• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] The Monotype Challenge Re:Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen May 5, 2021
The adventure of Sylvain the Gardener IV

Spoiler:

My team
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 16, 2023
Forum User Name:
Game(s): Alpha Sapphire
Pokémon Type: Flying
Single/Ultimate: Single

I actually already started the challenge.

My team so far:

Beautifly lv22 [Met in Route 101 @lvl2 as a wurmple]
Stun Spore - Mega Drain - Struggle Bug - Air Cutter.

Wingull lv22 [Met in Route 104 @lvl5 as a wingull]
Water pulse - Water gun - Quick Attack - Air Cutter

Swellow lv24 [Met in Route 104 @lvl5 as a taillow]
Aerial Ace - Steel Wing - Wing Attack - Quick Attack

Nincada lvl19 [Met in Route 116 @lvl6 as a nincada]
Fury Swipes - Mud-Slap - Leech Life - Cut

Magikarp lvl18 [Met in Dewford Town (using old rod) @lvl10 as a magikarp]
Splash - Tackle

Zubat lvl19 [Met in Granite Cave @lvl9 as a zubat]
Leech Life - Wing Attack - Confuse Ray - Bite

I defeated the first three gym leaders so far:
- Roxanne: Wingull defeated geodude but fainted agains't nosepass. Beautifly finished the job with absorb.
- Brawly: I don't remember very well who defeated who. But I think I used beautifly and taillow.
- Wattson: I defeated him using Nincada. But as Nincada only had mud-slap as a super-effective move It took some time plus I had to switch because of the annoying supersonic. This might be considered a little bit cheating as nincada isn't flying type (not yet at least) but the other pokemon I had couldn't have defeated wattson unless they were too overleveled.

Defeating wattson is the last thing I did so far, so I am now outside the gym.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 40
  • Seen today
Bug Ultimate Round 2​
Generation II: Gold

Meant to post this yesterday - but kept having troubles. I did make more progress, which I'll post later tonight.

Today's Steps:
  1. Figure out which starter to pick.
  2. Find out all the learnset of the Pokemon I can get during the course of game.
  3. Rush through the intro and catch first Pokemon.
  4. Train up in preparation of the Violet City Gym.

Step One: Figure out which starter to pick.
I had decided a long time ago that I was going to rotate starters. So, I used a randomizer to give me 10 numbers from the digits 1, 2, and 3. Whichever showed up the most is what I picked. This time, it turned out to be Totodile. (Side note: This means that Gen 3 is going to start with my taking Fire, and I'll just keep rotating Grass -> Water -> Fire.)

Step Two: Find out all the learnset of the Pokemon I can get during the course of game.
So, there are two groups of Pokemon that I can get during the run of the game. One group is the standard ones that I can find wild, while the other group is coming from the Bug Catching Contest. I for certain am going to get the ones in the wild; the Bug Catching Contest is a little bit more up in the air. I'm working on figuring out which one I want, given by that time I'll only have three Pokemon.

Group 1: Wild
Caterpie - Route 30
Spinarak - Route 30
Paras - Ilex Forest
Yanma - Route 35
Shuckle - Cianwood CIty
Venonat - Route 43

Forests - Headbutt:
Pineco (Ilex Forest)

Mountains - Headbutt:
Heracross

Group 2: Bug Catching Contest
Weedle
Scyther
Pinsir

(I can't get: Ledyba.)

What this is telling me is that the following is my basic plan of attack through the first Bug Catching Contest I come upon (which will probably be Saturday, since I'm not likely to make it there today):
  • Catch Spinarak (I did this last night) on Route 30.
  • Catch Caterpie on Route 30.
  • Defeat Faulkner. Badge #1. Team will only be Spinarak/Caterpie (or rather, Spinarak/Butterfree, since Spinarak has to be level 22 to evolve and I know Butterfree will be at least 10.)
  • Defeat Bugsy. Badge #2. Team will likely be Ariados/Butterfree. I might get there before with a high level Spinarak, but I will probably find it easier as Ariados.
  • Catch Paras in Ilex Forest. (Do some training to level it up - then it'll probably be Parasect.)
  • Defeat Whitney. Badge #3. Team is likely to be Ariados/Butterfree/Parasect.
  • Complete Bug Catching Contest and either get Scyther or Pinsir.
  • Teach Scyther/Pinsir Headbutt.
  • Return to Ilex Forest and use Headbutt to hunt for Pineco.

By that point, my team will be: Ariados, Butterfree, Pineco (since it takes to 31 to evolve to Forrestress), Scyther/Pinsir, and Parasect.

