• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Don't Let the Catz say Zero! [DLTMS0 v4.0]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 27, 2023

Don't remember if I posted this before:
Spoiler:

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
I watch stuff I hear a lot about. Watched Kenshin and Gintama because they had some really awesome user reviews on MAL. Neither has disappointed, to be honest. ;p

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023

The thing is what some people consider worthless others do not?? But eh. To each their own.

Anyways there are things about PC that is currently irritating me to no end. So I'll be scarce for a week or so. Adios.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years

I guess if you can find a reviewer you can trust it could work. That Otaku no Video guy on youtube seems to have pretty solid taste.

I'm 3cool7 most reviewers though.

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
Years

Of course everyone can see things differently, but that's no reason to disregard reviews as something to go after. In that case, you shouldn't care about any recommendations given by anyone ever.
When a reviewer reviews something, they usually say WHY they think what they do. So far most of the time a good review has meant a good watch for me, and no way in hell am I going to watch everything just to give everything a chance.

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
Years

And that is certainly a viable way to do things. But unless it's a completely new show, that's not usually how I do it. There isn't a right or wrong when it comes to picking what cartoons to watch.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years

Picking a show because everyone else is watching it and you want to know what they're talking about is a pretty awful way to choose.

Also, finished the 3rd series of Minami-ke. Much improved from the meh s2.

Last edited:

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
Years

But that's not what I do. If your impression of me is like that then there's been a misunderstanding.

What I'm getting here is that there's some sort of hostility against reading a review from someone praising a series you haven't seen and then getting interested in that series. Reviews exist for the purpose of giving other people an image of what a series is like and what to expect out of it; of course their opinion doesn't have to be some divine truth, but if I want to find something to watch, chances are better that I'm going to enjoy something that other people have enjoyed and have proper arguments as to why they did so, than something that other people didn't.

They're all guidelines to help giving an impression.

As for oda nobuna no yabou, I know very little about the series, but from the synopsis alone, I wouldn't watch it. That was my point in my post on the previous page.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years

>There isn't a right or wrong when it comes to picking what cartoons to watch

I was responding to that, didn't think that's what you did. I have done it many times and have more often than not hated/dropped it. Chuu2 ans SAO would be the most recent cases.

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
Years

Fair enough then. Although your opinion on the matter is based on your own experience, I wouldn't exactly call watching a show because many people are watching it and you want to see what it's about an "awful way to choose" either.

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
Years

Oooh, that's an interesting one.
Over the years I've often not cared about the "classics", though that has often been because I've been so used to the modern art and animation. Been digging into them a lot the last year or so though.

I really don't know what to think about calling some shows classy and viewing them in a superior light.
It can certainly make one feel really edgy and culturally accomplished, but sometimes you watch one and don't get what all the hype is about. It makes people's expectations go sky high. It's what I suspect might happen once I start watching Bebop.

But on the other hand they're usually dubbed classics for a reason. They have survived years and years of continued evolution in the media, and are still talked about. That in itself is an accomplishment, but how much does it say about the content of the show itself?

I guess one should go into something not looking at it as a classic you're supposed to really like, but as just any show (albeit made with the technology that was available at the time).

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years

I really think that if something is considered a "classic", you should go into it with zero bias. Really, you the moment you start the show, you need to forget that it's a classic at all and just watch it as a show, because it is really in the consideration of something being a classic when they go into that people exaggerate how much they do or do not like it (inadvertently).

The sad part is, I've noticed some people can't get into some shows for the some reason some people can't get into retro games: because they are too dated in some areas. I've never had this problem, as I've watched shows like Trigun, Slayers, and Dot Hack Sign in recent years and still enjoyed them, and I grew up on shows like Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, Dragon Ball in the like, so "old" things never truly bothered me.

I really wish people could look at the things in the past in the mindset of the past...but it's not so easy. It's in people's nature, especially when they are accustomed to what is modern, to look at things in such a mindset; it's not because they want to so much as they do it naturally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back