• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Korosu! (Update 7/23/16 6:20 PM ET)

Crizzle

Legend
Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 7, 2024
korosubanner_zpsnm73xove.png

(Made this banner in 7 minutes!)

Hello yet again PokéCommunity! I am Crizzle aka Chris Rose and I'm here to present with what should be my best hack(by default since the others sucked), Pokémon Korosu!

Before you skim through most of this text, take a glance at the features and the screenshots, and (hopefully) download, please read the Bugs section.

Introduction
Pokemon Korosu is vastly different than my previous hacks, which both often tried to be "funny". This hack is a bit more serious(as you can tell as Korosu means "to kill" in Japanese). Despite that, this hack is still in the same messed up universe as Pokemon Outlaw and could even be considered a sequel of Pokemon Outlaw. You don't have to play Outlaw to understand the hack's story but events from Outlaw are referred to. Here's a recap of relevant events from Outlaw, so no one has to suffer(or enjoy) going through that one just to play this one:
Spoiler:

Pokémon Korosu is initially a story of revenge, based partially(not really) on my favorite movie Kill Bill(Vol 1, Vol 2 was good but not nearly as good as Vol 1).
This is a story of a young lady who finds herself in a difficult situation. Her family has been killed and she has been kidnapped by a harsh, mafia-like criminal group and has been doomed into a life of human slavery. PredictablyEventually, she escapes(with some help) and she sets out for a quest to get revenge against those who have ruined her life. That's the 1st part of the story. The 2nd part of the story will have more to do with Pokemon Outlaw.

The game will take place in two very familiar regions. At first it will take place in the Sevii Islands. The 2nd part it will take place in Kanto. Both are very different from their originals. The Sevii Islands have become unstable and nearly all of them are controlled by different criminal groups of varying degrees of strength. Kanto is affected by the events Pokemon Outlaw and is in a grim condition, much different from the Kanto we all know and love.

WARNING: While this game is not as stupidly vulgar as Outlaw, it's incredibly dark and violent. There's also a couple instances of pretty bad profanity. It'd definitely get at least T(if not M) on ESRB.

I'm really happy that I can make a hack like this one because I wasn't good enough of a ROM hacker to make this when I first started last year. This would be the kind of hack, I would have made at the start but I had to settle for editing a lot of text and making it "funny"(and being quite successful at it apparently.)

Features
Unlike my previous nostalgic hacks, I've decided to modernize a little bit so the features could be a little more appealing. (The tiles are still pretty nostalgic though.)

-Physical/Special/Status Split(surprisingly easy to implement). Applies common sense to the battle experience.

-BW2 repel system that asks if you want to use another repel after your repel is finished(provided that you have another repel of the same kind).

-Some Gen 4-6 pokemon. Still mostly gen 1-3 pokemon but I decided to add some of my favs from other gens(spoiler: mostly as opponents. Though one will be given to you. ). It's a very small list of Gen 4-6 pokes. Here's the list:
Spoiler:

-Pokemon Tournament instead of Elite Four/Pokemon League. 64 trainer tournament, inspired my love for american college basketball and their 68 team "March Madness tournament". Hopefully, it'll be an enjoyable experience.

-A completely new story, a bunch of new events and characters. I'd call it a new and unique Pokemon journey. Not merely a 8 badges, evil team, Elite four kind of game.

-Main character kills a LOT of people. Probably unprecedented in any Pokemon hack.

-No waiting to get running shoes. You get to run at the start of the freaking game. Why do you need special shoes to run? Also can run indoors.

-Fixed that stupid trainer facing thing that made no sense,so you actually face the trainer if the trainer challenges you.

-Trade evos by moon stone(some by water stone).

-Still NO FISHING. DEATH TO FISHING! (Honestly, I don't hate fishing. I just have no motivation to make fishing overworld sprites.)

-Here's good spot for a warning that this game will probably get really difficult at various points, particularly in the beginning(where you're kind of put in a tough spot).
-Also a good spot to tell you that the starter Pokemon for this game should be really obvious by now. If you still don't know, play the game and find out.

Screenshots
screensht1_zpspvkinodq.png
screensht9_zpsqltqnr52.png
screensht3_zpsdbwph9lo.png

screensht11_zpsfczzox5b.png
screensht4_zpslm6ayucz.png
screensht12_zpsn2qfqa6m.png

screensht5_zpsypoomlkl.png
screensht10_zpsuqmnytiz.png
screensht6_zps2oc99y8y.png

screensht8_zpsvmo9wkql.png
screensht7_zps1pxqyj6r.png
xtrascrn_zpsihnnvnpt.png

Bugs
There will be bugs. I don't know how but there will be bugs. Half of them won't make any sense but I've learned that no matter how hard you try there will be bugs.
Also, I have no editor, so I'm good for a bunch of typos. And I'll definitely spell weird wrong as wierd("I before E except after C" Stupid 4th grade english teacher. Ruined me for LIFE.)
Here's a list of significant bugs found after the 1st release but fixed by me:
Spoiler:

If you downloaded before a bug was fixed, you don't have to start over. Just patch FR with an updated patch while keep your .sav file and making sure the .sav file has the same name as your .gba file.