Step Three: Rush through the intro and catch first Pokemon.
Blah blah - Elm wants me to do some stuff for him. I take Totodile, name it "ToYourBox", knowing it's not going to last long. Rush through the intro and beat down my rival. Got back to Elm's place and totally forgot to talk to him after the police leave. I was like "uh...I'm missing pokeballs". Went back and got them, and realized I was smurt (not smart, but smurt) by starting at night, so I could catch a Spinarak and truly start the bug run. Then, knowing Bug are physical in this gen, I start wailing on Rattata in Route 29, because those have the best Attack Stat Experience.

Step Four: Train up in preparation for Violet City Gym.
Had Spinarak to level 6 last night before going to sleep. Woke up and caught myself a Caterpie, and started to work on training that the same as I did for the Spinarak. Got them both to level 7 (obviously with my Caterpie evolving to Metapod), and made my way up and around to reach Violet City, defeating trainers and such as I went. I definitely want to focus on training more than I did in Gen 1; there, I was just trying to power my way through except when needed to stop and train. Here, I want to be very smart about training, ensuring I'm working on fighting the best Pokemon for Attack training.

You can thank my wife for the names. Sort of.

Current Team​
Spinarak / RyanStiles
Lv 8
HP 26
Atk 15 / Def 13
Spcl Atk 13 / Spcl Def 13
Speed 11
Poison String
String Shot
Scary Face

Metapod / HesBack
Lv 7
HP 26
Atk 9 / Def 14
Spcl Atk 9 / Spcl Def 9
Speed 9
Tackle
String Shot
Harden

Years
  • Age 40
  • Seen today
Bug Ultimate Round 2 - Update #2

Generation II: Gold​

Note: Turns out my last post was long enough that it got stuck in moderation. Thanks to the mods for getting that resolved! While waiting, I debated on holding off on progress, but knowing I wanted to keep going as I still have five more generations after this, I went ahead and continued making progress.

Accomplishments Until This Morning:
  • Went after the Sprout Tower. It wasn't too much of a challenge. I went as far as I could with Spinarak, then switched over to Butterfree. Had no trouble.
  • Went up against the Violet City Gym. Wasn't too bad. There was no way my Spinarak was going to go up against Faulkner without trouble, but I did get a Poison Sting off, thankfully giving it Poison. Then I switched over to Butterfree and spammed Confusion. Only took one try.
  • Moved down, completely bypassing the Ruins of Alph, and worked my way through the cave. I accidentally got seen by the spinner just on the south side of the cave by Azalea. Wiped to it - but thankfully, there's that Poke Center where you enter the cave. Skipped that trainer. Didn't feel like dealing with it.
  • Cleared out the Team Rocket grunts in the Well.
  • Challenged the Azalea Gym. I had no clue how well a Bug Trainer versus a Bug Leader would work - not really that bad, actually. I've been making sure to beat all the trainers in the gyms. Spinarak had, by this point, learned Constrict, which did more than Poison Sting since many of the mons used in the gym had the dual type of Poison.
  • Bugsy was a pushover. I let Spinarak defeat the Metapod and Kakuna to soak up that sweet XP, and then switched over to Butterfree for Scyther. Then, of course, it was "Death by Confusion".
  • Silver wasn't that bad to fight - I used Confusion for Gastly and Zubat, but then switched over and used Poison Sting for Bayleef.
  • Went into Ilex Forest and got that Farfetch'd thing out of the way, and was planning to run around until I found a Paras, but I got one during the runaround with Farfetch'd. I spent some time leveling it up, debating about whether or not I wanted to teach it Cut or get a HM Slave, then decided I wanted to try and use the new generation's Pokemons more than the others. So, I'll hopefully be focusing a little more on Spinarak and, eventually, Pineco once I finish the Bug Catching Contest.
  • Finished the forest and made my way to Goldenrod. Time to go after Gym 3.

I'm so fearing Whitney's Miltank. Even my wife, who has only played Gen 6 and 7, knows of the dreaded Rollout-athon. She said she knew of it from TV Tropes. That's just sad. My wife, by the way, thought Gen 1 was ugly to look at but thinks Gen 2 is actually "playable". Oh, if only she knew.

I will keep you up to date about how the fight went.

Once I stop crying.

Attachments

• Gen 2 - 01 - After Gym 2.png
    Gen 2 - 01 - After Gym 2.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 12
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen May 5, 2021
The adventure of Sylvain the Gardener V

Spoiler:

My team
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
Janna was anxious to get out of Ilex Forest. She wasn't fond of bugs, after all. Her trusty Wooper, Claude, took the lead, excited to show off his capabilities and make himself more useful than in their battle against her rival. She dashed forward as fast as possible to exit the forest and found herself in route 34, where several trainers were waiting in expectation of a challenger. Granting their wishes, she charged straight to battle! Claude did an impeccable job showing off just how dependable he was, even if Janna did switch him out against an opponent's Bulbasaur to ensure his safety.

