• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ingame Team, First playthrough.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 14, 2022
XY Ingame Team, First playthrough.

Hey, I need some advice on my team as I have just reached Snowbelle city and my situation is this. I have two pokemon who are even CLOSE to being ready for the league, the others are woefully behind as I can't seem to make my mind up about the last slot and as we all know its a ♥♥♥♥♥ trying to train 8 or 9 equally at once.

So far my team is this:

Chesnaught lv 67 Naughty, Overgrow. Needle Arm, Grass Pledge, Spiky Shield, Seed Bomb

Talonflame lv 68 Hardy, Flame Body. Ember, Flame Charge, Acrobatics, Brave Bird

Lucario lv 57 Hasty, Steadfast. Aura Sphere, Me First, Close Combat, Power Up Punch

Pikachu lv 61 Modest, Static. Electro Ball, Thunderbolt, Thunder, Nuzzle (need to keep nuzzle for paralyzing wild pokes without too much damage.) Pain catching weaker ones when yours are much stronger.

Xerneas lv 55 Serious, Fairy Aura. Night Slash, Horn Leech, Moonblast, Megahorn

Final spot is between:

Charizard

Amaura

Lapras

Kadabra

Haunter/Gengar only lvl 30 right now

Virizion

All these are still low level though 30 to 50 so will need to grind.

Would appreciate your opinions on levels, possible switches, movesets and the final spot, thanks.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
Chesnaught: Grass Pledge seems too situational to be useful. Chesnaught doesn't have a high SAtk anyway. Replace it with Hammer Arm. That way, you get a Fighting STAB move. Needle Arm takes up a slot that could be used for something like Bulk Up, Stone Edge, Swords Dance, Power-Up Punch, etc. But if you find that you run out of Seed Bomb's PP too often, then I suppose Needle Arm can stay.

Talonflame: Definitely replace Ember with Flare Blitz, it's much more powerful. Acrobatics or Brave Bird could be replaced with Roost or Swords Dance, since you don't need both. Depends on which move you prefer to keep.

Lucario: Replace Me First or Aura Sphere with Shadow Claw. Fighting and Ghost hit nearly every Pokemon effectively. You could also go specially-based and use Calm Mind and Shadow Ball over Power-Up Punch and Me First or Close Combat, respectively.

Pikachu: Get a Light Ball, assuming you don't have one. Replace Thunder with Charge Beam, it will aid Pika with sweeping. Also replace Electro Ball with Grass Knot so Pika can damage Ground-types.

Xerneas: Use Calm Mind over Megahorn. With CM, Xerneas will be a monster. :o Thunderbolt should replace Horn Leech, which provides very nice coverage for various Steel-, Poison-, and Fire-types. Replace Night Slash with Focus Blast too, unless you're worried about Aegislash. FB will nab a bunch of Steel-types for super effective damage.

Your team would benefit by adding a Pokemon to deal with Fire-types. Lapras should be good enough for the job, though it's neutral to Fire attacks. Mega Charizard X and Y are really good too.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 14, 2022
Chesnaught: Grass Pledge seems too situational to be useful. Chesnaught doesn't have a high SAtk anyway. Replace it with Hammer Arm. That way, you get a Fighting STAB move. Needle Arm takes up a slot that could be used for something like Bulk Up, Stone Edge, Swords Dance, Power-Up Punch, etc. But if you find that you run out of Seed Bomb's PP too often, then I suppose Needle Arm can stay.

Talonflame: Definitely replace Ember with Flare Blitz, it's much more powerful. Acrobatics or Brave Bird could be replaced with Roost or Swords Dance, since you don't need both. Depends on which move you prefer to keep.

Yeah that is my main issue with seed bomb. How do I teach Flare Blitz though? Talonflame has never learnt it through level up and I can't find a TM for it anywhere.

Super Bling

Clair pretty thick, huh?
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 10, 2014
If it was me I'd use Amaura for the sheer fact of it being a dinosaur with an interesting typing and ability. That typing is terrible though, 4x weak to fighting and steel. Ouch. You loose your resistance to Fire with the Ice type, too. But I'd still use it. It has slightly above average SpD (92 base) though, so that should aid in taking some special attacks. With a base 99 SpA and Refrigerate (which despite being almost completely useless, as it learns no decent Special Normal moves to accommodate it's special attack) it does learn Hyper Beam, which is good, I guess. With refrigerate it turns Hyper Beam's base power to over 180, I think? As well as STAB and you can multiply that by 1.5. Yeah this is a long post. But really I guess this is a decent summary of Aurorus (Amaura).

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 14, 2022
Give the reminder lady a heartscale and she'll be able to teach it to Talon.

Ok thanks for your help! Have taken your advice on the movesets and started levelling Lapras. Might have to hit a restaurant and use some o powers lol or this is going to take forever. *looks woefully at lvk 45 Lapras*

Back