• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Patch: Sierra's Miscellaneous Patches

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years

Sierra's Miscellaneous Patches

Want to make using these patches even easier? Most of them have been included in my tool, GBA Intro Manager!
NOTE: These patches will not conflict with anything. They are perfectly safe to use, even for hacks that have already been started.

Ruby/Sapphire

Intro Enhancement

Have you ever wanted to remove the truck animation from the start of Pokémon Ruby without any adverse effects? Or maybe you wanted to edit the positions of the player on their starting map instead of them always starting out in the middle? Well then, this is the patch for you!

Download (Ruby): http://www.mediafire.com/download/0k4t597pcka6q5a/Ruby_Intro_Enhancer.ips
Download (Sapphire): http://www.mediafire.com/download/iybhfvzwk193a8k/Sapphire+Intro+Enhancer.ips

To edit the starting map, X position, and Y position, go into a hex editor at these offsets:
0x52E10 for the map bank
0x52E12 for the map number
0x52E14 for the starting X position
0x52E0C for the starting Y position

FireRed

Intro Mods

Skip Intro Controls Tutorial
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ay1n1d2fdo64md2/Skip_Controls_Tutorial.ips
This patch will remove the part of the introduction where the controls are explained to the player.

Skip Both Intro Tutorials
BPRE: http://www.mediafire.com/download/rrjv3522i42vcic/Skip_Controls_Tutorial_and_Guide.ips
BPRJ: http://www.mediafire.com/download/85t2kfa738lc8by/Skip_Controls_Tutorial_and_Guide_(BPRJ).ips
This patch will remove the tutorial part of the introduction entirely, including the "game explanation" bit, making it go straight to Oak. It contains the modifications of the previous patch, so do not use both together.

Skip Gender Choice (Force Male Gender)
BPRE: http://www.mediafire.com/?wwb0cujuyy7wt7t
BPRJ: http://www.mediafire.com/download/2nfuoxfmq1a994m/Skip_Gender_Choice_(BPRJ).ips
This patch does not let the player select a gender, limiting them to only one choice.

DPPt Font Patch

http://www.mediafire.com/download/t6uc7yuc8buvaqv/DPPt+Font+for+FireRed.ips
This patch will make the font in your game resemble the font used in Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum.

Emerald

Intro Enhancement

Have you ever wanted to remove the truck animation from the start of Pokémon Emerald without any adverse effects? Or maybe you wanted to edit the positions of the player on their starting map instead of them always starting out in the middle? Well then, this is the patch for you!

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/zjrys2kdm0cbk07/Emerald+Intro+Enhancer.ips

To edit the starting map, X position, and Y position, go into a hex editor at these offsets:
0x84458 for the map bank
0x8445A for the map number
0x8445C for the starting X position
0x84454 for the starting Y position

Intro Mods

Skip Gender Choice (Force Male Gender)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/587lp29otl4eldg/Skip+Gender+Choice+(Emerald).ips
This patch does not let the player select a gender, limiting them to only one choice.

DPPt Font Patch

http://www.mediafire.com/download/01ktnly3ldb6ka0/DPPt_Font_for_Emerald.ips
This patch will make the font in your game resemble the font used in Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum.

Last edited:

Bliss

Part-time Pegasister, Part-time PokéFreak
Years
I really like what I see here, but I have to admit I was hoping for a Sapphire patch.

Regardless, thank you so much for providing these patches!

Oh, wow, first reply? Yay!

Sierraffinity

Years
I really like what I see here, but I have to admit I was hoping for a Sapphire patch.

Regardless, thank you so much for providing these patches!

Oh, wow, first reply? Yay!
Sorry but I typically only support FireRed and Emerald to begin with. That one Ruby patch was only done because someone on the subreddit /r/PokemonROMhacks needed it and I had some free time.
Awesome Diego, any chance on removing the name your rival?
I could do that but it might need to go in another thread since it's not just a simple "apply this patch and you're good to go" situation.
I'm making a hack, my rombase is Fire Red, I already did some changing, but, if I patch your patch, in my game, there will be no errors?
These patches can be applied to existing hacks with no issues at all!

Years
  • Age 26
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
These patches are pretty nice!

Also, if the code you modify in the Ruby patch is where I'm guessing it is (I haven't looked), it should also be compatible with Sapphire, because the code for the truck is the same in both games, as well as the locations of the staring map and bank (in the default code, I mean). :)

Sierraffinity

Years
Ah well, it was worth asking.