Healing her Pokémon at the Pokémon Center, she decided to avoid the gym for now, as something told her she may not have been ready quite yet. Whitney's Miltank had a reputation for being tough, and she wanted to be ready.

She'd heard from a local that the Goldenrod Tunnel was a popular spot for Pokémon haircuts and battles alike, so she followed a sign and proceeded down the stairs. The tunnel was lit up, but still oddly creepy. Although the haircut professionals were not around for the day, there she encountered several trainers eager to test their skills against her, though none were a match against her trusty Wooper. Claude had taken charge so many times, he found himself changing shape and turning into Quagsire. Hooray! Janna decided she'd pick up TM Ice Punch for him soon, though not quite yet. She decided she wanted to go against Whitney without any TM moves.

Although two of her team members were now evolved, she still wanted to get some last-minute training before heading to challenge the gym leader. Continuing north to route 35, she faced many more battles. She was especially happy to faint a trainer's two Magmar, knowing it would net her a lot of experience. In the process, Lysithea gained several levels and Marianne even learned Bite. After an exhausting day of training, she decided she was ready. Making her way back to Goldenrod, she wasted no time healing her party and entering the gym.

After quick knockouts of Whitney's gym trainers, she challenged the leader herself. Clefairy and Miltank both were no match for Marianne and Claude. With that, she earned her third gym badge!

The team:

195.gif

Claude ♂ Lv. 22
Water Gun, Tail Whip, Slam

60.gif

Lysithea ♀ Lv. 24
Bubble, Hypnosis, Water Gun, Doubleslap

159.gif

Marianne ♀ Lv. 24
Scratch, Bite, Rage, Water Gun​

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen May 5, 2021
The adventure of Sylvain the Gardener VI

Spoiler:

My team
Spoiler:

Years
Janna was proud of herself for earning her third badge, staring at her badge case in admiration. She knew she could count on her team to pull through.

Remembering the strange-looking moving tree north of Goldenrod, she headed to the flower shop just next door to the gym as the little girl she saw at the time suggested. There, she saw the familiar-looking face and someone who looked to be an elder sibling. Flashing her newly-obtained badge, the sibling gasped in surprise, and handed her a Squirtbottle.

Would this little bottle really be the key to getting the tree out of the way, Janna wondered? There was only one way to find out. Healing her team and heading up through the National Park, she saw that same tree, once again unmoving. Pulling out the Squirtbottle she recently received, she sprayed it. The tree shook and jumped! Janna threw out a Poké Ball in nervous panic, sending out Claude. He took charge and attacked the Pokémon her Pokédex identified as Sudowoodo with a Water Gun, taking down a little over half of its HP. She took a moment to think, deciding she wanted to capture it. She had no plans to use it on her team since she loved her water types, but perhaps it would become useful for other reasons.

It retaliated with a Rock Throw and several Flails, which brought Claude down to lower HP than she would have liked. She wasted no time throwing a spare Great Ball. The ball shook three times, and clicked. Whoo! That capture wasn't too hard.

Accepting thanks of nearby people who couldn't proceed because of the tree, she continued north and battled some trainers on the way. As soon as she arrived in Ecruteak she saw the Pokémon Center just a little ways up ahead, and dashed to get her party healed. Her trip to the center took longer than she anticipated because she got tied up in conversation with someone named Bill, who apparently lived in Goldenrood. She considered paying him a visit at some point, but not for a while.

Observing the historical city, she saw what looked like a burned tower. It was a bit creepy, which made her reluctant to go inside. She decided to pass on exploring it for now. Instead, Janna headed west, where she was greeted with many trainers ready to battle. Lysithea was anxious to prove herself this time. Her tail wagged excitedly. After a few more successful battles, she began to glow. Janna pumped her fist in the air in excitement at seeing her new Poliwhirl.

Defeating a large group of trainers made her and her party feel super strong. Marianne, Claude, and Lysithea shared a new connection with each other now that they had all experienced evolution. This deepened their bonds even further. Janna met her grumpy rival once more in Olivine, picked up the Good Rod, and headed back, feeling more confident in exploring that creepy burned building she saw in Ecruteak.

Entering, she felt a bit more nervous again, noticing how it looked like everything would fall apart any moment now. However, Claude beckoned her to keep going, so she did. Heading clockwise and defeating some wild Pokémon along the way, she once again spotted that familiar red hair. Wasn't Silver at Olivine just a few moments ago? She supposed they both headed to the same place after that. He noticed her and smirked, and Janna knew what she had to do. She tossed one of her Poké Balls and initiated battle. Her trio of water types, one after the other, showed both her and Silver just how strong they had become, and even the Bayleef that was once a problem no longer posed as big a threat. She smiled, happy to have won. Silver, on the other hand, was anything but happy.

