Advertiser Content

Discussion What is the best GBA emulator?

Started by calmpalm April 22nd, 2019 10:23 AM
  • 20 replies

Zankew

(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

Male
Inside you
Seen 3 Weeks Ago
Posted June 15th, 2019
152 posts
231 Days
Any tips?
For windows, i suggest you visual boy advance, widely used by a lot of people.
If you are android guy, MyBoy! is the best. Purchasing the paid version doesnt gives you much so free version is better. John GBA is good too, but i prefer MyBoy!

#BestTeam

wanderlustdemon

I'll get angry, and take a nap.

Age 25
Female
Kalt Island
Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted July 13th, 2019
173 posts
248 Days
I'd say Visual Boy Advance-M

as it's the most commonly used.

Seliph

Lord

Male
Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted 1 Week Ago
2,759 posts
6.5 Years
The problem with the original VBA is that it hasn't been developed further for over a decade. That resulted into people forking the project and creating their own modifications. VBA-m being the most prominent one out there. If you go for an emulator, go for that one.

On Android I use Retroarch with a GBA core (can't say with one on the top of my head). It's a little bit tricky to set up and Android does some weird things that require certain habits, but I think it's worth the effort. I mean, it's free as well, so you can't really complain.

Avara

Author of Tales

Female
Izantine
Seen 1 Day Ago
Posted July 1st, 2019
1,051 posts
7.7 Years
I'll second mGBA or VBA-m x

Alexander Nicholi

We come close to find Singularity

Age 21
Male
Research Triangle / Jakarta
Seen 1 Day Ago
Posted 1 Week Ago
5,489 posts
9.7 Years
only reason to use VBA-M is because of sound engine accuracy IIRC, and I don’t know if that’s still true these days. generally speaking mGBA takes the cake for accuracy, so it’s objectively better use.
the beat goes on (ノ^o^;)ノ
ヽ(;^o^ヽ) the beat goes on
the beat goes on (ノ^o^;)ノ
ヽ(;^o^ヽ) the beat goes on
( don’t stop the groovin’ )

Miggiz125s

Nothing interesting here...

Male
New Bark Town, Johto
Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
56 posts
95 Days
VBA is a solid choice, but even if it is not that updated, It takes care of most of your needs.

RichterSnipes

Party Time!

Age 26
Male
USA
Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
428 posts
7.8 Years
only reason to use VBA-M is because of sound engine accuracy IIRC, and I don’t know if that’s still true these days. generally speaking mGBA takes the cake for accuracy, so it’s objectively better use.
As someone whose hack is heavily dependent on proper audio emulation, I can say that it's still true. mGBA produces lower quality audio than actual hardware. I'd say that VBA-M's audio quality might be too good to be accurate, but it's still far superior.

Outside of that, mGBA has it beaten in spades. It's generally the best GBA emulator out there, and that's not likely to change for the foreseeable future.
My hack:

Miggiz125s

Nothing interesting here...

Male
New Bark Town, Johto
Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
56 posts
95 Days
Don't do that. VBA is horribly inaccurate, and even contains security vulnerabilities. I also suggest mGBA, or even BizHawk if you're okay with a multi-system emulator.
I'd like to clarify that it depends on the player. If you just want a solid, working GBA emulator, go for VBA. It has all the features you need.
If you want more, then go ahead! upgrade to VBA-M or mGBA, Although i'm still sticking with VBA as I dont need all those new features. All I need is an emulator that works, and so far, It has filled that role perfectly fine.

DigitalMewtwo

Somewhere on the digital spectrum

Non-binary
Hanging out with Team Rocket
Seen 2 Weeks Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
141 posts
3.5 Years
I never experienced any problem with VBA-M (Or even VBA). Just a solid emulator if you ask me.
Same here. I like its solidness. I also use Gambatte (for Game Boy Color stuff), which is ok enough, but VBA-M seems more stable.
Advertiser Content