Thanks for the quick reply! :)
I made a Sapphire intro enhancement patch too! It was simple enough after reading the following reply:
These patches are pretty nice!

Also, if the code you modify in the Ruby patch is where I'm guessing it is (I haven't looked), it should also be compatible with Sapphire, because the code for the truck is the same in both games, as well as the locations of the staring map and bank (in the default code, I mean). :)
The code was close enough but not quite, one pointer had to be adjusted by four. But I created the patch!

Bliss

Years
I made a Sapphire intro enhancement patch too! It was simple enough after reading the following reply:

The code was close enough but not quite, one pointer had to be adjusted by four. But I created the patch!
A Sapphire specific patch? Is that even possible? YAY! You're the best!

Thank you!

Crimnor

» imperishable
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 31, 2020
I made something like that back in 2011 for Feuerrot (German Fire Red [BPRD 1.0]), you can find it here. Compare the patched ROM with an clean one and port the byte changes over to BPRE, I remember the initial structure literally being the same so porting it over really is easy.

By the way, this is for removing the rival naming part in Fire Red. Good luck.

Years
After using all the fire red patches on a base that I patched I ran into issues with getting a black screen after the intro. Which I have no clue why it did that, or can u only use one single patch on a existing pre-patched rom?

Bliss

Years
After using all the fire red patches on a base that I patched I ran into issues with getting a black screen after the intro. Which I have no clue why it did that, or can u only use one single patch on a existing pre-patched rom?
I believe that the first patch is actually included in the second, but I could be wrong. That may have caused an issue. I used the second and third on a clean ROM and it worked perfectly.

Dr. Seuss

Will finish GS Chronicles, I swear!
Years
Only a question Diego ¿How edit the font of Fire Red manually? because I need the DPPT font in my hack, but the patch destroy some maps of my hack and the onlu way is inserting manually

Sierraffinity

Years
A Sapphire specific patch? Is that even possible? YAY! You're the best!

Thank you!
No problem!
I would love this. ~

I need my rival's name choice gone too.
I'll make a thread for that in the coming days, possibly.

I believe that the first patch is actually included in the second, but I could be wrong. That may have caused an issue. I used the second and third on a clean ROM and it worked perfectly.

I repatched everything and left out the font patch and it worked perfectly(2nd patch down).

Only a question Diego ¿How edit the font of Fire Red manually? because I need the DPPT font in my hack, but the patch destroy some maps of my hack and the onlu way is inserting manually
Really sorry to all of you, but the older DPPt font patch was broken... Restore from a backup and try the new one I just posted, it should work fine and really won't conflict with anything this time.

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Years
These are great, a lot of people have been talking about using these on irc chat lately. Wondering how hard would it be to port the intro skip completely for emerald to where you click start new game and it brings you into the game? Darksneasel and I have been poking around at the offsets for it and try replacing bytes or just deleting data... As far as we can get is removing the first messages before played chooses their name and the messages afterwards too but this causes it to skip the "new game" menu and you auto have to start a new game when you boot up. Just wondering if there's an easier method to the madness

Sierraffinity

Years
These are great, a lot of people have been talking about using these on irc chat lately. Wondering how hard would it be to port the intro skip completely for emerald to where you click start new game and it brings you into the game? Darksneasel and I have been poking around at the offsets for it and try replacing bytes or just deleting data... As far as we can get is removing the first messages before played chooses their name and the messages afterwards too but this causes it to skip the "new game" menu and you auto have to start a new game when you boot up. Just wondering if there's an easier method to the madness
I'm not entirely sure what you mean, I didn't post any "skip intro completely" patch.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
I've been using your font patch for a while now and I really like the way it looks, however one problem that I've run into is that in the naming screen some of the letters (j, k, and l) appear to be slightly unaligned. This is what I'm talking about:
Id6M3Gf.png

it would be really great if you could fix it, it isn't a huge problem but it's the only one I've found using your patch.

Sierraffinity

Years
I've been using your font patch for a while now and I really like the way it looks, however one problem that I've run into is that in the naming screen some of the letters (j, k, and l) appear to be slightly unaligned. This is what I'm talking about:
Id6M3Gf.png

it would be really great if you could fix it, it isn't a huge problem but it's the only one I've found using your patch.
You're using the old version of the font patch, which, sorry to tell you, breaks some stuff. If you can, please patch a clean ROM with the newer patch, which should have that issue fixed as well as the other ones I mentioned.

Back