But whoops! In her excitement, she took a misstep and the tile beneath her feet cracked. She fell through. She remembered hearing Silver snicker and disappear from the hole above upon landing, rubbing her hips in pain. Luckily it wasn't a big fall. But whoa, what was that? She blinked, wondering if she was seeing things. There were three beautiful Pokémon just in front of her. She got up and tried to approach them, but they immediately fled, with the blue one gazing sharply at her for a second or two before disappearing.

That was....an experience. She wondered if she would ever see those Pokémon again. For some reason, that brief glance made her feel stronger than ever, and she felt ready to take on the gym.

Morty's Gengar was more trouble than she expected with its Hypnosis, but, as she expected, she claimed victory thanks to Claude's Dig and Marianne's Bite. What a fun battle, she thought. She shook hands with the ghost gym leader and prepared to move on.

The team:

195.gif

Claude ♂ Lv. 25
Surf, Dig, Slam, Ice Punch

61.gif

Lysithea ♀ Lv. 29
Surf, Hypnosis, Water Gun, Ice Punch

159.gif

Marianne ♀ Lv. 26
Surf, Bite, Ice Punch, Water Gun​

Years
Four badges down, four to go. Janna couldn't have felt more pumped. She exited Morty's gym while holding tightly onto her badge case, admiring her shiny badges. She glanced both left and right of the town, wondering which way she should go next. Something seemed to pull her east, though, so she caved in to her gut feeling and decided she would exit Ecruteak through the east gate. For a brief moment, she could have sworn she heard voice in her head tell her that she had already explored west first many a time.

...But wait! She'd almost forgotten about a Pokémon she planned to capture since the beginning. Stopping herself from going further, she spun around and ran west. Her team of three was already very reliable, but she wanted to befriend even more Pokémon. Dashing to Olivine and picking up a Good Rod, she headed down to the harbor. There was no boat docked there, but a cruise trip wasn't what she was looking for. Settling into a quiet, comfortable spot, she dipped the fishing line into the water. A few moments passed, and she got no response. Then, all of a sudden, a really strong shake was felt! She pulled on her rod roughly, and reeled in a blue and yellow Pokémon. It was adorable, and exactly what she was looking for. It was Chinchou!

It landed on the docks and hopped around nervously, wanting to get back into the water. Janna quickly sent out Lysithea, not wanting to let it get away. She commanded her partner to use Water Gun several times, careful not to faint it. She then readied her Lure Ball and threw it. It shook three times and clicked. Hooray, a successful capture! Janna decided to name him Ignatz. She could tell from his personality during battle that he was shy and not too confident, but still seemed like a hard worker.

She decided Ignatz needed more training, being the weakest member on her team. Teaching him HM Surf like the rest of her party, she headed back to Ecruteak and went through the east gate, surfing past the water and moving on to the next town. She battled trainers along the way, netting Ignatz quite a bit of experience. After healing her Pokémon in Mahogany, she went up and battled more wild encounters and trainers. Ignatz eventually learned Spark, and she now felt more ready to tackle the many water types she will inevitably soon meet. After another few battles, Ignatz flailed his fins about and started to glow. He evolved into Lanturn!

After some time training, she noticed a strange influx of Team Rocket members. What were they doing here? As if on cue she heard a heavy sound of what sounded like splashing of water, so she continued to the Lake of Rage. There, she saw a furious red Gyarados thrashing about. Jumping on Ignatz and surfing to the Gyarados, she combatted and fainted it with Spark. The poor thing shook its head, seeming relieved to be rid of whatever pain it was in.

Afterwards she met Lance, who admired her battle from afar and urged her to help him defeat Team Rocket in their headquarters. She didn't want them to hurt any more Pokémon like this, so she immediately agreed. The two infiltrated their hideout and, with help from Ignatz and Claude, emerged victorious. She thanked Lance, expecting to see him again not too long in the future.

It was then time for the gym. Janna placed Lysithea into the first slot of her party, hoping to strengthen her even more. However, the matchup against this gym's Seel and Dewgong teams did not seem to pair well with her moveset, so she swapped back to Ignatz. He defeated each trainer without fail, and his confidence seemed to bud with each battle.

It was then time for the ice-cold gym leader Pryce to accept her challenge. Ignatz was happy to put his Spark to use against his water types, but was swapped out for Lysithea when Piloswine was sent in. Her Surf made quick work of Piloswine. Pryce handed her TM Icy Wind and his gym badge in recognition of her strength.

The team:

171.gif

Ignatz ♂ Lv. 29
Surf, Spark, Thunder Wave, Water Gun

159.gif

Marianne ♀ Lv. 29
Surf, Bite, Ice Punch, Water Gun

61.gif

Lysithea ♀ Lv. 29
Surf, Hypnosis, Water Gun, Ice Punch

195.gif

Claude ♂ Lv. 30
Surf, Dig, Slam, Ice Punch​

Years
I have decided to return to my Ultimate Monotype challenge with Fighting types, which I left 2 years ago. I said I would come back last year, but it didn't happen xP. Hopefully this time I won't stop like last time.

