• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you transfer your Pokémon to later games when they come out?

Years
Do you transfer Pokémon you've caught to future games when they come out, or do you play each game independently without transferring any Pokémon using only the mons obtainable in those games?

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
Years
I never transfer Pokémon from older games to new ones, simply because I don't feel like it's necessary. I don't grow too attached to them and I'm not into competitive battling, so I just play the new games with the Pokémon available in the region!

icycatelf

Alex
Years
I used to transfer all of my special and Shiny Pokémon, but now I only transfer Pokémon that I plan to keep on my team. I've got a bunch of Pokémon wasting away in the PC that I could've used on my teams in previous games if I hadn't transferred them...

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
I only ever transferred legendaries tied to events (like the three Regis from Gen 3 via Pal Park for Regigigas), and rarely transferred regular Pokemon from between game versions. Truth is, I have nobody else to play with, so I never really had the chance to trade between versions like Game Freak really wanted me to do. #singledslyfe

Years
99% of them yes, though I played most of Ultra Moon thinking you had to beat the E4 in order to transfer, but boy was I wrong. Just get the Pokedex and then transfer away. Oh silly me. Now Ultra Moon is my pixel dust collector...and I guess it will be for gen 8 because no national dex *cries*

Years
When I get a new game I only play with the new Pokemon but when I beat the game and get to the post-game I do transfer all of my previous teams, shinies and other to me special Pokemon. I like to have them all in one place so I can use them for various post-game things, collecting new ribbons,...
On my UltraSun for example I have a few Boxes of my old teams as well as a "VIP" Box with my first shiny, first level 100, first legendary, ribbon master and other for me special Pokemon. It sucks that this tradition of bringing all of my Pokemon to new Regions and "continuing the journey" is probably over forever because of this new "no national dex" direction that the Game Freak decided to take. :(

Years
I have a couple of times, though I've never really made a habit of it. I was too lazy to catch all the Unown again after collecting them all in FireRed though, so I transferred them up to HeartGold to complete the Unown Dex, traded them to Platinum, and then I think transferred them up to White 2. Was definitely a pain in the butt moving 28 Pokemon around that I really had no intention on using other than to preserve my collection.

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
Years
  • Age 42
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 9, 2021
I always transfer my living dex to the new game as it becomes my main one. I try not to use any of my previously bred pokemon on first run through though so as to not spoil the game.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I used to, but I don't plan on doing that this gen save for a couple of shinies, provided they're in the dex.

TheBatPrince

Banned
Years
Hmm, it all depends.

To root it to about pure Data, is not the way to play the Games. You have to acknowledge each Pokemon as a unique Creature; no matter what form its in! And, you have to acknowledge each Character that you occupy as being a portion of yourself. Wherever you bring that Pokemon, it will see a new World. A new Land, new Trees, New Water, etc.

Usually though as a kid, it was because my Brother wanted to Duel me with the only Game I had Pokemon in! Gold Version! So he'd bring in his Zapdos, Mewtwo, etc. All the usual coolies of the 1st Generation.

Latios360

The calm and quiet one
Years
I've been trying to lately, starting with Black and White because my link cable for my GB and GBA broke. It also depends on the Pokemon, like if I have Event Pokemon from GameStop or a Nintendo online event, or a shiny Pokemon (I dubbed both Treasure Pokemon), I'm trying to keep them with me in every game. Of course, if Sword and Shield don't have specific Pokemon in the 'dex, I'll transfer them to Ultra Moon instead, since I've yet to even start that game due to focusing on Ultra Sun for a while.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
The only kid around with just one console, I never able to transfer my existing team to the new game. Let alone get them without needing to transfer

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
In more recent games, no. I don't feel like paying money to access Pokemon Transporter. But older games? I did, yes. I don't think I'm going to continue to transfer to Pokemon Home, either, it feels like a waste of time if I might have to pay for it.

TheBatPrince

Banned
Years
The only kid around with just one console, I never able to transfer my existing team to the new game. Let alone get them without needing to transfer

Haha it's fine dude!

Most of these Pokemon Games can't be that worth it if a Company is making you buy a whole new several hundred dollar Console for it. Classic 101 Rule is you always have maximum 2-3 Consoles for a Franchise's Games.

Last edited:

The Bellossom boi

I don't plan to buy a Nintendo Online Membership, So my old Pokémon will be in the original games.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
i tend not to, unless it's just some rando thing i caught to breed and send off to the next gen. but my pokemon that i finish the game with tend to stay in the generation they're from. there's something about sending them up to the next generation that...makes me really uneasy? i can't describe it. i do, however, send some of my gba pokemon into heartgold after i finish the games, just because it's easier to preserve them that way than grabbing out the extra gba and cable and all. though lately i've been considering completing the national dex on my emerald version sooooo that might slow my rolls on that end and i'll be busting out the cables more.

transferring is annoying, anyway. pal park is annoying, that thing to transfer from gen 4 to 5 is annoying. bank finally got it...right, i guess. you just SEND them there. and you're done. i didn't renew my bank tho so whatever was in there is probably lost. sorry..........millions of helioptile from when i was shiny hunting..........

pkmin3033

I used to, but I guess I won't anymore, because GF can't be bothered to put them into the games!

Honestly this is the only way I could tolerate playing Gen VII - I didn't like any of the Pokemon available along the earlier routes, so I made a team of my favourites and transferred them across.

PkMnTrainerWilliam

Aspiring Professor's Aide
Years
I wasn't really able to until I gained access to Pokemon Bank, but I do so actively now, and with most of my Pokemon. I'll probably use Pokemon Home for that too, since I don't want to just leave them accessible only via the 3DS that I have, what with it being stuck to the wall charger due to not holding a charge anymore.

Years
I never traded pokemon to the next gen til I got pokebank now I always trade over to it when I'm finished with a game so I can use certain pokemon I want to on the next gen and I keep pokemon black as a portal for gen 4 so I can use the poke transfer

Back