• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Hack Series: Pokémon SunGold & Pokémon MoonSilver

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 14, 2024
Just in case you check the thread first and not your inbox...

I don't know if you still visit PokeCommunity, but I wanted to let you know MoonSilver doesn't work. I am not sure about SunGold, as MoonSilver was the only one at the time that I tested.

What's the issue exactly? I was able to play MoonSilver and SunGold completely. Did you patch the wrong ROM?

I just finished SunGold, right after MoonSilver, and I definitely prefer the latter. For one, Drayano's Quality-Of-Life features were kept in MoonSilver, which made grinding a better experience, though still time consuming. SunGold though, I had to use the rebattle trainer cheat, because without it, grinding would've taken a lot longer. Regular trainer rematches through PokeGear would've been a major drag. Wilds? That's the most infuriating part of this hack, the wild encounter level curve is a joke. Mt. Silver mons at a level 40 minimum? If you didn't have a whole team before say, the 4th gym, you'd have to cut corners to keep up with the buffed trainer level curve. By that, I mean that my team only consisted of 5 mons, and a sacrificial lamb, which actually helped. I barely used the rebattle trainer cheat in the Johto campaign, and used it in the Kanto part because the level curve was just too high. For the E4, it was better because it was mostly unchanged from Drayano's hack. This one has gym leaders with mixed teams, and if I went in with my team that were at least 10 levels below the E4 against mixed teams in the League, I'd suffer. At least with the E4 here, it's easier to plan and my team had mostly great coverage over each member. But the underleveled status was too much for the Kanto campaign and wild encounters were similar to vanilla HGSS, meaning they were crap, so I had to use the rebattle trainer code.

The randomized wild encounter gimmick of SunGold felt limited, like a certain amount of mons were used, whereas in MoonSilver and Drayano's hacks, it's all 493 pokemon that are obtainable. There are some mons I wish I had but couldn't, like a Chansey for Lucky Egg farming, since SunGold removed Drayano's Lucky Egg gift events. While all this gives the impression that it took me a longer time to finish SunGold than MoonSilver, surprisingly that's not the case. I finished SunGold in 20 hours according to the game. No emulator speedup. I do admit to uncapping the FPS and using those game enhancer cheats supplied in the download, same ones Drayano supplied. Same stuff used for MoonSilver, but I had a full team there and spent a little too much time farming for Lucky Eggs, that game's tougher since Drayano's hacks were used as a base. Overall it took me a little over 30 hours to finish MoonSilver, but the experience was much more fun. SunGold was aggravating. Also, Red's team doesn't feel any different in SunGold than it was in MoonSilver, and the OP gave me the impression that it would be. I was happy though that I beat Red's team without any setup move, in MoonSilver I trampled Red with 2x Dragon Dance Salamence. In SunGold, I was down to just Blastoise.

Anyway, I'll definitely replay MoonSilver, SunGold removes too much of Drayano's content, and with the other changes left in, it really exposed a major nuisance with vanilla HGSS, the damn grind. In hindsight, I probably would've finished MoonSilver quicker if I used the rebattle cheat, for Red I grinded with the cool training gauntlet in Saffron. The only problem though is that it makes training one mon at a time tough, thus the overall grinding of the team took longer. Also most of my team in MoonSilver were pseudo-legends, and their leveling rates are in the "Slow" category. Still, MoonSilver was much more fun and notably more challenging. I don't do nuzlockes by the way, SunGold definitely would've been more challenging in that format, and just speaking for myself, it would've been unplayable.

Sorry for the long rant.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Mar 29, 2020
Great hack, except when when you use the Action Replay code to make all Pokémon Shiny, the game crashes. The odd thing is that the same Shiny code works perfectly fine on the original Storm Silver.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 21, 2022
Is it normal than when my Quilava evolves in lv 46, Typhlosion appears as lv 44?

