• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Episode Discussion] Return of greninga

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Apr 13, 2020
For a better team Ash's gerninga should return in sun and moon what do you think ? OR in gen 8

Last edited:

simone1234

Don't underestimate the enemy/opponent.
Years
Sometimes i get the feeling that Greninja would return like how Charizard returned/Gliscor, if he did return Ash would have a bigger chance to win the league(But also Poipole has a chance to return)

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Greninja is unlikely to return but it's not out of the realm of possibility. Generally speaking, Ash has always had a Water Type on his team, even if a fellow protagonist has the Water Starter in the case of Brock(Mudkip), Dawn(Piplup) or Lana(Popplio). Whether the streak of having a Water Type will continue I don't know but the fact he has an open slot does leave open the possibility. However, I think there's a greater likelihood for Poipole to return because they generally like to return Pokémon from the same Generation. Charizard and his Kanto brethren are outliers simply because they're iconic and unique. Even when the bulk of his Pokémon "returned" during the Sinnoh League(wherein Ash's Cyndaquil evolved due to Dawn already owning one) was a one time affair as I see it. I'd kill for Butterfree or Pokémon we haven't seen in ages to return but the odds of that happening are virtually nil.

Last edited:

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
Years
I agree with the previous statements. I think Greninja would likely return in a league situation, though it'll probably be much further down the road.

Years
It would be great to see if Greninja to come in SM, but i think it is going to be about the disaster that his happening in Aloha, and he possibly comes to that region to help Ash and his classmate to investiage about Team Skull creating responsibility for the chaos on Alola regions.

remer

The Warrior
Years
It's spelled Greninja. And no, I don't see why he should return in SuMo given that XY&Z promoted the hell out of him for close to a year, that and he has no real relevance in Gen 7. And also, he has no realistic method of rejoining Ash either since he's stuck in the middle of a forest in Kalos and has no way of reaching Ash on his own since he doesn't even know where the hell Ash even is to begin with.
Ash-Greninja was introduced in Pokemon sun and Moon games.So it should have at least a tit-bit relevance.And just like previously stated,ash doesn't still have a water Pokemon(another possibility)And finally,greninja can know where ash is as he and ash is connected by bond.And maybe it can reach Alola using his ninja and water Pokemon skills.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Apr 13, 2020
Sometimes i get the feeling that Greninja would return like how Charizard returned/Gliscor, if he did return Ash would have a bigger chance to win the league(But also Poipole has a chance to return)
yes poipole can return

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Apr 13, 2020
It's spelled Greninja. And no, I don't see why he should return in SuMo given that XY&Z promoted the hell out of him for close to a year, that and he has no real relevance in Gen 7. And also, he has no realistic method of rejoining Ash either since he's stuck in the middle of a forest in Kalos and has no way of reaching Ash on his own since he doesn't even know where the hell Ash even is to begin with.
But when he left ash there bond was very strong
and they were very close to each other

Years
I don't think Greninja will appear since Greninja is still doing its job on stopping that vine energy and still being the protector of Kalos Forest, so i don't think it will appear at all.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Yeah, I highly doubt that Greninja is coming back. Released Pokemon rarely, if ever, return. I highly doubt Greninja is going to be made an exception to this, popular in Japan or not. Surely, if he were to return, he probably would have by now. (Yes, I know Ash came back for Goodra once, but that was an exception.)

Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
Greninja wasn't released, Ash and its bond (AshGreninja) were shown in the final episode. The first episode of SM also shows Ash hand 6 pokeballs to Oak. Greninja will likely be given a "Charizard like" return someday, even if it doesn't happen for a few years. Greninja was basically the "Charizard" for today's gen of kids, and they'll likely get to see it again like when Charizard returned so many time.

It seems many people here don't even know what being released means. Was Gliscor released when Ash left him with the air-battle master? Was Charizard and Squirtle? No.

Last edited:

remer

The Warrior
Years
Greninja wasn't released, Ash and its bond (AshGreninja) were shown in the final episode. The first episode of SM also shows Ash hand 6 pokeballs to Oak. Greninja will likely be given a "Charizard like" return someday, even if it doesn't happen for a few years. Greninja was basically the "Charizard" for today's gen of kids, and they'll likely get to see it again like when Charizard returned so many time.

It seems many people here don't even know what being released means. Was Gliscor released when Ash left him with the air-battle master? Was Charizard and Squirtle? No.
I too wish it would return someday.Even though it wasn't completely released,it still would be hard to say whether it would return.Take primape for example,I don't think it was released,it just was given out for training.But still it didn't make a comeback,even after all these years.So it all depends on the writers' wishes now,I think.

Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
Ash owned Primeape for 2 episodes. He owned Greninja for an entire series and it was the most promoted pokemon Ash had since Charizard. If you can't see the clear difference between them, then I don't know what to tell you.

Sloxy

Mon Amour
Years
*Spoilers ahead for dub watchers*

Well it appears that the league has now begun in sun and moon (sub). I see no way of them implementing another pokemon and give it enough development for the League. Assuming that there will be full six on six battles, I'm calling it now that there will be a return. I don't know what, whether it be Charizard, or Greninja, guess we will find out. Also now finding out that the "champion" will battle against Kukui. The way I interpreted it was that the person has to beat them in order to become a champion (sort of like the games). Interested to see what comes out of this.

remer

The Warrior
Years
I mean, even assuming that there will be full battles (which I'm willing to bet there won't be), I don't see how the chances of a Greninja comeback are on the same level of Charizard's. Charizard coming back would at least be reasonable in terms of how it could be accomplished since all it would take is a phone call to Prof. Oak (the same goes for any of Ash's Pokemon that are at Oak's place of course), whereas the logistics involved with a Greninja comeback are just really complicated.

Folks can talk about his bond with Ash all they want, but I don't think that them having a mystical connection with each other is going to instantly teleport Greninja to Alola, nor do I think that it would be realistic for Greninja to swim across the ocean to join Ash in Alola when he's not even supposed to leave Kalos to begin with since he stayed there to protect it from those root things.
Greninja ISN'T destined to protect kalos forever.It's duty will be over when it and zygarde has destroyed all those root bits.And I think Greninja has a better chance of comeback than Charizard,as there is already in Charizard in the season i.e. Kiawe's Charizard.So it has the least chance actually.(Please don't compare this with Trevor's and Alain's Charizard,it's just a completely different story.)

Years
It's going to be really difficult to see Greninja return in Alola someday, Kalos is far away from Alola, so its going to be difficult for it to travel to Alola and reunite with Ash there. Greninja created Bond Phenomenon with Ash was only done to promote Gen 7 with Greninja having its own Ash-Greninja one it. I still assume that Ash-Greninja was originally an Mega Evolution, but it wasn't as what i think it was.

And what Greninja should look like in Alola clothes remain really unclear to do so.

Sloxy

Mon Amour
Years
It's going to be really difficult to see Greninja return in Alola someday, Kalos is far away from Alola, so its going to be difficult for it to travel to Alola and reunite with Ash there. Greninja created Bond Phenomenon with Ash was only done to promote Gen 7 with Greninja having its own Ash-Greninja one it. I still assume that Ash-Greninja was originally an Mega Evolution, but it wasn't as what i think it was.

And what Greninja should look like in Alola clothes remain really unclear to do so.

Huh, the Bond Phenomenom certainly wasn't created for the soul purpose of gen 7 promotion. The demo came out on 18th October 2016, where as the anime literally finished a year earlier. If anything, it was the opposite way around where gen 7 was done in order to promote Ash-Greninja.

Back