• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Set or Switch?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
What battle style do you usually set when you play Pokemon games? I always keep mine at switch, but I've considered trying out set before to see if it makes the game harder.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
With the games I haven't really played, I like to keep it on Switch. For the games I'm more familiar with, I usually go for set until I get unlucky and angry at the game...then, it's back to switch.

MargatroidCA

Puppeteer of the Hail
Years
Oh always Set, I can't remember the last time I used Switch.

It's how competitive battles work, so I just prefer to emulate that to some small extent. Helps a little with the difficulty too.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
i always play switch, but i played set when i recently played my japanese sapphire since i mean. i couldn't read it anyway. it was surprisingly fun tbh. and it added to the challenge of the playthrough. i might try it on english copies now tbh. lol i'm always bitching about the series getting too easy and well. this is one way to help with that.

Sirfetch’d

Usually switch because I can't really be bothered changing it.

Years
Used to be Set ages back when I only ever trained my starter (when gen III were the newest sets of games), but Switch is my go-to now!

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
I'm pretty sure I've always had mine on Set and never really used Switch at all.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Is Switch the default? Cause if that's the case then I use that since I'm lazy. :p

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Oct 18, 2019
I really like it when I can make a Pokémon game challenging (as hard a task as that can be lol), so I always use Set.

Years
I've tried playing on set a couple of times, but more often than not I'm just too lazy to change it from switch. I try playing with a self-imposed set rule anyway, but it's not always convenient when training multiple Pokemon.

Years
Set is significantly more fun to me than Switch. It adds an extra layer of difficulty not knowing what Pokemon my opponent is going to send out next. Honestly, I'm so used to the Set option by now that I feel like having a sneak peek at the next Pokemon is kind of... cheating in a way. x.x

The Bellossom boi

Sometimes in set mode. I also attempt to avoid items in battle.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
I used to switch but then I'd switch and now I'm all set to set.

...Yeah sounds lame when I read it aloud but that's the thing, it's literally exactly what always happens. I play up to about the second or third gym on switch and then that kind of bores me out (more because of the extra slowness than anything else) and I switch to set. Except for the few beginning fights and maybe the E4 challenges, I nowadays stick on set.

Would you use Switch on the Switch?

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
I alternate my opinion on this.

For now Switch. It helps my team feel together, being able to go back and fourth more frequently. Also it helps distribute EXP.

Sometimes Set if I feel like having more strategy, but I don't usually play looking for a challenge, more so I play to wind down or get my mind away from something.

Back