• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

No One Cares!

Hatsune Mika

FireRed Nuzlocke
Years
Ever been in class and have a good/great grade in it but 60% of the class and because phones are created you have to do something done years ago back in elementary?

Yup. Apparently 30% instead of 60% and because of the text language we are going over correct usuage fr Capitol Letters, Grammar, etc. :D yeahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

-________- come the hell on now!? Just talk to the peoplr and help. Them with it. God be damned if someone fails an assignment though. No child left behind, pffft. Out of all the schools I have gone to only one actually talked and helped the student directly.

So why enforce something that's not done?
Its as if schools don't care about leaving kids behind.

Why do schools not seem to do what the law says about teaching students unless some person comes to talk about it like bullying? How long did it take before schools started to do no bullying? What I am asking for this though is why is it taking so long even in schools that are "modernized" and go tightly together with the law don't do other things like making seperate teachers or teachers that can teach kids in small groups to 1 on 1? Not everyon can learn in a class room but 99% of the schools I've been to don't do that except for the gifted kids.

Last edited:
Years
I don't understand what you're getting at in the OP. Make it clearer with a main idea, else I'll close it. Be sure to make sure your topic isn't already covered by another thread.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
I think what he's trying to say is that technology is used to do tasks we once used our own brains for, such as calculations.

In a school setting, it is very important to know WHY we do things. That's more important than just the work itself. A lot of higher level thinking has to do with the why, not just the answer. So yeah, using technology for things we should be understanding is not good. However, it cuts down time when beyond that state, for example, using a calculator to calculate the answers to a parabolic equation with the quadratic formula - You really would rather just have a calculator figure it out for you since you understand how to divide and use square roots, and it saves time.

Still OP, very very confusing...

Hatsune Mika

FireRed Nuzlocke
Years
What I was trying to get at was the teacher being a dinosaur thinks that since we have phones nowadays and that texting has become a problem that if one or two people failed at writing if it was based off of capitalization that everyone is the same in it.

Years
What I was trying to get at was the teacher being a dinosaur thinks that since we have phones nowadays and that texting has become a problem that if one or two people failed at writing if it was based off of capitalization that everyone is the same in it.

This is an offensive statement to all dinosaurs out there.
Yoshi_angry.gif

Years
Er, apologies in interjecting, but I'm assuming that the issue you're trying to explain is in regards to the language used with text messaging being an influence on the way students are writing in class? If that's the case, I guess I'll counter with saying that students should have the willpower and realization that using texting language isn't appropriate in academics. They should be able to isolate either one, proper English and text speak, using them whenever necessary.

stp

ShootThePuck
Years
Can you maybe expand on the OP? I still don't really understand it at all. Do you mean that kids are getting left behind in terms of grammar because of phones? Or that teachers refuse to help kids? I'm really confused here...

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
Ever been in class and have a good/great grade in it but 60% of the class and because phones are created you have to do something done years ago back in elementary?

Yup. Apparently 30% instead of 60% and because of the text language we are going over correct usuage fr Capitol Letters, Grammar, etc. :D yeahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

-________- come the hell on now!? Just talk to the peoplr and help. Them with it. God be damned if someone fails an assignment though. No child left behind, pffft. Out of all the schools I have gone to only one actually talked and helped the student directly.

So why enforce something that's not done?
Its as if schools don't care about leaving kids behind.

Why do schools not seem to do what the law says about teaching students unless some person comes to talk about it like bullying? How long did it take before schools started to do no bullying? What I am asking for this though is why is it taking so long even in schools that are "modernized" and go tightly together with the law don't do other things like making seperate teachers or teachers that can teach kids in small groups to 1 on 1? Not everyon can learn in a class room but 99% of the schools I've been to don't do that except for the gifted kids.

Er, koff~

I think you should rewrite your entire statement here. I don't make sense 50%* of the time, but this is a mess. What are you saying here? Teachers aren't that good at teaching? Schools? How many schools have you been to? Have you asked teachers for help directly or after class? You claim you know this elementary stuff, but you've already made four glaring spelling errors, several sentence and structuring errors, a lack of commas where they ought to be, and a surplus of periods. Come now, surely you know this stuff, otherwise they wouldn't be going over it so many times. . . koffi~

*estimate based on an estimate and should not represent actual numbers

Hatsune Mika

FireRed Nuzlocke
Years
Er, koff~

I think you should rewrite your entire statement here. I don't make sense 50%* of the time, but this is a mess. What are you saying here? Teachers aren't that good at teaching? Schools? How many schools have you been to? Have you asked teachers for help directly or after class? You claim you know this elementary stuff, but you've already made four glaring spelling errors, several sentence and structuring errors, a lack of commas where they ought to be, and a surplus of periods. Come now, surely you know this stuff, otherwise they wouldn't be going over it so many times. . . koffi~

*estimate based on an estimate and should not represent actual numbers

Okay, what I meant is why are the schools so behind on all the laws like no child left behind? I know what I do wrong here but I'm talking about in class on papers, even then I do well. Plus it's other students that are doing the wrong way of talking to people and writing on the paper.

