• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Audio: The GBA Music Resource

Child Amnesiac

Ever changing
Years
I'm here today to provide you some music for your Pokemon GBA ROM hacking endevors.
But first, some background:
Despite it being advertised, I have never seen music here, well i'm here to change that, and seeing how difficult GBA music hacking is I've decided to provide some .s files for you to use in your projects.
These .s files are used with Sappy, a program used for GBA music hacking. However, Sappy can be a pain to set up. So I shall provide a tutorial on how to do just that. Sappy Tut

Contributing:
Here's how you can contribute: post (or send me) your .s files

Contribution Guidelines
Spoiler:

Tips on making your song sound good/looping
Spoiler:

One last thing, expanding the amount of Direct sound instruments
1. Go into a hex editor (I recommend HXD)
2. Search for the hex string "00 C5 94 00" (without quotes)
3. Change the 5 to the true limitation of the games (12 (C in hex) for FR/LG and Emerald and 7 for R/S)

I would recommend doing this, because these files may use a lot of tracks

Now without further ado, the files

Battle themes:

Spoiler:

Overworld themes (Routes, Towns, Ect.):

Spoiler:

Encounter themes:

Spoiler:

Title Screen themes:

Spoiler:

Msc.

Spoiler:

Remember to credit the resource if you use anything, have fun! If you have any questions, feel free to post in this thread, or VM/PM me.

Contributors:
Child Amnesiac
STikER

Last edited:

Child Amnesiac

Ever changing
Years
Sorry for the double post, but:
2 Chrono Trigger themes have been added! (Lavos Core, Battle 1)
check them out in the "Battle themes" Section!

Years
Wonder why nobody started a thread like this in all those years... By the way, pretty good job at reworking those Chrono Trigger songs!
Also, do you accept any requests? If I provide you a midi, can you rework it to make it work with RSE soundfont?

Child Amnesiac

Ever changing
Years
Wonder why nobody started a thread like this in all those years... By the way, pretty good job at reworking those Chrono Trigger songs!
Also, do you accept any requests? If I provide you a midi, can you rework it to make it work with RSE soundfont?

I do take requests. VM or email me the MIDI or a link to it and I'll edit it.
Just make sure it's 7 tracks if it is going to be for R/S. If you want more (up to 12), i'll just put it in Fire Red.

Last edited:

RoadToCerulean

A Ordinary Kanto Lover
Years
Battle themes:

Spoiler:

Some personal thoughts on your Johto Trainer theme:
Spoiler:

You may compare your remix with mine here:

Child Amnesiac

Ever changing
Years
Some personal thoughts on your Johto Trainer theme:
Spoiler:

You may compare your remix with mine here:

I've tried using overdriven guitar in my tracks as well as distortion guitar, it's loud and sounds not good to me, but I guess I can try experimenting with volume.
As for bass, I have started using Sawtooth as my bass instead of electric piano. (See: The Chrono Trigger/Lufia 2 Remixes)
As for drums, I can't get it to play valid notes most of the time (Maybe because i'm using preexisting midis), and I don't know how to edit the drum track to make it sound good.
I'll try what you suggested out in my songs.

Last edited:

RoadToCerulean

A Ordinary Kanto Lover
Years
I've tried using overdriven guitar in my tracks as well as distortion guitar, it's loud and sounds not good to me, but I guess I can try experimenting with volume.
As for bass, I have started using Sawtooth as my bass instead of electric piano. (See: The Chrono Trigger/Lufia 2 Remixes)
As for drums, I can't get it to play valid notes most of the time (Maybe because i'm using preexisting midis), and I don't know how to edit the drum track to make it sound good.
I'll try what you suggested out in my songs.

Some tips for you:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Child Amnesiac

Ever changing
Years
Some tips for you:
Spoiler:

What.

RoadToCerulean

A Ordinary Kanto Lover
Years
Yeah I know. But I didn't understand a word of what you suggested to me.

1. For Tip 1, I can't explain it in a detailed way. In order to understand it, thoroughly study the vanilla midis ripped from the ROM. Think why the composers arranged the tracks in this way.

2. For Tip 2, you said you could't get the drums to play valid notes most of the time. That's because the drum pitches of the midi don't always fit the drums provided by the ROM. You should edit the drums in your midi according to the list I summed up above.

Child Amnesiac

Ever changing
Years
1. For Tip 1, I can't explain it in a detailed way. In order to understand it, thoroughly study the vanilla midis ripped from the ROM. Think why the composers arranged the tracks in this way.

2. For Tip 2, you said you could't get the drums to play valid notes most of the time. That's because the drum pitches of the midi don't always fit the drums provided by the ROM. You should edit the drums in your midi according to the list I summed up above.

For 1: I use preexisting MIDIS that I get for VGmusic.com, (See: the "Original Sequencer" field) IE, I can't choose how much I have to work with (Also I heard the MIDI has to be under 100 MB so)
For 2: I don't know how to edit notes in Anvil Studio, so i'm kinda dead on that front. (I use timpani for my drum tracks, and they sound fine)

Last edited:
Years
Okay, not long ago I made a request, but eventually I managed to make it work myself! So, here it is:

Zinnia Battle Theme
Game: Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire
Voicegroup: 6A8CBC
Original Sequencer: paterDM
Editor: STikER
Base Game: Emerald
Preview:

Download

Child Amnesiac

Ever changing
Years
Okay, not long ago I made a request, but eventually I managed to make it work myself! So, here it is:

Zinnia Battle Theme
Game: Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire
Voicegroup: 6A8CBC
Original Sequencer: paterDM
Editor: STikER
Base Game: Emerald
Preview:

Download

Sweet, i'll add it to the collection

Years
Would somebody kind enough to make or share Field of Hopes and Dreams by Toby Fox?
I am really terrible at MIDIs.

Also, can somebody teach me how to cook these .s into a ROM that has been patched with Lukee's Music Patch?
I did try to use the universal all-instrument patch but when i cooked the .s into my ROM using the all-instrument voicegroups.
Some part of the musics screeches.

Last edited:

Child Amnesiac

Ever changing
Years
Would somebody kind enough to make or share Field of Hopes and Dreams by Toby Fox?
I am really terrible at MIDIs.

Also, can somebody teach me how to cook these .s into a ROM that has been patched with Lukee's Music Patch?
I did try to use the universal all-instrument patch but when i cooked the .s into my ROM using the all-instrument voicegroups.
Some part of the musics screeches.

I don't know what to tell you on the music patches.
But, I can make a remix of Field of hopes and dreams using a preexisting midi.
To cook a .s file, you put the offset of the voicegroup your using into the "voicegroup offset" box, and a free space offset into the "base destination offset" box.

Years
I don't know what to tell you on the music patches.
But, I can make a remix of Field of hopes and dreams using a preexisting midi.
To cook a .s file, you put the offset of the voicegroup your using into the "voicegroup offset" box, and a free space offset into the "base destination offset" box.

Is there a way to create a new voicegroup?
Or reverse engineer the music patch and identify its voicegroups then create a .s file using the identified voicegroup?
Any way to insert a new music into a music patched ROM. Please, i really love Toby Fox's musics and i am willing to learn music hacks.

Child Amnesiac

Ever changing
Years
Is there a way to create a new voicegroup?
Or reverse engineer the music patch and identify its voicegroups then create a .s file using the identified voicegroup?
Any way to insert a new music into a music patched ROM. Please, i really love Toby Fox's musics and i am willing to learn music hacks.

I'm sorry man, I'm not an expert on GBA music.
Maybe you can ask on the ROM hacking help sub forum, there might be someone there who can help.

Back