The current situation is:

Yellow, HeartGold, Sigma Σmerald, Platinum, White 2, X, Ultra Sun.

So I beat 3 games already, and have 3 badges in Platinum, so quite in the middle of the challenge I guess. I can't believe it's been two years, time flies. From what I remember, I had a blast with HeartGold, having to go with only Poliwag for a while and then adding some more cool members; and Sigma Emerald was a fun hack to play as well with a very tough Elite Four. In Yellow thank god Poliwrath is available. Fighting types are generally not very fast and force you to think a lot while playing. I also try not to abuse Revives or that sort of items. Current team in Platinum, after the third update and a bit more play I had, is this:

Spoiler:

Number of Badges: 3.

Current Location: Pastoria City.

Number of losses: 0.

Time to teach some moves to Croagunk and aim for the next two badges. Hopefully I don't stop this time!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: I have gone on with the game!

4. Pokémon Platinum Fighting Monotype update No. 4: Very dumb AI!

I explored the annoying marsh route, getting Croagunk up to the level he had to be to reach his partners, and after that I went back to Veilstone to battle Maylene.

So, battle for the 4th badge! Machoke beat Meditite with a few Paybacks, then Croagunk destroyed Lucario with Revenge after her Metal Claw. Gallade with Psycho Cut beat the remaining Machoke, so relatively easy fight!

After Maylene I went to immediately challenge the fifth Gym in Pastoria, now that I had Fly. There my rival was waiting for me. As always, the Staravia proved to be troublesome and destroyed Machoke with 2 Wing Attacks, but Gallade took it down. Apart from that, easy, Gallade beat Prinplup with Leaf Blade, and Monferno won against the remaining Ponyta and Roselia... But he had a lv 36 Pokémon and my strongest Pokémon was lv 33, so a bit scary...

I grinded I tiny bit to get lv 34 for everyone, and then made Crasher Wake's gym. BTW really like the gym puzzles of the game, much better than current challenges in my opinion... Anyways, time to battle Wake! I remember him having a Gyarados, and I had no electric moves for him, so I expected quite the struggle... I started with Croagunk wanting to sacrifice it and eat the Intimidate, but he was stupid and used Waterfall all the time! Croagunk has Dry Skin, so Waterfall heals it. What is this AI Game Freak? After running out of them he used Twister, but he was already too weak, having even used an Hyper Potion. His last move before fainting was Brine, healing Croagunk again xD. Quagsire was free with Monferno's Grass Knot, and Machoke, needing healing after a critical Brine, beat Floatzel with 2 Revenges (thankfully he went for Aqua Jet in the turn I healed). So again a fairly easy Gym battle for me. Now after following the Galactic Grunt it's time to heal the Psyduck with the Potion Cynthia gave me.

Current Team:

Spoiler:

Number of Badges: 5.

Current Location: Driftveil City.

Last edited:
Years
Janna hopped on her bike and cycled back to Ecruteak, where she took a bit of time to admire the scenery. She then looked over at her set of Poké Balls, considering what Pokémon she wanted to capture and train next. Johto had an abundance of water types, and she sometimes found herself unsure of what to pick. Deciding to think on it later, she healed her team at the Pokémon Center and cycled back to Olivine.

She had yet to explore the Lighthouse, having decided to put it off until she was ready to head to Cianwood. Entering the building, she shuddered a bit at how cold it was compared to the outdoors. Not far up the stairs, a trainer awaited her, Poké Balls at the ready. She took out one of her own, accepting the challenge. Claude volunteered to take charge, feeling a sudden desire to show off.

She continued climbing up the tower with Claude at her side, who continued defeating trainer upon trainer. Janna could tell he was getting stronger, and even moves that were not very effective ended up doing hefty damage to his opponents. She was proud.

After the defeat of many trainers, she made it to the top. There, she saw a small table with bowls as well as a soft bed nearby. In the center of the room was a girl and a cute yellow Pokémon. Janna wished she could have used one on her team, but this was not the time.

She went up to the girl, who begged for her help to cure the sick Lighthouse Pokémon. The yellow creature sneezed and looked downwards, dizzy and upset. Janna immediately nodded, unable to watch the poor thing suffer any longer. She took a shortcut to exit the Lighthouse, hopped on Ignatz, whose turn it was to battle, and surfed along the water towards Cianwood. She had heard there was a doctor there who made very strong and desirable medicines.

Training at the Lighthouse caused Claude to grow several levels, and he was now the strongest member on her team. Janna decided Ignatz would be the best counter against all the water types that would be found in this area. Occasionally she made the switch to Lysithea when battling, as she was feeling slightly grumpy about being left out. She was happy being able to take down opponents of her same type, even if Lysithea did get unlucky when battling a Seaking's Supersonic and hurting herself in confusion several times. It's okay, Janna thought aloud. She'd heal her up and everything would be fine.

