have a whole lot to do with the tutorial, but i need help on changing trainer sprites, and this was the closest thing i could find. it looks like it would work...

Back