• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Barry or Silver?

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
Here we have two very different and unique rivals each special in their own way, with almost opposite personalities and appearances. On one side, we have Barry, an overenergetic, reckless,cheerful and humorous rival who loves fining you millions of dollars for being what he thinks as slow as a snail.Maybe even slower...really depends :|
He isn't all rush and go though,just waving goodbye and being reckless. He proves he can stand up for you and actually be a serious person (although rarely :3) at the Spear Pillar in the Team Galactic fights.

Then we have the odd,quiet Silver. He has a strange past you never really do learn about...he's quiet and in the beginning rather cruel and a jerk to you. Over the course of the story though...he becomes a great person and learns Pokemon are not just tools of war.So who do you like better? What makes them so special to you? Or do you never really put your mind on them and only give them a second thought when you encounter them? Did you like them for strength or some other reason?

Personally for me Barry has always been a special rival. Not just out of these two,but all of them.Why? I just love his jolly and funny personality and he's always made me smile.A little nostalgia also kicks in since my first game played was Platinum back in 2009.Silver was a good rival but not enough. I liked his teams...they were powerful and strong and loved how Gamefreak made Silver slowly develop into a brighter and better person.So who do you think?

Discuss and give reasons (pretty please with cherries and sprinkles on top :D?)!

Ice Car

Banned
Years
I like Barry because I can relate to his off-the-walls, impatient personality. Silver is possibly one of the few rivals in the Pokemon series that actually has character development, so he's notable to me for that matter. I think I'd choose Barry over Silver in the end because I like him.

Barry is clearly ADHD, just like me as a child. :D

Years
(Someone should add a poll to this)

Anyways, I pick Barry cos he's really funny and he appeared in the anime while Silver didn't. Also, I didn't like Silver's hair much.

Strdstwanderer

We'll get to that tomorrow
Years
I actually like both of them, I like Barry more though because he's hyperactive, loud, obnoxious, annoying, and dependable specially in that Tag Battle against Team Galactic and the one against Flint and Volkner. Come to think of it I'm sorta like Barry IRL.

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
For me its barry because he has a pretty strong team and helps us a lot in the game.I like Silver lesser in HG/SS, i think he was more badass in the original G/S/C.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I prefer Silver by far. He has a quiet yet sharp personality, that I found I loved to watch grow and develop, over the course of the story. Not only was his Pokemon team strong, but his will to win. His design was also quite dark and mysterious too, which matches his personality traits quite perfectly. An excellent rival. My favourite out of all generations.

On the flip-side, I really dislike Barry. He is just too fickle and rushed and his energetic personality isn't my cup of tea. His design is quite sophisticated, but his personality is what lacks with him, I feel.

Last edited:

#isthenumbersign
Years
Yeah I preferred Silver. Barry was really in-your-face, starting from like the first couple minutes you start the game. Silver was a bad guy, yeah, but he never really bothered me at all like Barry did.

Totodilesteel99

Lord of Awesomeness
Years
I prefer Silver by far. He has a quiet yet sharp personality, that I found I loved to watch grow and develop, over the course of the story. Not only was his Pokemon team strong, but his will to win. His design was also quite dark and mysterious too, which matches his personality traits quite perfectly. An excellent rival. My favourite out of all generations.

On the flip-side, I really dislike Barry. He is just too fickle and rushed and his energetic personality isn't my cup of tea. His design is quite sophisticated, but his personality is what lacks with him, I feel.
I agree.
Barry was Hyperactive, IN YOUR FACE, and too overthetop.
Silver, felt in the shadows, and if you got the Celebi event, had quite a good storyline behind him.
I have always preferred Silver, but none of them are my favorite rival of all times.
My favorite of all time is Blue.

The Grubby Pup

Where's mah shiny squeaky ball
Years
Eh, Barry's team had better Pokemon; more or less, but his personality was just plan...annoying to me. He was like a little butterball how he everywhere. ADHD LOL

I remember on D/P in the battle in Canalave (Bryon's City) He had like level 40 baby Pokemon and 3rd stage starter...I was like what da hell? O_o

Silver's team might seemed kinda generic and was pretty easy to deal with when battling him. But I like his personality. I like how he basically use to disrespect/talk down to the main character in-game; which was kinda strange coming from a Pokemon game.

But yeah, Gary or whatever the hell peoples are calling him nowadayz is mah favorite rival.

Ninjagon

Back from a break.
Years
I liked Silver. He was calm and collected as opposed to Barry, the future cop. Barry was- IS annoying every time I play through a 4th Gen game. He is really strong after you have like 20 E4 runs, but that's the only thing remotely close to being good about him. Silver might be rude, but he isn't annoying.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I like Barry better than Silver. The times he crashed into the player were rather funny, tbh. Silver was outright cruel at the first half of HG/SS.

Years
I personally prefer Silver over Barry, because Silver was more of a serious rival and I never really felt the same from Barry. I was more compelled to actively engage Silver as an adequate challenger.

Cataclysmic

A New Adventure
Years
  • Seen Jun 13, 2015
I like Silver so much more. Even though he is initially cruel, he's a much more interesting and developed character, not to mention a lot less annoying. Barry is actually one of my least favorite rivals. :x

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Silver. He not only has nostalgia behind him for me, but the stronger reason is that he was just the more interesting and better characterised character.

Sure, Barry at least was entertaining in his hyperactive nature. He also offered (as did his mum) much humour when called 'COFFEE!' (eg rival's mother asking you to find her COFFEE! for her). And he had lovely battle music as well coupled with an entertaining trainer sprite animation (barry dance, or rather him just running weirdly).

But Silver was the guy you liked to hate. He had some story behind him beyond wanting to fine you a million pokeyen, running into things and having a father who...also ran into things and was at the BF. (Try Giovanni - a much more interesting father for a character to have imo!). He brought in interesting things like stealing Pokemon (repeatedly), and having character development as the game progressed (Barry meanwhile maybe got a thicker skull and that's it). And even with music Silver imo matched Barry there.

So yeah, easy question for myself. =p

bobandbill

one more time
Years
^Odd in a negative way, but good in GSC? Mind clarifying this for me? I don't quite follow, especially as there's not much different to what he does in HGSS to what he did in GSC.

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
Even though I'm not quite sure who Silver is, I'm going with Silver. I absolutely loathe Barry. He always threatens to fine you for something that's not really your fault, and he always bumps into you without saying sorry. I hate the fact that he's like an innocent jerk.

Max'd_Out

Keyblade Master
Years
Silver wins. His backstory and character development are possibly my favorite in the series, because in the end, we see why he hated everything and everybody, esp Team Rocket (Giovanni). But we also see how he changes from the hateful youth into someone who is trying to change his life for the better.

IDK why, but all Barry did was get on my nerves.

Years
I am gonna have to say Barry because i like to have a friendly rival rather a cruel rival, don't get me wrong I like Silver, and i really enjoy how they can turn a jerk into a nice person who is caring (I am currently in my first 2nd gen play through) but Barry is just a good laugh and you don't really fight him that much in D/P so i never saw him annoying. But I can definately say that Barry`s rival theme is my favorite in the whole series its so catchy

Years
Barry, he's pretty cool in the anime and isn't as much of a impolite person than Silver was (because he stole Pokemon from the laboratory!) and his sprite is nice.

Back