Years
  • Seen Aug 3, 2021
Looks great . What exactly is a clean rom? I tried patching it to original HG but the screen goes black after oak talk, cannot patch it to Anti P patched version. I have tried many roms , still ends up in either category. Where can I find the required file? the clean rom? pls mention link or website.
If you cant post here can you pm me?

Years
  • Seen Aug 3, 2021
Looks very interesting , started playing . How does trade evolution work? have you included alternate ways like trade stones? (if so their locations pls) or will it be via level up. Thank you

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 15, 2019
Just spent 2 hours on route 29 hunting for charmander in moonsilver, and i have not even seen 1 starter. No bulbasaur, no squirtle, nothing.. Are we sure you can encounter them there? IK i got the right game because Leer is doing dmg and stealimg held items....

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 14, 2024
Quick2Bud yes the starters are there but from experience it does take a while. The gen 1 starter are rarely encounter so. Bulbasaur is found in the morning, Charmander during the day and Squirtle during the night.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Aug 18, 2019
Hey, love the games and the Typecharts.
Noticed the Fairy vs. Steel resistance doesn't work as the .pdf states (Steelix shoudn't be Weak to Fairy Attacks)
One thing i'm stuck on if anyone can assist my search... a Cubone with the Trace ability.
Been catching them for a while now in the burned tower, got 3 thick clubs and 100% of them have Battle Armour.
Noticed that Trace is mentioned in the newer .pdf but its down as Battle Armour for BOTH of its abilities in the older Pokemon changes .pdf
There's not a mini-patch anywhere i missed? No big deal, can live without a Tracer Cubone

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 26, 2023
If anyone can help it would be awesome. I know this is based off of dray's SGSS series I was just curious if the shiny rate is the same as them. Thank you

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2023
Would there be any way you could make up a rom with just the fairies injected and no other type changes?

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 31, 2022
anyway to get Flash TM 70 again? Deleted original and Goldenrod does not stock it.

or anyone know where to find voltbeat? only mon that learns flash by level up
unless this rom hack changed and another mon learns it too.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 31, 2022
Just spent 2 hours on route 29 hunting for charmander in moonsilver, and i have not even seen 1 starter. No bulbasaur, no squirtle, nothing.. Are we sure you can encounter them there? IK i got the right game because Leer is doing dmg and stealimg held items....

I only encountered Charmander's in mine. Prob a 5-10% chance. Saw many. You also get one in Goldenrod Poke Center.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 31, 2022
anyway to get Flash TM 70 again? Deleted original and Goldenrod does not stock it.

or anyone know where to find voltbeat? only mon that learns flash by level up
unless this rom hack changed and another mon learns it too.

Well I found Volbeat at the bug catching contest on Thursdays. Caught one and had it relearn flash.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 14, 2020
I can't patch it, keeps saying "XD3_INVALID_INPUT", I guess my clean version of soul silver doesn't match with de delta file, can anyone provide a valid .nds file of Soul Silver?
I tried Emuparadise, but they removed the pokemon roms

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Nov 20, 2020
I can't patch it, keeps saying "XD3_INVALID_INPUT", I guess my clean version of soul silver doesn't match with de delta file, can anyone provide a valid .nds file of Soul Silver?
I tried Emuparadise, but they removed the pokemon roms

Same for me. I successfully patched Sacred Gold by Drayano with a clean HG rom, and tried patching MoonSilver with a clean SS rom. Didn't work (had the same message "XD3_INVALID_INPUT"). Tried patching with a clean HG rom (downloaded from the same place as the one i used to patch SG), and the message popped up again. Plz help us~~

Last edited:

PokeWolfie70

PokeWolfie
Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen Jul 16, 2020
How do I download the rom? I can't seem to find out how so I need a bit of help.

Years
  • Age 53
  • Seen Mar 27, 2020
Hi, where can i find Exp. Share? I go to the Violet's Pokémon Center and nobody in there gave me.Help pleasee :(

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 5, 2020
Okay so I have beaten red, beaten the elite 4 twice... where is Steven Stone??? (Moonsilver) hes not in pewter or saffron...

Back