Here's a list of known bugs that are fairly minor(may contain some spoilers)
Spoiler:

Please feel free to report any bugs you find. If the bug is major enough, I'll make a new patch to fix it.
Also note that some bugs may arise because of patching issues and may be out of my hands.

Awards:
I'll spare you guys the mom/gf/sis jokes this time.

No real legit awards but:
Best Storyline 2016 Pokecommunty Hack Awards

In case you just wanted to see some early gameplay to make sure whether or not this game is for you. Check these out:
Checkout this review of Korosu by KaizoQuan-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRy-xRbuC20
Checkout BaneBandicoot's Nuzlocke playthrough of this game-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhWC23ZFt8g

Download:
This was updated on 7/23/16 6:20 PM ET. If you downloaded before then, just keep your .sav file to keep your progress.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/6vqqqta43d1w3e8/Pokemon+Korosu.zip
The folder will include the .ips file as well as Lunar IPS(stole this idea from Spherical Ice and Gaia). This is so there'll be less patching confusion.
You'll need a ROM(.gba) file of Pokemon Fire Red(U). Version 1.0. (Not 1.1! 1.1 will show "GameFreak presents" in intro vid while 1.0 just shows "GameFreak")

Banner:
For those of you who care, Here's a banner that you can use to show support made by Corazon(previously known as Caramel-O):
3279728344_1_2_quUTFm5q.png

Credits(these are just some of the credits. The rest are in the end game credits):
Glasikino for the sprite I decided to use for the main character.
Diegoisawesome just for being awesome. (As well as his guides and tools)
FBI and Joexv helped me with one particular ASM routine.
Spherical Ice. Mr. Ice is an inspiration. Also got some OW sprites from him and Mr. DollStreak.
Doesn'tknowhowtoplay, Jambo51 and Darthatron for making that PSS patch and the latter two for the icons.
Kyledove(of Serebii I think), El Diabeetus, Rodriguezjames55,danny 317, Dionen and Vendily for their sprites that were used for some opponents in the game.
Supersoursky of romhack.me for resized ds trainer sprites
Move animation credits: Romancandle, Dream engine, Chaos Rush
Let me know if I've forgotten somebody.

Final note: Thanks to anyone who even considers clicking this thread, even if it's just to quickly skim through and laugh at me. I appreciate anyone who gives this a try. I know that some may or may not be turned off by the Crizzle brand because of my previous hacks but please give it a shot. What's the worst thing that can happen?

Last edited:

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
About the Training Simulator, can you train EV's there, or is it just for raising levels?

Mosmero

Hey, it's me, the Mos!
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen yesterday
Can't believe it's finally here! Will play ASAP!!

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jun 7, 2019
Hoe do you get past the snorlax at Outcast Island? I have searched for a long time and still couldn't find it

Mosmero

Hey, it's me, the Mos!
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen yesterday
Is the shiny chance increased? Because I just found a shiny Oddish on Bond Bridge and I never find shinies this early in any game

Crizzle

Legend
Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 7, 2024
After I posted this, I took this huge nap. Now, I've woken up to 12 replies. Wow.

About the Training Simulator, can you train EV's there, or is it just for raising levels?
It's just levels. Honestly, the training simulator isn't all that. That's why I didn't list it as one of the features. It just makes grinding for levels a lot simpler. If you've reached that far in the game(not that long of a game to play to be honest), then you'll know what I mean.

Hoe do you get past the snorlax at Outcast Island? I have searched for a long time and still couldn't find it
Man, you guys zoom through my game! It takes so long to make but it's so quick to play through.
As for your question, there's an event in the building in the Ruin Valley, where you'll ultimately find a Pokeflute that'll wake up Snorlax.

Is the shiny chance increased? Because I just found a shiny Oddish on Bond Bridge and I never find shinies this early in any game

Nope, you just hit the jackpot.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Sep 5, 2021
Could it be that there's a problem with the event in the building in Ruin Valley? I've beaten everyone and checked every part of the floor in the building but I can't find the Pokéflute. Would be great if anyone could help me out :/

Crizzle

Legend
Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 7, 2024
Could it be that there's a problem with the event in the building in Ruin Valley? I've beaten everyone and checked every part of the floor in the building but I can't find the Pokéflute. Would be great if anyone could help me out :/

After you beat the two admins on the 2nd floor. There'll be an old man on the left side of the large table. The player will intimidate him and he'll give you a Pokeflute.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Sep 5, 2021
After you beat the two admins on the 2nd floor. There'll be an old man on the left side of the large table. The player will intimidate him and he'll give you a Pokeflute.

Strange, I've beaten the admins and the building is completely empty, nobody to be found :/

Crizzle

Legend
Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 7, 2024
Strange, I've beaten the admins and the building is completely empty, nobody to be found :/

Well, he's the old guy to the top left in this screenshot. You'd even see him in the beginning of the game.
screensht2_zpssctpjyor.png

If he was there in the beginning, he should still be there when you return to that building(it's the same map).
So if he was never there to begin with, then the issue is probably a patching problem; where you patched with the wrong kind of rom(where the flags are different, making that guy never appear).

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 15, 2016
My downs might be showing but cant seem to find rock smash or however to get into the cave near crono island

Back