• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Error] Trainer ball throw animation seems offset

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen May 6, 2020
So, running EBS for the first time I ran into a few problems, but I was able to solve most of them, I think (like the backsprites being SUPER large).

But when the battles start, the trainer throw animation seems like it's reading the square images slightly off from where it's supposed to. I attached an image as an example.
Phantomlimb.png

Every frame of it has the same problem, where I'm getting 90% of one image with a little bit of the previous one on the left. I don't believe I messed with the image file at all yet.

Any ideas?

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 24, 2021
A different trainer back sprite comes with EBS. The default one will be off.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 4, 2020
Yeah you have to redraw all your custom trainer back sprite. That's why i didn't use EBS

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
Instead of having a trainer back sprite sheet with 5 frames, you have one with 4. Very difficult. Woop.

WolfPP

Spriter/ Pixel Artist
Years
Yep. You can try to read the code to edit, you know? I think the code is:
Spoiler:

Eureka.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 4, 2020
Hey Luka, sorry didn't want to say there is a problem with your tools, they are awesome.
The problem was more that EBS trainers use their right hand to throw the ball while the basic once use the left hand so I thought it might be a visual issue.

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
That's fine, Tsuina. Yes, the system was visually designed from the ground up around the gen 5 style of backsprites (concerning the animation, screen positioning, ball throwing and everything else), but the only differentiating factor is that the backsprite in EBS has a total of 4 frames, while stock Essentials has 5. The hacky solution (though I would not recommend it, as it wouldn't fit visually) is to just trim out one frame from the stock Essentials backsprite. Either that, or dig further through the code as Wolf is suggesting and adjust where the sprites get cut, and how many frames they cycle through during the ball throwing animation.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 4, 2020
Oh ok I'll try that. I don't like "easy ways" as "hard ways" usually have learning as a side effect and learning is all I live for. I still have to dig in other parts of the essential code though because I don't fully undestand where some functions are defined and to what extent they apply. I watched your videos on the ruby language and watched all thundaga videos but I couldn't find a tutorial on the essential script so I still have tons of questions but it's fine, I'm having fun learning little by little.

Back