With no child left behind the teachers now just give better grades, they don't really help students unless there is am obvious problem. I have been to 10 different schools and as said I have only found one that would reach out and help instead of just giving better grades.

stp

ShootThePuck
Years
Then you've gone to ten terrible schools? My school is nothing like that; you get what you earn. I'm pretty sure you've just been going to poor schools, since I've never heard of this.

Years
Personally, in my opinion, I agree with a previous poster that students enrolled in school are to work for their grades and that teachers should not be obligated to give better grades simply because of the "no child left behind" ideal, although I'm still confused by the wording of your posts OP. The purpose of schools are to educate children for their future in the workplace and if you're not doing the work adequately, well that's unfortunate. So, from what I've read, basically the NCLB Act ensures a certain academic standard to be met by students, but the problem with that lies with the students who do nothing and still get a decent grade. What is that teaching them? That they can continue in life without putting forth effort and doing nothing? That's not how it works in the workplace. Sure, you can get by to a certain degree with that attitude, but teachers generously giving grade to students without reason is ridiculous. That's unfair to the students who put forth effort and work hard.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
Years
I'm going to be completely honest.
This topic is incredibly confusing to read, and how you're explaining it makes me feel like you were one of those kids who have trouble writing.
Honestly, school needs to do a better job at preparing you for the real world, rather than book smart things. The worst is with grammar. They teach you how to write stupid essays instead of Resumes and proper grammar. I'm finally learning grammar in my college English task. I should've learned that in middle school. Without the Internet and the amount of forums I've used has made my grammatical abilities increase. A big thing I also noticed is that English teachers tend to use old English in college. Therefore, words like don't and I've aren't exceptable. You have to say do not or I have. I found that out te hard way.

Years
This topic is incredibly confusing to read, and how you're explaining it makes me feel like you were one of those kids who have trouble writing.
Honestly, school needs to do a better job at preparing you for the real world, rather than book smart things. The worst is with grammar. They teach you how to write stupid essays instead of Resumes and proper grammar. I'm finally learning grammar in my college English task. I should've learned that in middle school. Without the Internet and the amount of forums I've used has made my grammatical abilities increase. A big thing I also noticed is that English teachers tend to use old English in college. Therefore, words like don't and I've aren't exceptable. You have to say do not or I have. I found that out te hard way.

What I've noticed while attending 2 different post-secondary institutions, university and currently college, the former focuses more on theory where essays, large percentage midterms and finals are important. College though is more hands-on, which I think what students should experience rather than focusing on what you stated, book smarts; there should be an even distribution encompassing both, practical and theoretical. Regarding the types of English being taught in schools, I think, unless you are attending ESL classes, teachers automatically assume that you have a grasp and good understanding of the grammar structure and rules like it comes naturally to people. I have several international friends from different countries and when they show me their ESL work, I sometimes have no idea what they're doing because since I was born in Canada, I'd like to think I have a good grasp on the English language.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
It's nice to see that this topic makes no sense whatsoever still, just as it was when it was created.

I really don't see what you're trying to say about anything about education. Yeah, I think that kids using cell phones in class is stupid and douchey. But other than that, I have no idea what you're even trying to imply here...

What I would recommend is plotting out what you're trying to say, putting it into blocks, and then just posting that. It seems like you're trying to reach some sort of point but it's incredibly convoluted and difficult to determine.

an illegible mess.

[i]i'll make [b]tiny changes[/b] to earth.[/i]
Years
alright so, what i'm getting from this topic is that students should be babied and not have to earn their grades.

ok.

several things wrong about this.

what does babying a student or person even do? it doesn't make them learn better, i know that. by babying someone, or giving them a good grade because a teacher feels bad for them, they aren't learning how to do a certain thing properly. if there is something they aren't doing right, they should get a bad grade so that next time they can do it right to get a good grade. that's how life works, really. make a mistake, get bruised, you get back up, learn your lesson, and try a better way.

people in the real world aren't going to be huge softies on you. your boss isn't going to give you some leeway just because he thinks you're special or need more practice on a skill level. he'll fire you because you simply don't have the skills for the job. that's that. no excuses, no buts, nothing. to get good grades, you have to earn them. to get a good job, you have to earn it.

that's just what i got from this post; i apologize if i didn't hit the point correctly. however, you weren't very clear in the op in the first place.

Years

Explain to me how stupid essays and proper grammar contradict one another. Also, English teachers do not use "old English", they use formal English. To be honest, grammar should be taught from a kindergarten level. Reading at least an hour a day helps - you don't have to be "taught" English, you can practically absorb it through books as a child.

Also, going back to the OP, I think the biggest problem is a lack of education funding. You want the schools to do a lot and give them concrete, easily measured targets, but not enough funding. Naturally the schools would prioritize numbers while the softer, not-so-easily measured targets waste away. Having hard targets isn't bad, just as long as things like creativity and teamwork skills and communication skills and student interest aren't sacrificed.

And having 1-on-1 teaching certainly isn't babying. I can tell you that in university, my small-class seminars have provided some of my best learning experiences. In a perfect world everybody would have a tutor who's knowledgeable and involved in your education, but one can only wish. Also, I'm glad that my professor didn't do the whole "real world" thing and fired me when my going got tough. I'm back from my research trip, and I'm pretty darn sure I'm the one who improved the most. In the real world, smart people make smart investments. Nobody's in this alone.

Back