Marianne participated in a battle as well, and even evolved as a result! She was such a big Pokémon now, but still as friendly as always. Janna hugged her new evolved team member and returned her to her Poké Ball.

Upon arrival, she examined every house in the small town, until eventually she stumbled upon a small hut south near a rocky wall. The man inside understood what to do when hearing her explanation almost immediately, and handed her a Secretpotion. The bag was light, but gave off a unique smell. Janna thanked him and exited.

Deciding to explore north a bit, she once again ran into Eusine, a man who was desperate to hunt down the legendary Pokémon called Suicune. He challenged her, and with Claude's help, the team emerged victorious. She then proceeded to the Cianwood gym, where the fighting types were no match against Lysithea's powerful Surf. Chuck himself struggled to put a dent in her party's HP - both Primeape and Poliwrath went down in two hits.

Janna wondered when she'd get a Water Stone for her Poliwhirl, too.

Proudly exiting, she was stopped by a middle-aged woman who took notice of her big grin and badge case. As a reward for obtaining this town's gym badge, she was rewarded with HM Fly. Now she could fly to previously-visited towns without taking the long way. Hooray! She withdrew Hoothoot from her PC and taught it the move. She then flew back to Olivine after healing her team. Upon arrival, she stopped to ponder how Hoothoot could even carry someone as large as her across this distance. Oh well.

There was one thing left to do now. Janna climbed back up to the top of the Lighthouse, and offered Jasmine the Secretpotion. She quickly mixed some in with the sick Pokémon's food, and its tail happily lit up. The healing was a success! Janna suggested Jasmine to go to the Pokémon Center next time as she prepared to exit.

Following the girl out and healing her team, she shuffled her party around to battle handle Jasmine's steel types. Janna decided to lead with Ignatz, who was offering his help to take down her two Magnemite. They were a breeze. When Jasmine sent out Steelix Janna decided to counter with Lysithea. She felt she had to use her in battle even more, as she was now the only party member who was not yet fully evolved. The poor thing was feeling a little self-conscious and wanted to prove that she was still very useful despite being in her middle form. And she was! Jasmine's Steelix went down with two Surfs, and Janna received TM Iron Tail as a reward.

She now had 7 badges. What an incredible feat in such a short amount of time, she thought. She thanked Jasmine for the battle and left the gym, only to get a phone call from Professor Elm. Apparently, the radio had been broadcasting information on Team Rocket. What in the world was going on?

The team:

171.gif

Ignatz ♂ Lv. 32
Surf, Spark, Thunder Wave, Water Gun

61.gif

Lysithea ♀ Lv. 32
Surf, Hypnosis, Strength, Ice Punch

160.gif

Marianne ♀ Lv. 32
Surf, Bite, Ice Punch, Water Gun

195.gif

Claude ♂ Lv. 33
Surf, Dig, Slam, Ice Punch​

Years
Janna had some things she wanted to quickly do before heading over to Goldenrod, one of which was in this very area. She had thought long and hard on how she wanted to build her team, and finally decided on a fifth party member. She released Claude out of his Poké Ball and asked him to Surf with her along the edges of the water of Olivine. Less than a minute later, a bubble formed on the water and Tentacool jumped out! Janna immediately commanded Claude to weaken the Pokémon with Surf and then Water Gun. She then threw an Ultra Ball before it could retaliate with too many attacks, and captured it successfully. She decided to name him Lorenz.

Then, she suddenly remembered she had the Red Scale in her inventory. She recalled hearing from someone that Mr. Pokémon liked to collect rare items related to Pokémon, so she figured she'd pay him a visit. His eyes sparkled when she entered his home, and he offered to trade his Exp. Share for the Red Scale Janna was carrying. She happily agreed, having no use for the scale herself. She gave the Exp. Share she had just received to the newly-caught Lorenz. Lastly, she flew to Mahogany and headed north, speaking with the gatekeeper. Thanking her for driving Team Rocket from the Lake of Rage, he handed her TM Sludge Bomb. She taught this move to Lorenz, knowing he would make good use of it.

Finally ready, Janna hopped on her bird Pokémon and made the flight to Goldenrod, where she saw many Team Rocket grunts loitering and harassing passersby. She gasped. They had to be stopped! She rushed towards the Radio Tower, where even more grunts were wandering about, threatening everyone to stay indoors and not make a sound. She huffed angrily, and challenged them with her team. She rotated her party, being careful to give everyone an equal amount of experience while Lorenz stayed on the sidelines to earn some shared experience. He was growing steadily.

