• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your personality I can see through your words

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
Years
Some people I can and some people it's hard to tell. When I type up a reply for my posts I usually talk what I'm typing in my head at the same time as I type. Although I personally feel my personality come through in posts, not everyone else can.

Can you see anyone's personalities flow through in their posts, words and in their answers at PC? Who?

Though I do understand the fact you can tell someone's personality easier if you are friends with them or if you've seen them so much around the forum their personality kinda sticks to you.

Truality

Left for good
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 17, 2013
Nope, I'm no good at that.

Unless it's some outright idiocy or something too revealing, I can't tell the personality of the poster. Usually, I can't even tell the gender. (if there's no pronoun or indirect hint/I ignore the 'gender' field on the upper right part of the poster's bar)
However, I do believe that people who use smilies in their posts are more-at that time-relaxed or laid-back than those who don't. Just a hunch.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
I think it really depends on their character in the first place and how often you talk to these people/read their posts. If I've only read one post from someone it's really hard to make a judgment on their character but if I've read lots and even read logs of them chatting with others (which I think would definitely give more personality than posts).

Really, it's impossible to tell just from a post or two unless they're really... um, obvious about it. Most of the time I can't tell until I talk to them myself.

moments.

quixotic
Years
Not really, I think there are even examples when I might get a hint of their character through posts, but having spoken to them through VMs / msn and stuff, I know they aren't like that. I think because it is writing, it is easy to leave behind who you are and type what you want, reflective of what you are feeling in that moment and not necessarily on behalf of your personality...

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
Years
I can get some personality traits from what others post and the way they type. Smart, funny, friendly, head in their butt, egotistical.

Simple things. I don't judge people for it though, positive or negative. But I'm like the least social with other PC members than anyone on PC so who am I to say, really =w=

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
you guys all suck omg

I usually can see Patchisou Yutohru's personality through his posts, but I guess thats because I know him (somewhat) and know what he's like. I can see Kura's personality through her posts as well, I don't know her (even though I have her on Skype lol) and I'm not surprised when I see a rather passionate post come out of her.
It's not that hard to see peoples personalities on here, lol. Not everyone is the same.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
Depends on the person for me as I'm used to seeing a lot of different posting styles coming from people I've known for a while now.

But for me when it comes to my posting, I say whatever's on my mind without a second thought unless it was something so offensive even I would find it in bad taste.

Taemin

[i][b]MOVE[/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 10, 2023
I can tell quite a few personalities through posts, and that's.. actually something that I usually try to pick up on. xD; I think it's subconscious, but I do. Though, it depends on how the post itself is typed. If people post with lack of emotes, or lack of emotion then I read them off as being serious, even if the poster was really sad / happy / etc. So I might assume that person has a very serious nature, when it could be way off. xD

Though, with most people, I can usually tell.

What's tricky is when people act differently in their posts then they would in person. AKA being tough and not showing emotion, when in person they're pretty cool to be around. Or visa versa, and they post like "THATS SO KAWAII <3 n___n", when they're completely serious in actuality.

Me, I post the way that I speak, so I'm probably easy to read. Plus I abuse emotes, and when I don't then I'm probably irritated.

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
Through posts? Maybe. But it would be easier if you were friends and chatted with them outside of PC (like MSN) to see their real personality.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I can tell exactly what Captain Fabio would be like with his words, but that's partially because he writes like my real life friends do, as opposed to most of the members of PC. (That's not a criticism, I just have more familiarity with the way he types - and presumably speaks.)

Melody

Banned
Years
I read personality from posts as fluently and fluidly as a fish swims in the sea. That doesn't mean I'm not human enough to make mistakes or draw incorrect conclusions but, I tend to be pretty close to spot on usually. If not spot on I'm generally close enough to get a decent read and avoid the dumbest of mistakes, even though I often step in it from time to time and fail.

I will say though just one or two posts isn't enough, it takes more like 100 forum posts to get a slight idea, or one MSN Convo with about 20-100 messages. And that's just finding the tip of the iceberg so to speak, you haven't even busted out the sonar yet to see how big this berg really is. XD

BareBones

The kids are all messed up.
Years
I can hazard a guess, it's normally quite accurate but I have misjudged people horribly before. There are also some people that I cannot even start to guess about by their posts. Some people I can read like a book, even from very few posts. It normally takes around fifty posts for me to make an accurate guess on the majority of people, however.

I believe my personality comes through quite strongly through my posts - I certainly make no attempt to disguise it.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
Although it's harder to tell someone's personality online than it is offline, I can generally pick up a few things from their posts. It's not really that hard to tell tbh and after talking to people a bit more I've found that I'm generally right, although I've been horribly wrong in a few cases, for example with Vendak who I used to think was really cold and harsh and stuff lol. And in other cases, I've been right, for example I think that Shining Raichu's posts accurately reflect his personality in general.

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
Years
I don't think I can tell their personality, like as a whole, but I can pick up small details, like if that person might be able to take a joke about something, or if that person seems to be more serious than most people. But even then, I have no confidence in that, er, "ability" to really act on it.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
Years
If the differences are definitely there (especially sassy people), then obviously yes, but others are quite difficult to tell.

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2012
Yeah, that's generally something that I catch on too. But me? Good luck mocking how I text/type, it's different every time.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
I think they can, but I don't think most do. Like myself. My personality doesn't at all show through my posts, because my posts are always so formal most of the time. When someone talks to me on MSN or IRC or things like that, then you're more likely to get a taste of what my personality is like. I hate it when people read my posts and make judgements on it and decide what they think my personality is like without even knowing me, but such is life.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I can see the personality of a lot of people, but honestly I'm trying to get away from seeing people negatively because of what I notice. I've noticed in the past "this person types this way, this must be their personality" and be completely off and confused when I talk to them and they tell me that they're completely different. Making assumptions like that has tended to turn out badly for me, so if I think something negative about someone's personality based on the way they type, I try to chalk it up to them just not putting their personality into their posts very well.

Back