• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Remove gender selection

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 19, 2019
Hi guys!
I was wondering if there is a way to remove the gender selection after the birch speech. I'm building my own hack rom and I want just a male character as in the first pokemon games.

Thank you in advice!

Lyzo

Back from vacation
Years
Yup definitely possible. Only requires a change of 2-3 lines of code.

Go to /src/main_menu.c. This file contains the entire new game sequence. You can change the entire sequence if you'd want (see Avara's post here on how to change the intro pokemon).

Specifically for removing the gender question: Go to line 1483, and edit the Task_NewGameBirchSpeech_WaitForPlayerFadeIn.

Comment out this line:
Code:
gTasks[taskId].func = Task_NewGameBirchSpeech_BoyOrGirl;
[B]change to:[/B]
//gTasks[taskId].func = Task_NewGameBirchSpeech_BoyOrGirl;

And add this above it (or replace the line commented out above with this):
Code:
gSaveBlock2Ptr->playerGender = MALE;
gTasks[taskId].func = Task_NewGameBirchSpeech_StartNamingScreen;

For the fully changed piece of code, which you can copy in, see the spoiler below:
Spoiler:
See the final result below:
Spoiler:

Little extra: For those looking where to change the intro speech text. Go to /data/text/birch_speech.inc, this contains all the text of the intro speech.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 19, 2019
Thank you mate! Quick and great answer. Thank you very much!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 19, 2019
Hi!
I've recently changed some code lines about "removing gender selection". I suggest to change also the "Task_NewGameBirchSpeech_ProcessNameYesNoMenu" function this way:

Code:
       case 1:
            PlaySE(SE_SELECT);
            gTasks[taskId].func = Task_NewGameBirchSpeech_StartNamingScreen;

This will prevent the game to go back to gender selection if you don't like your name and you press "no".

Back