Defeating everyone that stood in her way, she climbed the stairs and was met with the director....or not? He revealed himself to be an impostor and immediately challenged her to battle. Not showing any mercy, Janna made quick work of him, and he flinched, knowing he could not stand up to her. He handed her the Basement Key and directed her to the underground, knowing he couldn't do anything to stop her and her team.

When in the underground she unlocked the closed door, and was immediately met with her rival. He grunted and challenged her, desiring to show her his newfound strength. Although the critical hit from his Meganium's Razor Leaf was a slight bother, Janna managed to take the win thanks to her team's trusty Ice Punch. He looked down at his feet and muttered something about lacking love and trust, then exited the area. Janna felt a little bad for him, but continued on.

She challenged some grunts along the way and pressed some buttons to shuffle around which doors were opened and closed. When making her way to the end of the basement, she defeated who looked to be the last Rocket grunt in the area before meeting up with the real director. He thanked her, and handed her a Key Card for the locked room in the Radio Tower. This sure was a lot of back-and-forth.

Janna felt tired, but she went back anyway after healing her team. There was yet another grunt waiting for her when she entered, and Janna defeated his Raticate with Claude's power. Then, Lorenz began glowing. He evolved into Tentacruel! Another evolution to add to the list. This made Janna even more excited to pick up her final party member.

Deeper in the Radio Tower, she was now being challenged by admins rather than grunts. They were stronger, but still no match for her. The final admin was adamant to take her down, but sadly his Houndour and Houndoom were bad matchups against her water team. Gritting his teeth in frustration at the loss, he considered the operation disbanded and ran off with his teammates. The Radio Tower had now been freed of Team Rocket's takeover.

Oh, it was the director again! He ran up and bowed profusely in thanks once again, and gave her the Clear Bell. Apparently, it had connections to the Bell Tower in Ecruteak, and he suggested Janna go there. However, she decided to put it off until later, too excited about the prospects of earning her eighth badge. She hopped on her bird Pokémon and flew to Mahogany.

Many more strong trainers awaited her on the east route. A trainer even attempted to use Solarbeam on her Pokémon, but she did not let it complete its charge before fainting the Bellossom with Lysithea's Ice Punch. She shivered as she entered the Ice Path, feeling like a popsicle the entire way through. Fortunately, Lysithea was taught HM Strength to help out for this very reason.

Finally, she made it out, rubbing her shoulders and absorbing the afternoon sun. She healed her team at the Blackthorn Pokémon Center and headed south to train. Janna was happy to encounter so many trainers and strengthen her team in preparation for the strong dragon-type gym leader. Finally, she took down every trainer she could find, and returned to the city, heading to the gym.

There, dragon trainers awaited her. She struggled slightly against the foe's Dratini; being hit with Thunder Wave and Dragon Rage was not fun. The Dragonair deeper into the maze proved to be an even bigger challenge with their increased bulk. Still, she emerged victorious. Making her way to Clair, the two locked eyes. It was time for a battle.

She sent out Dragonair, who was met with Janna's Marianne. Thunder Wave unfortunately paralyzed Marianne off the bat, but Janna managed to get the knockout with Ice Punch. Clair countered with another Dragonair, which took advantage of the paralysis and fainted Marianne with Thunderbolt. Janna thanked Marianne for her hard work and recalled her, sending out Claude. He worked hard and defeated the remaining two Dragonair with Ice Punch.

Kingdra was the last Pokémon remaining, and Janna was a bit anxious. She decided to swap to Ignatz and use the paralysis strategy herself thanks to her own Thunder Wave. Kingdra avoided the first hit, but couldn't prevent the status effect on the second. Janna ordered Ignatz to attack with Spark as it proceeded to try and Hyper Beam her while paralyzed, giving her an opening to attack during turns where it needed to recharge. In the end, she emerged victorious! Normally she would have been happy, but Clair refused to hand her the badge and instead ordered her to take a trial at the Dragon's Den behind the gym.

Janna pulled her sleeves back, ready to take on this challenge.

The team:

160.gif

Marianne ♀ Lv. 35
Surf, Bite, Ice Punch, Whirlpool

73.gif

Lorenz ♂ Lv. 34
Surf, Sludge Bomb, Bubblebeam, Acid

61.gif

Lysithea ♀ Lv. 35
Surf, Hypnosis, Strength, Ice Punch

195.gif

Claude ♂ Lv. 35 @ Amulet Coin
Surf, Earthquake, Slam, Ice Punch

171.gif

Ignatz ♂ Lv. 35
Surf, Spark, Thunder Wave, Waterfall​

Years
Let's post another update! Not very big one but with a lot of side things done.

Yellow, HeartGold, Sigma Σmerald, Platinum, White 2, X, Ultra Sun.

