• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Now that Gen 8 has pretty much been confirmed... let's review Gen 7...

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2019
I REALLY loved the all of the starters of gen 7. I think they were amazing..
But other than that, can't wait to be done with gen 7 and hopefully be back to the gyms formula

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 12, 2022
Charjabug debuted in this generation; therefore it is one of the best generations.

Please help me, I can't like this post more than once.

Out of curiosity, does anyone agree that the quality of starters decreased slightly after gen 4?

Personally, I don't think there's ever been a single batch of starters I've ever felt were "bad" - either before or after Gen 4. I can understand why some people might get turned off from Gen 7's batch - but I think this gen did a good job of having a starter for everybody.

You had one for owl people, one for cat people, and one for dog/fish people.

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
Years
I'll be honest, the trials were boring (most of them), netted you little to no experience, and were so damn easy. And the totems were easy. I destroyed Lurantis, and Totem Salazzle was so easy to destroy, especially since I had two ground types on my team. And my Pokemon were overlevelled by a large gap/ 10 levels above, I think? Can't be sure. Hopefully, in the next games, there's some penalizing rule that doesn't let you use Pokemon over a certain level at a certain point in time. Just wondering, is the obedience thing even there in SM?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 2, 2022
When I played Sun and Moon i thought that was the best generation in years, but when USUM came I saw everything boring and wrong with it.

Many of the flaws is about gameplay, 3h long tutorials, generic story, useless mechanics. They basically they repeated everything bad from Gen 6.

But the region is way cooler, the Alolan Dex and new pokémon are great, better than most from Gen 6.
I don't hate Megas, but Alolan Pokemons are way more interesting.
And the trials were boring, but so were Gen 6 Gyms, so whatever.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
I quite liked gen 7. Ignoring nostalgia and looking at it as unbiased as I possibly can, I honestly think it's my favorite generation. I loved a lot of the pokemon, the characters and story were great, region was pretty good, and it probably had the best features out of any pokemon game. I agree trials were a bit lackluster, and I kind of wish there were actual bosses aside from just the totem pokemon, as it would allow for a lot more type variety and interesting battles imo.
Ultra sun and Ultra moon were also great, easily better then S/M. I did find the beginning slightly boring, but it's the same for any third version.
The anime is also good. Idk what you're talking about saying it's bad, I don't watch it myself but I know TONS of people who enjoy it.
And there's no "bias" against Kalos. They simply weren't satisfied with third version sales at the time, and chose to do ORAS instead.
And Sun and moon have sold amazingly, I believe they're currently the best selling aside from gen 1? So it's certainly not a failure in that aspect either.

And I suppose I should address the cutscenes... I do agree not having a skip button is a bad idea, but honestly it's kinda normal if you play a lot of JRPGs, so I didn't really mind. I also think they did a pretty decent job hyping up the games. Granted, before gen 7 I wasn't super involved in the online pokemon community and didn't keep up a ton, but I've never been more hyped for a game then I was for USUM.

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
And there's no "bias" against Kalos. They simply weren't satisfied with third version sales at the time, and chose to do ORAS instead.

However, that doesn't really explain why they chose to do third versions for Alola, yet not do them for Kalos. Were they trying to grab more cash by pairing them?

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
However, that doesn't really explain why they chose to do third versions for Alola, yet not do them for Kalos. Were they trying to grab more cash by pairing them?

I think it's moreso upholding a pattern then anything. They never do 2 remakes on one system, as both the second generations of a system (gen 5 and gen 7) had two games set in the same region.
Also, it wouldn't be a very good generation if it only had one set of games, so they decided to do third versions again

The Mega Champion

Strategist
Years
Sorry it took me so long to respond. I kind of forgot about this thread and Pokken Tournament has been infuriating me.

Regardless I do know everyone has their own opinions and I wasn't really trying to get others to agree with me.

I just don't understand how some of you can like this Gen because of how HORRIBLY BAD it was but whatever.

I've stated my reasoning for why I think it was bad and no one tried responding to it or explain how they could like this OBVIOUSLY HORRID Gen.

But whatever. The fact remains this was the WORST. GEN. YET. and Gen 8 needs to just act like it doesn't exist. Again except for Decidueye.

Regardless I think this thread has served it's purpose and I'm done with it.

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
It's fine to not like generation seven.... but I wholeheartedly disagree. I find the Pokemon to be okay in terms of design. Also, just because so many things have been changed this generation, doesn't make it a horrible generation...

Alola's culture is different from the other regions, so honestly, it's really unfair to flake it for that.

(also all the yokai watch comparisons are really annoying.... Yokai Watch is not even airing anymore, fyi.)

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Sorry it took me so long to respond. I kind of forgot about this thread and Pokken Tournament has been infuriating me.

Regardless I do know everyone has their own opinions and I wasn't really trying to get others to agree with me.

I just don't understand how some of you can like this Gen because of how HORRIBLY BAD it was but whatever.

I've stated my reasoning for why I think it was bad and no one tried responding to it or explain how they could like this OBVIOUSLY HORRID Gen.

But whatever. The fact remains this was the WORST. GEN. YET. and Gen 8 needs to just act like it doesn't exist. Again except for Decidueye.

Regardless I think this thread has served it's purpose and I'm done with it.

I think you should probably refine your definitions of "fact" vs "opinion".

Not sure you're seeing the same topic as me, but lots of people explained why they liked it. Short term memory issues on your part maybe?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 10, 2024
Gen VII had a lot of interesting features, though the faults have definitely begun to show themselves at this point in time.

Festival Plaza was a mistake that should not have been made mandatory for online play.

While I got some goodies from there, the plaza wasn?t all that spectacular in the grand scheme of things. Not helped by how low-ranking shops are still being offered at random even after reaching Rank 100.

The cutscenes, while a major step up in terms of graphics, were no doubt tedious to sit through to the point where it is an unfriendly sight that discourages second playthroughs. If the recent SuperStar Saga remake allows you to fast forward some cutscenes, there really isn?t any excuse why USUM cannot be bothered to implement that option.

Many Alolan Pok?mon really should have had a better speed stat to begin with. (Looking at you, Decidueye, Crabominable, and Vikavolt!)

No player should be forced to use older Pok?mon because many new ones lack a good speed stat or the bulk and recovery to make up for the insane amount of slow new Pok?mon.

The Ultra Recon Squad were cool, but they should have been used more often, preferably if they were made to be the main villains instead. Ultra Megalopolis should have been this Lumiose City-like metropolitan area instead of a linear corridor.

There should have been Alolan Forms for Johto Pokemon that were left out in the original games, as well as more Z-Moves for many Alolan Pokemon.

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
Ultra Megalopolis should have been this Lumiose City-like metropolitan area instead of a linear corridor.

Seconded. When they initially announced the Ultra Megalopolis, I was expecting a massive dungeon filled with Ultra Recon Squad grunts to fight and challenging puzzles to solve, especially considering we haven't had dungeons like this for quite a while. When I went in there I was...disappointed, to say the least. I hate how they blocked off certain areas with caltrops and only give you a hint of what's going on behind them, and then just to rub it in, make it just one single corridor instead of the massive dungeon that I was hoping. Honestly, there's just so much potential that place could have had, but it just went to waste.

Hype backlash at its best.

Last edited:
Back