4. Pokémon Platinum Fighting Monotype update No. 5: Evolving the team.

So, it was time to go to Celestic Town. On the way there, Monferno evolved into Infernape! When I arrived at the town, I faced Cyrus, Team Galactic boss.

Sneasel was free with Fighting-types, Gallade destroyed the Golbat, and Infernape outsped and beat Murkrow with Close Combat. Very easy, I expected Murkrow to be tougher but he was outsped so no problems at all.

j08pFf5.png

I got the Surf HM and with it I went to explore the world! Gosh, I didn't remember there were patches of water in nearly every route in this game! In that process my team leveled up a bit, and Croagunk evolved into Toxicroak! So, after all this was done, it was finally time to head to Canalave City, where of course my rival was waiting for me.

Staraptor was annoying as always, he left Toxicroak weakened and beat Machoke, but Infernape outsped it and finished the job. Empoleon won vs Toxicroak, this time no dumb AI and no Water moves, he had Aerial Ace to finish me off and made good use of it. Infernape again did the job with Close Combat. Heracross VS Heracross, mine was faster and won with a single Aerial Ace. Finally, Gallade with a few Psycho Cuts won VS Rapidash and Roserade.

After the battle, I went to Iron Island to get my sixth Pokémon, the Riolu egg Riley gives you! I spent some time hatching it, and now I have Riolu! Time now to go for the sixth gym battle.

OujRpS4.png

Current Team:

Spoiler:

Number of Badges: 5.

Current Location: Canalave City.

Last edited:

Yungbossawott

ybwott
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 21, 2022
Forum User Name: Yungbossawott
Game(s): Pokémon Red (on my calculator lol)
Pokémon Type: Flying
————————————————————
Planned Team: Charizard, Gyarados, Dodrio, Butterfree, Zapdos, Articuno (yeah it might be a little OP using the legendary birds)

Kyuuji

Gold himself?
Years
Quick update on my journey!

I quickly realized how hard the journey was going to be when i figured out the only pokemon I could catch early that were poison type were Zubat, Ekans, Bellsprout and Gastly. I didn't catch a bellsprout because I'm looking into catching a Oddish instead! Falkner was a hard battle, I whited out twice, since my Ekans was the only pokemon who knew a decent move (Bite) and Falkner's Pidgeotto took it out immediately with a crit! Anyways, after another white out and a little grind, I made My Zubat learn Bite and I defeated Falkner's Pidgeotto!

My current team looks like this:

Zubat♀️ (Rouge) Lv.14
- Leech Life
- Supersonic
- Astonish
- Bite
---------------------------------
Gastly ♂️ (Nappy) Lv.12
- Hypnosis
- Lick
- Spite
- Curse
Ekans ♀️ (Jessie) Lv.12
- Wrap
- Glare
- Poison Sting
- Bite

Kyuuji

Gold himself?
Years
I can say that I have successfully completed the challenge by defeating Lance! I am still debating on whether or not I should do Kanto, but I'll take a pause for now. It was a pretty interesting challenge, but a little anticlimatic at the end, my Nappy (Gengar) Shadow Ball'ed his way through Will, my Arthur (Nidoking) Fire Blast'ed his way through Koga and Karen wasn't much of a challenge with Focus Blast. Lance himself was pretty easy until the Dragonites came along. I took care of his Gyarados and his Aerodactyl easily with my Gengar's Thunder, I took his Charizard out with my Hentai's (Tentacruel) Surf, and then my Hentai took one of the Dragonites down with a Blizzard, the second one survived, got a Outrage off, and killed it. My hero that saved the day was Gengar, who's Shadow Ball decimated the last 2 Dragonites. My final team will be below.

----------------------
Nappy (Gengar) Lv. 50
- Thunder
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Sucker Punch
----------------------
Arthur (Nidoking) Lv. 43
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Avalanche
- Focus Blast
----------------------
Hentai (Tentacruel) Lv. 40
- Surf
- Toxic Spikes
- Waterfall
- Blizzard
----------------------
Edwin (Vileplume) Lv. 40
- Mega Drain
- Poison Powder
- Sleep Powder
- Solarbeam
----------------------
Jessie (Arbok) Lv. 40
- Mud Bomb
- Crunch
- Acid
- Glare
----------------------
Rouge (Crobat) Lv. 42
- U-turn
- Fly
- Confuse Ray
- Poison Fang

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
Glad to see the challenge is getting a lot more traction now, keep up the solid work guys.

The OP has been updated to post #78, as usual if you notice any errors, please let me know!

Kyuuji

Gold himself?
Years
I am glad to say I am gonna try competing in this challenge yet again, this time going through Soul Silver with Psychic types! It should give me a big enough challenge, maybe smaller than choosing Poison types but I've been wanting to do a Psychic type Monotype run for a while!
Wish me luck!

Forum User Name: Kyuuji
Game(s): Soul Silver
Pokémon Type: Psychic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back